Catcher Positioning on Warm Up Pitches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catcher Positioning on Warm Up Pitches

I recently saw a D1 college fall game. The catchers on one of the teams would position themselves right on top of the back of home plate during the warm up throws by their pitchers. The catcher's toes would literally be touching the bottom/back part of home plate.

It wasn't until the last warm up pitch, when the catcher would throw down, that the catcher moved back into a normal catching position in the catcher's box.

It was clearly intentional. Their catchers did it at the start of every inning. And it was two different catchers in the game for the team.

is there a reason why a catcher would want to take warm up pitches right on top of home plate, rather than be in a normal spot for catching?
    Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

While I've never seen or heard of this before...the only reason I'd take a guess at would be to allow the pitcher to see exactly where his warmup pitch is crossing the plate (for whatever reason they'd need to see that), since that's where I'm mentally picturing his glove would be with his feet in that position. But again, but a WAG on my part.
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

The only thing I could think of was that it's a way of trying to keep the ball clean. Maybe trying to ensure that you catch the ball before it possibly skips in the dirt? (I assumed this because I also saw players leaving the dugout during the game to chase down foul balls. I guess college teams are on a budget when it comes to baseballs? Dunno? Just a guess.)

I'm almost tempted to email the coach and ask.
      Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by Francis7 View Post
        I recently saw a D1 college fall game. The catchers on one of the teams would position themselves right on top of the back of home plate during the warm up throws by their pitchers. The catcher's toes would literally be touching the bottom/back part of home plate.

It wasn't until the last warm up pitch, when the catcher would throw down, that the catcher moved back into a normal catching position in the catcher's box.

It was clearly intentional. Their catchers did it at the start of every inning. And it was two different catchers in the game for the team.

is there a reason why a catcher would want to take warm up pitches right on top of home plate, rather than be in a normal spot for catching?
        I was able to connect with the coach and I asked him about it. This is what he was kind enough to share:

We have the catcher start on top of the plate to help the pitchers get the feeling of throwing downhill. Moving the catcher to the top of the plate helps force the pitcher to get that feeling.

Comment

Kinda of different scenario - I've seen a youth team where the coach (dad) would warm-up the pitcher at the beginning of the game/innings while the catcher (son) would sit on the bench and take one pitch and throw it down...

Comment

I am not a big fan of doing something different than real life situations. It seems like this would tend to make the pitcher throw his first few real pitches into the dirt. I've seen lots of D1 assistant coaches do stupid things. They are just out of school, and are still learning how to coach/win.
            Last edited by songtitle; 10-13-2018, 06:42 PM.
            efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
              I've seen lots of D1 assistant coaches do stupid things. They are just out of school, and are still learning how to coach/win.
              I love this comment.... I can't tell you how many times I see a younger kid straight out of college start coaching and as they know the game, they don't know how to coach, plan practices, etc. But a lot of 'travel teams' will try to sell you on them. I coached when I was young as well - I know so much more today than I ever did at 22/23 years old.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X