New catcher's gear certification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tcvander View Post

I take it that this is an improvement from their older System7 gear where the chest protector was somewhat spongy.
    It's night and day. The new allstar NOCSAE one makes the 950x seem like a dish towel. I'm a thousand years old. Our very first life preservers when I was a kid actually had blocks of wood in them. That's the first thing I thought of when I got my hands on the protector today.
    Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
      OK, let's ferret this out a little bit. First, commotio cordis can only happen when a the moon, sun, and all the planets align perfectly, and the "precordial thump" happens exactly in the precise fraction of a second the ventricles are repolarizing, and the hit has to be in the exact right location, at the exact right pressure...and why the actual numbers are really very low (10 total incidences per year, 5 of those in "competitive sports", and let's give baseball 3 of those five, and that doesn't differentiate those of catchers vs. others on the field...pitchers for instance) compared to other sudden death scenarios. As in....
      • Commotio cordis in baseball - 3 fatalities per year in the U.S.
      • Furniture tipping over on someone - 12 fatalities per year in the U.S.
      • Lightning strikes - 20 fatalities per year in the U.S.
      • Killed by a cow - 20 fatalities per year in the U.S.
      • Killed by a dog - 30-40 fatalities per year in the U.S.
      • Killed while riding a bike - 722 fatalities per year in the U.S.
      So there's a 4 times greater chance that the chest of drawers in the corner will get you than commotio cordis in a baseball game, and a 240 times greater chance the Schwinn Stingray we used to ride would be our demise than getting smacked in the chest at the exact right moment with a baseball to do us in...but yet let's start handwringing, certifying, and mandating equipment rules to make everyone think they're going to be a whole lot safer than they already are.
      Just imagine the mass panic we'd have if a "killer cow" happened to wander down onto or near the field.....RUUUUNNNNN!!!!!!
      My best guess...same as I told my son when he bellyached about the new requirement...

Blame the school. They don't want the insurance hassle and the potential program shutdown if they happen to be the one in a million where some kid has his heart stop.

Travel teams and tournaments are fine just asking you to sign a waiver. But, the schools would rather you do this...

Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

Comment

That was a good laugh Mud. For more interesting ones (these are in comparison to shark attacks, another thing people freak out about), see the link: https://www.sharksider.com/know-dang...hark%E2%80%A8/. Actually driving my kid to practice is my biggest worry for injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis7 View Post

It's night and day. The new allstar NOCSAE one makes the 950x seem like a dish towel. I'm a thousand years old. Our very first life preservers when I was a kid actually had blocks of wood in them. That's the first thing I thought of when I got my hands on the protector today.
          My son has a mixed bag of gear...All-Star System 7 mask(s) and leg guards, but he does have the Rawling 950x chest protector because of how stiff it is. Might have to look into the All-Star NOCSAE.
          Sent from my mobile device... probably while driving...

Comment

Originally posted by tcvander View Post

My son has a mixed bag of gear...All-Star System 7 mask(s) and leg guards, but he does have the Rawling 950x chest protector because of how stiff it is. Might have to look into the All-Star NOCSAE.
            If he's playing HS, he will need the NOCSAE in 2020.

Comment

I agree Francis, the new All-Star System 7 Axis is very thick and stiff. My son was due for a new chest protector, out growing his old System 7, so I went ahead and got him the new one for Christmas. The worst thing I've seen is blocking, makes it much harder to keep the ball close because it bounces off the new one. I was thinking about maybe breaking it in like you do a glove with a glove mallet? It is over kill, but what are you going to do, gotta meet the standard.

Comment

Maybe we can monetize this ourselves. What if we could sell a rolling safety cage everybody must use when they enter furniture stores to protect against being crushed? If we patent it now and have it in stores by 2021, we'll be rich!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X