Perfect Game pitch count rules / MLB Pitch Smart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Game pitch count rules / MLB Pitch Smart

We are playing in a PG tournament this weekend. As many of you know they follow the MLB Pitch Smart rules. I have had to take classes for MLB Pitch Smart in the past for LL All Stars, so I am pretty familiar with them. The issue that is coming up is the pitch count and crossing a threshold during a batter. Per the PG website:

“Once a pitcher reaches his daily maximum limit, he must be removed from the game. If a pitcher reaches the maximum limit of pitches in a game during a batter’s plate appearance, the pitcher may continue in the game until such plate appearance or the inning ends (i.e. by a third out made by catching a runner stealing), whichever comes first. There is no team penalty for this, but the pitcher must adhere to prescribed pitch counts for the remainder of the event.”

As I have always known it, it means that if you reach a threshold level during a batter, you can finish pitching to that batter and then you defer back to the threshold you crossed during the batter. For example, a pitcher has 19 pitches starting a new batter. His first pitch to the batter is #20, the max/threshold for needing zero days rest. He then is allowed to finish this batter. He throws two more pitches to retire the batter and then he comes out of the game. Because he crossed the threshold during the at bat, he is still the zero days rest threshold.

from Little League’s site:

“ If a pitcher reaches a day(s) of rest threshold while facing a batter, the pitcher may continue to pitch until any one of the following conditions occurs: (1) that batter reaches base; (2) that batter is retired; or (3) the third out is made to complete the half-inning or the game. The pitcher will only be required to observe the calendar day(s) of rest for the threshold he/she reached during that at-bat, provided that pitcher is removed or the game is completed before delivering a pitch to another batter.”

The opposing coaches in the tournament are telling us that it is hard stop at 20. We tried talking to the umpires about it and they didn’t even want to make a stance. They said to call the tournament director. I did try and left him a message to call me back, and no call back. My coach is concerned we now have two starters who can’t pitch tomorrow because we let them finish the batter when they crossed the 20 pitch threshold. I am trying to assure him they are still able to pitch on Sunday.

Does anyone know on the web that has good interpretation of the rule and actually show that it’s from MLB Pitch Smart or PG? The Little League one is good but I am sure people would say it’s LL rules and not PG’s, even though they follow the same program.

sorry for the long post.

I'm almost sure the pitcher is allowed to finish the batter (not a hard stop). Did you get a response from the tournament director?

Comment

It is a hard stop at 20. You are not allowed to finish the batter. I had the same questions and went to PG directors and I was told this. For the record I hate playing guys that try and let everybody throw 20 pitches and take them out. It slows the game down really bad.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X