HS Varsity Jackets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS Varsity Jackets

How does your HS handle this? If you play just one game with the Varsity team, do you get a letter for your jacket? Does it matter if what grade you're in?

I know some kids who got jackets as Freshmen last year for soccer and tennis. My kid said that's because there's only Varsity for those sports.

My son knows someone who played Varsity all year last year as a Freshmen and he doesn't have a jacket.

I said that's probably because he didn't want to spend the money to buy one and have the letter out on it - not because there's something that says Freshmen shouldn't wear jackets.

In any event, how is this handled at your HS?
    Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

Not HS, but this is California at its worst in a nutshell. Our middle school basketball team let us buy these personalized warm up jackets. A week after they show up, the Principal tells the kids they can't wear them at school because not everybody on the team has one. The way I heard it was it was two kids between the three grades (one joined late and the other didn't want one). So they used school funds to buy the two jackets that didn't show up until after the season for a kid who was added due to injury and another who didn't want one while pretty much annoying everybody.

Comment

At the local high school you earn a varsity letter for appearing in a percentage of the varsity team's games, something like half?

That's also how I remember it working when I was in HS, we got letters from the school after the season ended, but you had to buy your own jacket. I definitely remember a few Freshman who lettered getting jackets, although some kids didn't get jackets because they're pretty expensive IIRC. Anyway, the criteria for lettering should be set by the school.

Comment

I know at our school they get their letters at the end of year banquet...or whatever it's called.
        Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

Comment

My youngest got his $450 lettermen's jacket the end of his junior season....and never once wore it....EVER! Aarrgghh!!! #$%&#@! =(

My oldest never wanted one. Yay! =)
          In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

I asked chief jr every year if he wanted one. He always said no. Jackets/letters didn't matter to him at all.
            Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

Comment

My son never wanted a jacket (I tried to buy him one)... He got his 4 letters at the baseball dinner every year. JV players that were called up for a few games did not receive letters, neither did players who were excused from the team mid-season.
              I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

Comment

I don't think kids wear them much anymore. I asked my son if kids wear them and he didn't know what I was talking about. Maybe they should switch to hoodies?

Comment

We issue letters but the jacket, itself, has to be purchased by the player and/or parents. My daughter got one her freshman year and lettered all 4 years. She wore it through college. She had her letters, all area patches, all state patches, the conference championships, and regional championship patches displayed. We had that jacket cleaned and stored it properly during the summers so that she would have it to wear each fall/winter/spring. We got more than our monies worth from it. When she got to college, some of her teammates from other parts of the country were jealous of all of the patches etc. she had on it. (Jealous in a nice way.) We now have it stored that some day her kids can look at it. It is impressive.

Edited to add:

I forget to mention that she also has her golf letter and various patches from golf on the jacket as well. Our school, starting this year, will also have an academic letter.

I also forgot to mention per a comment in this thread earlier, that each head coach sets the criteria for letters with the AD. I set mine for baseball, softball, basketball and golf. I think that they are all in place now even after I moved on. That criteria once discussed with the AD and put in place can not be changed without the consent of the AD. So, in each sport, the requirements for letters is outlined in the parent meeting.
                  Last edited by Cannonball; 10-29-2018, 10:19 AM.
                  Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

I would have to imagine it's like the HS ring. I wanted one so bad when I got to HS. And, I was so happy to get it my senior year. But, come September when I went to college, it was collecting dust on my dresser. Being a college kid, I was too cool to wear my HS ring...

Comment

At our high school letters were awarded at the end of the season. The general rule was x number of minutes or innings played for each sport. They did make exceptions. The same letters were awarded for academic honors. If a player wanted a jacket they had to purchase it. There was a local store who would order the “official” high school jacket.

The only team where everyone got a jacket was football. All the high school teams my kids played on received pullovers. My kids never purchased a jacket. They tacked the letters on their cork board over their desks.

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                        My youngest got his $450 lettermen's jacket the end of his junior season....and never once wore it....EVER! Aarrgghh!!! #$%&#@! =(

My oldest never wanted one. Yay! =)
                        My kids didn’t want the jackets. I have one from the 70’s. I’ve worn it once when it was given to me. It’s the only piece of clothing I haven’t tossed for not wearing other than my college baseball jacket. When my son was ten (I was 48) he asked me to wear my college baseball jacket. I told him I would rather paint a large L on my forehead.
                        Last edited by JettSixty; 10-29-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Earning letters varies by sport and by school. On DD's high school softball team, each player had to 'participate' in 1/2 of the regular season games in order to letter. The assistant coach joked with DD, telling her she earned two letters. Not only did she play enough to qualify, but as a pitcher with the highest batting average on the team, another girl qualified for a letter simply for being DD's courtesy runner.

DD also earned a letter her freshman year in basketball. For that sport, each player needed to enter the game in a minimum of half the quarters the team played during the regular season. She quit basketball after her freshman year.
                          "Once you stop learning, you start dying" -- Albert Einstein.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
                            My son never wanted a jacket (I tried to buy him one)... He got his 4 letters at the baseball dinner every year. JV players that were called up for a few games did not receive letters, neither did players who were excused from the team mid-season.
                            This is my experience too... ^

Comment

Back in Cali, our high school would give out letters and patches at the end of the year at the awards banquet. Like you all said, then the student was responsible for purchasing his/her own jacket and having the patches sewn on. Our school pretty much gave out the letter and patches as long as you were on the team at the end of year.

Since I have moved to Texas, I have noticed they do things a little different out here. Back in Cali, letters were for sports only. At my daughter's high school in Texas, they give letters for band, theater, and other such type of performing arts. Also, back in Cali, people would make up designs to have embroidered on the back of their jacket. For example, one of the three sport athletes had a cartoon Tiger, our mascot, with a football helmet and shoulders pads, with a baseball bat draped over one of his shoulders and then his foot was propped up on a basketball. Here in Texas, they just have their last names embroidered on the back.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X