Non wrap bat grips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non wrap bat grips

Can anyone suggest a non wrap style bat grip? My son likes to twist the bat handle while he is walking to the plate which has led us to his Lizard Skin grips coming apart in the middle and replacing them almost every month. So I am now on a hunt for a single piece grip where his twisting habit won't do as much damage. Doesn't look like there are a ton of them out there.

Originally posted by Colonel21 View Post
    Can anyone suggest a non wrap style bat grip? My son likes to twist the bat handle while he is walking to the plate which has led us to his Lizard Skin grips coming apart in the middle and replacing them almost every month. So I am now on a hunt for a single piece grip where his twisting habit won't do as much damage. Doesn't look like there are a ton of them out there.
    athletic tape?

Comment

I used one of these around 4 years ago. Bit of a bitch to get on. But, I did it and it was good: https://www.amazon.com/Mission-13290.../dp/B00J27ZMNM
      Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

Comment

those Amazon reviews tho

Comment

Originally posted by mys View Post

athletic tape?
          He doesn't like athletic tape. He likes some cushioning in the grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis7 View Post

I used one of these around 4 years ago. Bit of a bitch to get on. But, I did it and it was good: https://www.amazon.com/Mission-13290.../dp/B00J27ZMNM
            I saw those. Then I read the reviews also and how easily they tear when being put on. The reviews definitely scared me a away.

Comment

Switch to Axe Bat and he won't spin around the handle.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingmachine3 View Post
                Switch to Axe Bat and he won't spin around the handle.
                The elbows get closer to each other during the swing forward, so at least one of the hands is 'spinning' around the handle. It seems like the bottom hand should be the one spinning, so the Axe bat seems backwards to me. Maybe that's why you don't see MLB hitters use it daily.

Personally, I think maybe there should only be tape for the top hand.
                Last edited by songtitle; 10-30-2018, 03:16 PM.
                efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

I guess let me be clearer, he is not spinning his hands in his swing, it is when he is walking up to the plate or when getting the sign from the coach. He had the bat vertical in his hands and it’s almost like his hands are “wringing out a wet towel”. That is causing the grip to eventually come loose in the middle.

Comment

He doesn't like athletic tape. He likes some cushioning in the grip.
                    if he doesn't mind a thicker handle, you can put the athletic tape over a bat grip. I had a friend who used tennis grips back in the day. you could probably use the thinnest baseball grip with a athletic tape topping and approximate the thickness of the thicker off the shelf bat grips.

Comment

I saw those. Then I read the reviews also and how easily they tear when being put on. The reviews definitely scared me a away.
                      I can't remember exactly how I got it on. I do remember that it was a struggle and I cursed a lot doing it. But, I did get it on, without ripping it, etc. And, I am not the most "handy" person in terms of doing this type of stuff, FWIW.
                      Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by mys View Post

if he doesn't mind a thicker handle, you can put the athletic tape over a bat grip. I had a friend who used tennis grips back in the day. you could probably use the thinnest baseball grip with a athletic tape topping and approximate the thickness of the thicker off the shelf bat grips.
                        My catcher in high school used to use a tennis grip on his C-Core (man I miss that bat). I remember it actually felt really nice when I swung his bat a few times. But I may have to try going with a thing wrap grip and then athletic tape on top.

Anyone try Vulcan grips before? I noticed Amazon has them for only $9.99. So I ordered one to see how it would work with his "twisting".

Comment

I guess let me be clearer, he is not spinning his hands in his swing, it is when he is walking up to the plate or when getting the sign from the coach. He had the bat vertical in his hands and it’s almost like his hands are “wringing out a wet towel”. That is causing the grip to eventually come loose in the middle.
                          Maybe just have him change his routine so he's not tearing up his bat grips?

Or if he has his own $$$ make him responsible for purchasing/installing grips when he tears them up?

Comment

image_153811.jpg

I buy these at my local Wally World (walmart) they have black, white, royal, red. they are real rubber and good grip. I actually found them on sale for $1.87 one day and bought all they had, but even at $4 a pack that's about $1.30 a grip.... So let him twist away :-)

Comment

My catcher in high school used to use a tennis grip on his C-Core (man I miss that bat). I remember it actually felt really nice when I swung his bat a few times. But I may have to try going with a thing wrap grip and then athletic tape on top.

Anyone try Vulcan grips before? I noticed Amazon has them for only $9.99. So I ordered one to see how it would work with his "twisting".
                              Vulcan grips seem extra tacky. My son has gotten blisters using them before. For cheap ones, I personally really like buying Karakal super grips in bulk (sometimes you can get a box under $50 on eBay or Amazon), but you usually can find them in smaller numbers to try out.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X