Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to spend large recurring donation (13u TB)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to spend large recurring donation (13u TB)?

While our team ended up staying together, we did make some changes and are operating as a independent team for the coming year. This has meant creating and communicating a budget, collecting money, etc. We intended to carry 12 players but are currently at 11. Budget is $1600 pp. No real interest in fundraising in this group. FWIW, we are a decent team, typically considered a team to beat locally.

The way things stand, it looks like starting with 14u we are going to be able to get a large, recurring donation that would be able to pay for the majority of our expenses at our current budget level. I'm expecting a smaller, but still substantial, donation that we can apply to this season and will just wave final payment from everyone and maybe buy some swag or something with the leftover.

So, if you had essentially free money for a 14u team that was already established, how would you spend it?

- Carry the same budget you normally would and just collect whats needed and make it a great value?
    - Hire a professional coach (We currently have paid trainers indoors in the offseason but run the games and outdoor practices ourselves)?
    - Dangle a carrot (a Disney tournament or something) to get everyone to stick around through 15?
    - Pyrotechnics for walk ups?
    - Something else?

It's a good problem to have, that's for sure.

What are some of the weaknesses in the way you are training indoors right now?

Most indoor training, IMO, has flaws and weaknesses. Can you overcome those with more money?

Comment

Originally posted by bbrages View Post
      What are some of the weaknesses in the way you are training indoors right now?

Most indoor training, IMO, has flaws and weaknesses. Can you overcome those with more money?
      i feel like our indoor training is very effective defensively, and we have done performance training/cross fit that has been really beneficial. i think where we have struggled is pitching and hitting. its just difficult to get everyone the attention they need in a team setting with limited space indoors. so, hitting in particular becomes more about reps than anything else. i know many here scoff at lessons for younger kids, but i think there is a definite difference on our team between the kids who spend time on their own with an instructor and those who do not.

it would be cool to provide individual lessons out of the team budget with this money.

Comment

I would keep it simple. Keep the same budget and make it a great value. That way, the parents--not a paternal organization--determine how to spend the windfall on their child's instruction, etc., if they decide to do so.
        Skip

Comment

So, if you had essentially free money for a 14u team that was already established, how would you spend it?

- Carry the same budget you normally would and just collect whats needed and make it a great value?
          This one. ^^^

Like Skip said, keep it simple.

Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

Comment

I'd double down on strength and conditioning training.....if you can find an expert with baseball specific knowledge...

Comment

Originally posted by abc123 View Post
              ^^^ This is all we ever did ^^^....and let the parents decide what "a great value" meant. IOWs, if they wanted to do a "vaca-tourney" in some distant land that was their choosing (we never did because we had some of the best competition in our own backyard), or any of the "swag" was on them....we basically just coached, and collected only uniform costs, team liability insurance, whatever tournament costs (entry fees, baseballs, umpire fees...), or the occasional practice field rental before we were absorbed by a long established academy that had their own, and we used for free.

If we ever needed something outside of the above (couple boxes of practices ball, new bases, replacement portable L-screen...), we'd simply "let the word get out" IYKWIM, and magically what we needed or the funds for it would be there in a week or two, either from one parent or a group effort.

Btw, we only collected money when we had the need for it. IOWs, a new player only had to pay for uniforms ("home and away" jerseys, belt, socks, hat, and practice tee-shirts), and tournament fees were collected the week before the tourney (if you didn't pay you didn't play, so we very rarely had any non-payers before the first game started)....and no, we didn't do any fundraising either, it was simply a pay as you go system.

While a couple folks struggled with payments sometimes, either another parent(s) or myself would help them through a tourney here or there as long as they let us know in advance...but for the most part, since we didn't have any big upfront cost to play for us, and as long as the parents saw where their money was going...we never had a problem or complaint about it.

So any windfall large donation to the team would simply mean the parents/players are pretty much playing for free, or a lot less than they would normally be paying. Congrats on the donation, having to decide on how to spend it is like you say...."a good problem to have". =)
              Last edited by mudvnine; 11-19-2018, 09:38 AM.
              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

How about lowering the cost to play significantly? You might draw some talent that might otherwise not have the money to play for a $1600 team.

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
                  How about lowering the cost to play significantly? You might draw some talent that might otherwise not have the money to play for a $1600 team.
                  right. that is the first option and what most here seem to agree is the right approach. i do feel a little weird about using it as a recruitment vehicle for some reason, especially if it means that the talent that we attract would push out other kids, even though i think 2 of them might be at the end of the road this year.

i don't think $1600 itself is keeping many away. if you play on a team that is practicing indoors (and just about all teams do), there is no way to stay < $1000 as far as I can tell. we have field fees this year and spend more on training than cheaper teams which is the bulk of the difference.

i do think that a $1000 credit pp or something would be a draw though.

Comment

Originally posted by abc123 View Post
                    - Hire a professional coach (We currently have paid trainers indoors in the offseason but run the games and outdoor practices ourselves)?
                    - Dangle a carrot (a Disney tournament or something) to get everyone to stick around through 15?
                    - Pyrotechnics for walk ups?
                    - Something else?

It's a good problem to have, that's for sure.
                    Something we did with our fundraising efforts and sponsorship was to help parents offset their travel cost. We had base requirements for each family to hit and then took a portion of that and put it into separate "accounts" for each family that they could draw from for our out of town tournaments for hotel, gas or whatever; worked out pretty well.
                    Sent from my mobile device... probably while driving...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X