Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make baseball interesting?

I mean...
    Where most of the people don't know that baseball exist in their country for decades. Where most of them don't even know there is a local team in their town.
    Kids like it till it's easy and we just play simple games in schools. But they have to learn catching, pitching, batting, running, etc. properly. Just a few of them come to train on the field and most of them leave. We do our best, watch other trainers videos, we visit baseball coaches' clinics featured e.g. Bill Holmberg, Shawn Bowman, John Vodenlich, Mark Fuller, Don Freeman and more.
    But what works on some kids, not works on every kid here. They don't want to be professional baseball players. It's still a foreign sport.
    Parents don't know much about this whole thing... not more than they know from a movie. So they not interested, kids ... maybe... But adults will choose other sports to watch in tv, read an article, send their kids to training.

How to make baseball interesting, fetching where people don't care about it?

The best and oldest drill in the game is way interesting to those whom are introduced to these objects for the first time, they don't even have to be taught how.

Start with a ball and 2 gloves for some time before the bats come out! It starts with the basics!

Over the line did it for me.
    Primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by sbsky33 View Post
      How to make baseball interesting, fetching where people don't care about it?
      In time, after dismissing the sport at first, parents/adults will start to get interested in it when their kids become passionate about it. Kids will get interested in it when their friends are interested in it. So, it starts with getting some kids really interested in it - then it cascades from there to more kids, and, eventually, the adults. That said, don't try at first to get EVERYONE into it. That's not something that can be done in one shot. Focus on planting that seed in the right spots and then give it time.

Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

Comment

Hitting- smacking the ball- is at the top of the list as to what is most interesting and enjoyable. If you can modify baseball to make it more continuous action- like soccer- then you may draw people in.
        Major Figure

Comment

What kills the game as much as anything is everyone standing around shagging balls in BP or fielding etc. while one or two are actually doing something. From there, allowing players to play multiple positions during games at early ages will make the game more interesting. I think that allowing a team to hit the entire team at early ages has been a good thing.

A different direction on this but one that is important is to simply let the kids play. My goodness, it seems that a kid can't even play catch without an adult telling them how to do it. When I was young, my brother and I played catch all of the time. It was fun. Adults left us alone. At Thanksgiving, my great niece grabbed her glove and we went outside and played catch. Kids are being over coached in every aspect of the game and when they fail, they hear about it. Adults leave them alone when they play video games because the adults can't compete with them in those skills.

Notice that I draw a difference between a practice situation and when the player is just wanting to play catch, hit, ... away from the team.
          Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by omg View Post
            Hitting- smacking the ball- is at the top of the list as to what is most interesting and enjoyable. If you can modify baseball to make it more continuous action- like soccer- then you may draw people in.
            wait, you're saying soccer is interesting?

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
              What kills the game as much as anything is everyone standing around shagging balls in BP or fielding etc. while one or two are actually doing something. From there, allowing players to play multiple positions during games at early ages will make the game more interesting. I think that allowing a team to hit the entire team at early ages has been a good thing.

A different direction on this but one that is important is to simply let the kids play. My goodness, it seems that a kid can't even play catch without an adult telling them how to do it. When I was young, my brother and I played catch all of the time. It was fun. Adults left us alone. At Thanksgiving, my great niece grabbed her glove and we went outside and played catch. Kids are being over coached in every aspect of the game and when they fail, they hear about it. Adults leave them alone when they play video games because the adults can't compete with them in those skills.

Notice that I draw a difference between a practice situation and when the player is just wanting to play catch, hit, ... away from the team.
              That's a good post.
              Major Figure

Comment

Originally posted by bluedawg View Post

wait, you're saying soccer is interesting?
                For the kids playing it- yes. For me, no, I don't really get it. Apparently there's a lot of stuff involved though.
                Major Figure

Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I will use these informations on trainings :-)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X