Heavy bag/punching bag set up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy bag/punching bag set up

Just got done reading Science of Hitting (great read by the way). One of my favorite parts was the piece where he was talking about the point of contact being the same action as using an ax to cut down a tree. Then he says to take a bat and hit it against a pole (ouch, LOL). Of course right away I started thinking about a hitting bag / punching bag for this. I found a punching bag for around $50 that I want to pick up, but I don't have any place in my garage to hang it. Do any of you guys have a set up with a bag that is not hanging?

While I'm not a big fan of that part of an otherwise excellent book, and never had my hitters hitting immovable "solid" objects...I have seen some set them up with the heavy bag attached to a pole (most were just athletic or duct taped to it), or with a couple "ratchet straps" (with the ratchet in the back obviously) others attached to/sitting on a chair leaning and against a wall, where both seemed to get the job done for what I think it is you're looking to do with it.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Something similar, but in my opinion more effective is the following:
      1.) setup a 2" pipe in the ground with concrete (about 5' tall; above ground)
      2.) Take 2 old car tires and bore at least 2" hole in the top and bottom (standing upright)
      3.) Place each tire over the pole, one tire on top of the other.

Then use the drill you described above to make contact with the tire. But in this case, you can swing through it, with enough strength to pivot the top tire.
      Josh Greer
      LynkSpyder - Chain Link Fence Camera Mount
      (Links aren't allowed....Google us.)

Comment

Originally posted by LynkSpyder View Post
        Something similar, but in my opinion more effective is the following:
        1.) setup a 2" pipe in the ground with concrete (about 5' tall; above ground)
        2.) Take 2 old car tires and bore at least 2" hole in the top and bottom (standing upright)
        3.) Place each tire over the pole, one tire on top of the other.

Then use the drill you described above to make contact with the tire. But in this case, you can swing through it, with enough strength to pivot the top tire.
        Sounds like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6-jueiePk

Not looking for him to swing through though. Not what I am looking for out this drill. I want him to get to contact and stop. Here is an old post from Baseball Fever that I found that has some posts that do explain what I am trying to do with the drill.

https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum...s-hitting-tool

Comment

If you can get a worn out dock seal from a trucking company that is replacing them, you can attach to a tree or wall and get what you are after. They work great and have a treated wood side the works for mounting to something and are made to be outdoors. Not sure how to mount a heavy bag other than over a post like a football sled or as someone else mentioned, strapped to something.

Comment

I bought a bag like this and hung it in my basement hoping it would be useful in hitting. It wasn't. At all. It really tells you nothing. And if you swing hard enough to make a difference, you could injure yourself when the bat slams against the bag. So if you swing properly, you could get injured. If you swing the wrong way by trying to muscle or push the bat forward, it may feel great but you will practice the wrong thing.

One should really focus on learning to turn the bat head early (before the back elbow 'touches' the hip). 90%+ of kids start moving the bathead around/forward AFTER this.
            Last edited by songtitle; 11-26-2018, 01:14 PM.
            efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

I love the heavy bag. Hitters can swing full blast into contact and check their own weight distribution at various contact points. Instead of me having to coach them up a bunch, they can figure it out on their own. It's also like hitting a heavy TCB ball or similar. Players just try to smash through it. The heavy bag gets good use at my facility.

Comment

I always like this demo.‚Äč

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X