• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WailukuHeights
    replied
    "Let it get deep"?
    "Drive it back up the middle"?
    We have some dead-pull hitters that we use those cues with. If they're yanking fastballs down the third base line foul, they're usually dead on the curveball or change. We try to give them the mindset of taking the middle to middle-out fastball to right-center and pulling the off-speed/breaking stuff. This is also 12/13u.

My son is kinda the opposite, seems late on a decent fastball, but hits the breaking stuff well.

Leave a comment:

• Cannonball
    replied
    Matt, while this won't help, my daughter struggled with slow stuff all of her career. What we would then say is for her to sit on everything and drive it opposite. Also, when she hit, we would point out that when it really matters, she won't be hitting against slow pitchers. That turned out to be the case.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe
    replied
    After playing baseball my whole life the same thing happened my first at-bat in slow pitch softball. I probably swung 3 seconds early. It was like an eephus pitch. Probably just needs more reps between speeds. Pregame BP is super important. Could try a heavier bat against slow pitchers. Play up in the batter's box.

Leave a comment:

• mattun
    replied
    I don't think it's the curveball effect. He's not swinging over or under it. He's on line, just early on everything. Like he's finishing his swing as the pitch is crossing the plate.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe
    replied
    Does the slow pitch have a hump in it? Maybe its more of curveball effect. Live bp would be best to learn timing cues from a pitcher. I remember Wade Boggs saying he learned to hit a curve from identifying the ball going up after hand release and learning to wait on it. I could imagine a rainbow throw might be similar.

Leave a comment:

• mattun
    replied
    He's actually been having issues with BP pitching this year since they started up. Same kind of thing. Super early, pulling everything foul when he does make contact. It got to the point one of the coaches started bringing his college kid out so there would be somebody to throw harder (and I think he wants to sit on bucket for half of practice). It's really be worse so far this year, hopefully it's just rust. I really can't wait to get to the bigger diamond. He seemed to really dig the tournament we played up in last year with the faster pitchers and further distance. He might just be all juiced up for the last year of short distance mound with the better pitchers over 60mph and swinging a 33/28 isn't helping (maybe he's starting he swing too early to get that moving in time). Anyway, thanks for the tips.

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    If you can hit BP pitching you can hit slow pitching. Anything else is an excuse for not making adjustments. It’s not as if a pusser
    is going to hump up and surprise you with heat.

Leave a comment:

• songtitle
    replied
    At 12U I told them to count to 1 (or 2, whatever worked), before they moved. Seemed to help some.

Leave a comment:

• pattar
    replied
    Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
    I wouldn't do anything about it.
    IOW, I bet he can crush the same lob pitches all day long when he's playing home run derby with his friends.
    This is an important comment imo from the perspective that maybe he doesn't actually play HR derby and hence doesn't have enough
    reps against slow pitching in order to learn to adjust for it. Of late, every other BP session or so, I will have my daughter stand to
    the side while I throw to get a feel for the speed of the "pitcher", e.g. get her timing down. Then she will swing. I will then say I am bringing
    in a new pitcher with a different speed and she will again stand on the side in the "on deck circle" to get her timing down.

As a kid I faced all kinds of speeds playing ball with my friends ranging from lob when we were playing HR derby and wiffle ball, to my father throwing BP to me to speedball where a pinky ball was hurled at us from like 20 feet away....
    Last edited by pattar; 02-14-2019, 07:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skipper5
    replied
    I wouldn't do anything about it.
    First of all, it's not important that he's able to hit lob pitching.
    Second of all, it's not physical, it's mental--i.e., a programmed response about approx. when to swing against a pitcher who is wearing a uniform in a game.
    IOW, I bet he can crush the same lob pitches all day long when he's playing home run derby with his friends.
    Last edited by skipper5; 02-13-2019, 02:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bluedawg
    replied
    My son could rake on velo, but was the same with the slowpitch Sunday league stuff. 2 things I can suggest:

1) adjust to the ball speed, not the arm speed!!!
    2) All back, all forward type swings are really problematic for this. Once he starts his forward move, he's basically committed. Need to work on sequencing of the swing -loading through the toe touch and in to the heel plant. The differences there can be enough to allow that little extra time needed to adjust to off speed later in life.

Leave a comment:

• mattun
    started a topic Curing Pedro Cerrano Jr.

Curing Pedro Cerrano Jr.

So my 12-year-old has always been dead red. He will adjust and hit home runs off change ups and other offspeed, but what absolutely murders him is the crappy Saturday slow pitcher. Like he'll crush one in the 1st inning, then they'll yank the pitcher next time through the order and he'll swing and miss three straight (all look in line with the pitch, just a second early). It doesn't seem like a huge deal because this situation never happens on Sunday, but it got some chuckles last weekend when they brought in an ex-teammate who never really pitched before his second at bat and he stuck him out swinging. Outside of sacrificing a live chicken, I was thinking off mixing in half a bucket with the pitching machine turned down 10-15mph every time he hits. Any other tips for a batter like this?
    Last edited by mattun; 02-13-2019, 12:20 PM.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X