outfield glove help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outfield glove help

My son's outfield glove has broken down recently. It's a Vinci with kip leather. I thought this one would last longer but it has lost it's strength, is a bit floppy, and twists easily. The pinky and thumb areas are not thick and stiff like the a2000 Kershaw pitching glove I bought recently. His coach told him to get a new one if possible.

So, I'm looking at the Wilson a2000 1799 with superskin and without. I don't know if the superskin backing on the fingers makes for a less stable feel to the glove, but I've read that it's lighter and breaks in a little faster than the regular leather backing.

The other one is the Rawlings HOH Pro3039-6BGR. It looks like the basic HOH 12.75". I think that the a2000's break in a bit faster, but not sure.

My son is a freshman on the JV team and is just hitting his growth spurt. I was thinking that the superskin would work best for him because of it's lighter weight. I want this glove to last long, hopefully through High School ball, and I don't know if superskin on an outfield glove would effect it durability.

Are there any other outfield gloves that are the same quality as these that I should consider? The Pro-H web is what he wants.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When my sons played HS ball, money was tight. We couldn't spend on bats. But we never skimped on gloves. They're a difference-maker. Physically and mentally.

So my advice is to buy the best glove you can afford, and don't concern yourself with durability. Even if you have to replace it annually.

If you asked me about tires, I'd say the same thing.
    Skip

Comment

Now we're talking fun! I cannot speak to the Wilson, but the 1799 has a reputation for having a huge handstall. If you have access to the gloves you want to try, bring an inexpensive postal scale and weigh them. You might find that what was advertised as lightweight isn't so much. Only one way to accurately find out. Here's a Rawlings example: my son's 3rd base gamer is a NP5 with mesh. It weighs 1.54 on my scale. In the waiting is a RGGNP5 all leather. It weighs 1.44. One ounce is not a significant amount until you bring in the advertising focus of mesh being lighter weight. In this case it is not. My experience with Rawlings 303 pattern is the handstall is on their large side. I wear a large batting glove and it is a little loose on me. The 302 pattern (also a 12.75) fits my hand perfectly. It, along with the fastback PRO27HF, is a little harder to find in stock locations, but are my go to patterns especially if I was building a custom. I love talking gloves so let me know if you have anymore questions.
      "Whata crowd, whata crowd! I tell ya, I'm all right now but last week I was in rough shape..."

Comment

Hey Wally... Are these 303 patterns?

https://www.justballgloves.com/produ...39-6bgr/27684/

https://www.baseballexpress.com/cata...oductId=144847
        Last edited by Cooper21; 03-14-2019, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Here's an outstanding example from a great time in Rawlings recent leather history. The oxblood/sherry HOH leather from this era wears like iron.
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rawling...EAAOSwD-dbrSVc

Here's option 2 in Pro Preferred leather which is not my first choice, but this deal is incredible.
          https://www.baseballexpress.com/cata...oductId=123693
          Stack the code JWX5TXH9 on top for even more savings!
          "Whata crowd, whata crowd! I tell ya, I'm all right now but last week I was in rough shape..."

Comment

Correct on both, I had the 303 in black and grey and the leather felt great, again just a little large on my hand. Wish I kept it for the leather alone.

Comment

I need a lefty glove. My son 's hand is size small adult, so I don't want a hand stall that's way too big for him.

If the wrist is cinched in to the smaller holes, are they still large in the handstall?
              Last edited by Cooper21; 03-14-2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

my son got an A2000 infield glove around christmas time and it still is not broken in, despite my best efforts.

he needs an outfield glove for school and i went with this

https://www.justballgloves.com/produ...gcp82s3/30772/

remembering from another thread that mizunos are best for short break in needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper21 View Post
                  I need a lefty glove. My son 's hand is size small adult, so I don't want a hand stall that's way too big for him.

If the wrist is cinched in to the smaller holes, are they still large in the handstall?
                  I still think a 303 cinched would still lead to the hand-swim effect. Now onto the good news - your son is LHT! Go to ebay and search Rawlings 302. 3 different LHT models will be included from the same seller - a great guy near me! He accepts best offers so come in between 180 - 200 if you are interested in one and see how he reponds. I've been looking for a RHT 302-6C since he listed his LHT a long while ago.

Comment

Okay, thanks. I see the 3 -302's.

Will the handstall fit my son's small hand? His fingers are fairly long, but he's a thin kid so thinner hands.

Would you consider this a heavy or average weight glove?

And...do you know how old these are? Can the leather get dry or hard if they are older, unused gloves?
                    Last edited by Cooper21; 03-14-2019, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Here are some other snug LHT patterns. I've got the 442 in Sherry/black and if he digs the trap it's a great pattern.
                      https://www.baseballmonkey.com/equip...tock-1275.html
                      https://www.baseballmonkey.com/equip...tock-1275.html
                      https://www.baseballmonkey.com/equip...1275-2019.html

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper21 View Post
                        Okay. Will the handstall fit my son's small hand? His fingers are fairly long, but he's a thin kid so thinner hands.
                        I'd definitely recommend the 302 and others posted over the 303 based on your son's size. Then cinching the wrist becomes a viable option if needed. The HOH leather lasts so it could be his only HS glove needed.

Comment

The 302-6P will probably weigh the most, but the difference wouldn't stop me from recommending it. Dual Core will feel lighter because the leather is thinner, but now longevity comes into play - they go floppy faster. I wouldn't worry about dryness. Mid-winter I found a rare glove from 2005 NWOT from a west coast mom and pop shop. It was bone dry, but responded nicely to a light coating of Wilson Pro Stock.

Comment

Wally, Wally, Wally!! C'mon man, perfect time for one of your "glove inventory" pics. Puts a huge smile on my face every time I see it...just asking for a friend.

Folks, for those of you are who are new here or just learning who's who, or what's what....when it comes to baseball bats and gloves...Wally is my first go to guy. You have a true enthusiast and expert giving you advice and recommendations in this thread with him...I hope y'all are listening/reading closely.
                            In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

I've seen Wally's collection before and was hoping he'd chime in.

They only thing he asked for is that it will be a Pro-H web. I think he tried a friends at practice.

I've felt new HOH's in person and they seem like they would take a long time to break in. I'm also a little concerned that the 302 will be too much glove for my son. I will keep it as an option.

I'm still thinking this one might suit him well.... Does anyone have experience with this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WILSON-A200...5.c10#viTabs_0

When I compared a2000's and HOH's when I was looking at pitchers gloves, the Wilson handstalls felt somewhat tighter and narrower than the Rawlings. I don't know if this is the case with 12.75" gloves. When you have a smaller hand, isn't fit pretty important? He will be growing, but he is a small kid right now and I don't want to see him struggle with a glove that is too heavy and doesn't fit well. He's 107 lbs. to give you an idea. His new A2000 Kershaw has a tighter fitting handstall and seems to suit him well.
                              Last edited by Cooper21; 03-14-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X