The Swing once at launch position.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Swing once at launch position.

Assuming a Player Loads correctly and gets into a good launch position , whats should happen next?
    I am having trouble understanding it. I know the swing happens but what parts are voluntary moving to hit the ball.

should we think about just letting the bat head fly/whipping from here, are we rotating/Turning the body/Hips???

From launch, Do we rotate to swing or do we get rotated from swinging ?

Righty-Launch-Watermark.png
    Last edited by syidewayz; 04-08-2019, 01:01 PM.

Once leading foot is planted. My back leg or rear hip is turning and my rear elbow is flat and moving slightly up like Cabrera does in highlight videos from the side. The hands stay back and the elbow slots or slings down and the bat just zooms through and out from a down to up manner.

If anything, my rear half part of the body works as one.

Comment

"whats should happen next?" Great, great question.

I don't think you can 'swing' your way to success, unless you want to be a slap hitter only. All the arm action in the world won't help you if you're not rotating/coiling/uncoiling properly.

Most of the action is driven by what you do before toe touch.

If you coil inward significantly, then you automatically begin to uncoil just before toe touch. This uncoiling begins the swing - rear elbow drops, which brings down the bat head. (You can also see this when people do it incorrectly - when they open up early, they drop their back elbow and begin the swing before toe touch, while their front foot is in the air.)

Also notice in the graphic in post#1 their back heel is down (hello, I'm talking to all the bug squish advocates), so the back leg almost fully extends at toe touch, so the knee must rotate in a very small radius (it's faster if it's smaller), which sort of drives the rear hip around/down. (Note that Josh Donaldson and Barry Bonds sometimes lift the back heel early. But even they usually keep their back heel down.)

All of this gets you to the hip slot position, then the bent front leg forces the torso to continue rotating as the leg straightens. This same front leg action adds a few mph for a pitcher.

Let me just add, of course, there is some hand action in the swing, but I don't think I've ever had to teach anyone how to do this part. The part where you use your body is the hard part.
      Last edited by songtitle; 04-08-2019, 01:54 PM.
      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Look for the mlb channel on YouTube. They have some good break down videos

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post

I don't think you can 'swing' your way to success, unless you want to be a slap hitter only. All the arm action in the world won't help you if you're not rotating/coiling/uncoiling properly.

Most of the action is driven by what you do before toe touch.

If you coil inward significantly, then you automatically begin to uncoil just before toe touch. This uncoiling begins the swing - rear elbow drops, which brings down the bat head. (You can also see this when people do it incorrectly - when they open up early, they drop their back elbow and begin the swing before toe touch, while their front foot is in the air.)

Also notice in the graphic in post#1 their back heel is down (hello, I'm talking to all the bug squish advocates), so the back leg almost fully extends at toe touch, so the knee must rotate in a very small radius (it's faster if it's smaller), which sort of drives the rear hip around/down. (Note that Josh Donaldson and Barry Bonds sometimes lift the back heel early. But even they usually keep their back heel down.)

All of this gets you to the hip slot position, then the bent front leg forces the torso to continue rotating as the leg straightens. This same front leg action adds a few mph for a pitcher.

Let me just add, of course, there is some hand action in the swing, but I don't think I've ever had to teach anyone how to do this part. The part where you use your body is the hard part.
          Just wanted to get your feedback and that goes for anyone else reading. I am still working on coiling and making it natural but the issue I'm having is the arms. I feel they are trying to get at the ball and not staying back. I don't know if there's a cue or a specific feel or motion to keep it from attacking that ball out front, cause I think that's the last aha moment to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by Modal94 View Post
            Just wanted to get your feedback and that goes for anyone else reading. I am still working on coiling and making it natural but the issue I'm having is the arms. I feel they are trying to get at the ball and not staying back. I don't know if there's a cue or a specific feel or motion to keep it from attacking that ball out front, cause I think that's the last aha moment to achieve.
            Couple cues (that you can turn into "feels"):
            • "Stride with your rear leg, and not your front one"
            • "Hit the ball with your rear hip"
            • "Hips then hands"
            • "Get your barrel 'behind and through' the ball, not 'down and to' it".
            Hope one or more of those help.
            In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
              • "Hips then hands"
              I'm at work, but this along with this gif is something I'm going to work on the T when I am free. The T also is in the middle part of my front foot, so I'm not trying to reach far out.

http://i48.tinypic.com/15h1q9d.jpg

The only time my hands are staying back is if I'm being thrown 80mph and I can't think, just turn.

Comment

That's a good clip, and goes along with these two old ones also wrt barrel path...

Now look at these clips w/o the lines drawn, and see if you can "feel" the barrel being "turned" in from "behind and through" the ball....

Notice how none of them take their hands/bat/barrel straight "down and to" the ball. All have that little "running start", turn of the barrel ["rearward" to the ball] first.
                Last edited by mudvnine; 04-12-2019, 08:48 AM.
                In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                  • "Hips then hands"
                  I recall seeing similar advice when my son was really young, age 5. I wanted to keep it simple, so I just used "hips then hands" which he did well, however, he did it by stepping with an open stride foot. He achieved hips then hands but failed at "stride with your rear leg and not your front one." He hit this way for awhile, and still struggles to some degree. I just wanted to point this out, don't let your young one get hips then hands artificially by stepping open and turning on the front hip vs rear hip. It's a lot of work to reverse the issue.
                  Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by syidewayz View Post
                    Assuming a Player Loads correctly and gets into a good launch position , whats should happen next?
                    I am having trouble understanding it. I know the swing happens but what parts are voluntary moving to hit the ball.

should we think about just letting the bat head fly/whipping from here, are we rotating/Turning the body/Hips???

From launch, Do we rotate to swing or do we get rotated from swinging ?

Righty-Launch-Watermark.png
                    What is "loaded" in arriving "into a good launch position"?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post

What is "loaded" in arriving "into a good launch position"?
                      "loaded" To me means rearing back and getting ready to deliver a blow as I step. Same as If Im throwing a ball, a Punch or a back hand pimp slap.

Load Back/Coil in as I go/Stride/Step Forward - What automatically happens when I go to throw.

Comment

I don't think you can 'swing' your way to success.
                        Can you "Throw" your way to success?? This is where I get confused. I have come across many kids that can throw gas, As Mentioned here , most athletic kids "Load" properly when they throw
                        You don't have to tell these Kids use your hips, rotate,etc,etc Just a simple throw hard will work.

From this point If Pedroia thinks "Rotation" or "Turn" at least as a whole unit won't he lose all that tension?
                        If he just "Swings" from this point the hips wont come along?

I guess Im trying to understand why the Pros only talk about hands.

static1.squarespace.com.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by syidewayz View Post

Can you "Throw" your way to success?? This is where I get confused. I have come across many kids that can throw gas, As Mentioned here , most athletic kids "Load" properly when they throw
                          You don't have to tell these Kids use your hips, rotate,etc,etc
                          From the videos I see and from watching games over the years, I'm not seeing 'most' kids loading properly. Most before HS, either 1) don't coil at all, or 2) they coil in over their back foot.

efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

From the videos I see and from watching games over the years, I'm not seeing 'most' kids loading properly. Most before HS, either 1) don't coil at all, or 2) they coil in over their back foot.
                            I don't know if you recall Dustin Pedroia, but it seems he was pre coiled as he strided and then he just snapped/fired the hips when it came time to swing. Could it be possible to have a high level swing while hips are already coiled inward, or is that just not the way to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Modal94 View Post

I don't know if you recall Dustin Pedroia, but it seems he was pre coiled as he strided and then he just snapped/fired the hips when it came time to swing. Could it be possible to have a high level swing while hips are already coiled inward, or is that just not the way to go?
                              Looks like hes coiling as he goes.

chas_13.gif

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X