Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Season over

    Team did great, 1st place at end of season, 1st seed in the play-offs, lost to the 2nd seed in the finals. To be honest, I felt like the top 5 teams were all fairly equal and they had split games against the 2 seed during the season. Son had created goals that I posted in another thread, I just wanted to follow-up on those. Did not meet FPS goal of 70% (57%), did not meet ERA under of 2 (3.05), did not meet BAA of under 0.2 (.256), did not meet under 2 errors (5), met BA .400 (.460). A lot of great moments during the season, back to the grind, hopefully gain some size this off season.
    Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

  • #2
    1. who was the 2 seed? I haven't been following the ilh jv much this year.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pthawaii View Post
      Team did great, 1st place at end of season, 1st seed in the play-offs, lost to the 2nd seed in the finals. To be honest, I felt like the top 5 teams were all fairly equal and they had split games against the 2 seed during the season. Son had created goals that I posted in another thread, I just wanted to follow-up on those. Did not meet FPS goal of 70% (57%), did not meet ERA under of 2 (3.05), did not meet BAA of under 0.2 (.256), did not meet under 2 errors (5), met BA .400 (.460). A lot of great moments during the season, back to the grind, hopefully gain some size this off season.
      As one of the resident stats geeks . . . I think some of these stats are too much out of an individual's control. Specifically:

      FPS goal is a great goal (best of the goals you listed) as it is usually completely under the control of the pitcher. I say usually instead of always because if the coach calls pitches and does not allow pitches to be shaken off, it can be more challenging to the pitcher if the first pitch is consistently called low and outside, for example (actually happening to my son this year, though he's still managing to do pretty well with FPS anyway)

      Much of ERA is out of a pitcher's control, unless the pitcher is throwing so hard that most people in the age group can't even see the ball and strike out. For the 99% of player for whom this is not the case, fielding has a huge impact on ERA in several ways. If there are many errors per inning, then the number of batters a pitcher faces will go up, and therefore both WHIP and ERA will necessarily go up. With great fielding, sometimes a ball in play will be an out even though with an average fielder it would have been a hit. Lastly, where the ball is hit into play has a random element that can result in hits and outs. The season is so short that this randomness does not have enough time to smooth out.

      BAA has similar issues to ERA, though not quite as bad because at least it does not suffer from extra errors, since it's per at bat as opposed to per inning.

      Error rates will have a lot to do with position. If he played a lot more SS and 3rd base than you expected, for example, that could drive up the error rate because there are more errors in those positions.
      Last edited by JoeG; 04-15-2019, 07:50 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mys View Post
        1. who was the 2 seed? I haven't been following the ilh jv much this year.
        Buff n blue
        Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JoeG View Post

          As one of the resident stats geeks . . . I think some of these stats are too much out of an individual's control. Specifically:

          FPS goal is a great goal (best of the goals you listed) as it is usually completely under the control of the pitcher. I say usually instead of always because if the coach calls pitches and does not allow pitches to be shaken off, it can be more challenging to the pitcher if the first pitch is consistently called low and outside, for example (actually happening to my son this year, though he's still managing to do pretty well with FPS anyway)

          Much of ERA is out of a pitcher's control, unless the pitcher is throwing so hard that most people in the age group can't even see the ball and strike out. For the 99% of player for whom this is not the case, fielding has a huge impact on ERA in several ways. If there are many errors per inning, then the number of batters a pitcher faces will go up, and therefore both WHIP and ERA will necessarily go up. With great fielding, sometimes a ball in play will be an out even though with an average fielder it would have been a hit. Lastly, where the ball is hit into play has a random element that can result in hits and outs. The season is so short that this randomness does not have enough time to smooth out.

          BAA has similar issues to ERA, though not quite as bad because at least it does not suffer from extra errors, since it's per at bat as opposed to per inning.

          Error rates will have a lot to do with position. If he played a lot more SS and 3rd base than you expected, for example, that could drive up the error rate because there are more errors in those positions.
          Very true Joe. Even though he didnt meet a lot of his goals, I was fairly surprised and happy that he made them. Hes got a few goals set for next year, making varsity being one of them, and started work 7am day after the finals loss. This summer he has some travel plans to play some baseball outside of the state, so that will be interesting to see how he holds up as well.
          Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pthawaii View Post

            Buff n blue
            honestly, I didn't know this but..."Woohoo!!" (sorry, my alma mater)

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the update...Nice work!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mys View Post

                honestly, I didn't know this but..."Woohoo!!" (sorry, my alma mater)
                Haha, my daughter graduates from there this year. She was kind to little bro though. They deserved it, they outplayed us.
                Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X