Leg Kick - Staying back on off speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg Kick - Staying back on off speed

Anyone have video on players that use a high Leg kick adjusting to off speed pitches.

Turner, Donaldson , Pederson , Etc

Do you keep "separating" or use weight shift and ride it out? if that makes sense lol

An offspeed pitch that's 10mph slower than the fastball takes less than a tenth of a second longer to reach the plate.

So, use same leg-kick, delay the swing by < .1 second.
    Last edited by skipper5; 04-19-2019, 09:34 AM.
    Skip

Comment

Not sure if this is the correct analogy but I recall that Jettsixty's son, when he was playing hoops, would jump up to shoot and the guy covering him would jump at the same time but Jettsixty's son would hang in the air and wait for the guarder to come down. Swish.

So maybe hang that leg in the air a little.
      Major Figure

Comment

We live in the Braves media market .. Ozzie Albies has a leg kick -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arVJusPIpzE

Comment

There are different stages of adjustment. Ideally I think is keeping the foot in the air for a split second longer (like hovering the foot in the air) while keeping the head over the inside of the back hip so you don't fall forward.

But if that fails you can also absorb some energy with the front knee to buy some time. Biomechanically that is not ideal but with 2 strikes it is better than striking out...
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
            There are different stages of adjustment. Ideally I think is keeping the foot in the air for a split second longer (like hovering the foot in the air) while keeping the head over the inside of the back hip so you don't fall forward.

But if that fails you can also absorb some energy with the front knee to buy some time. Biomechanically that is not ideal but with 2 strikes it is better than striking out...
            Is In not ideal to "Fall" forward? I was playing around with it and found that once at the Top/highest point of my leg kick.
            I can Turn my hips in (back gets exposed to the pitcher) I a feel Like i can "Ride/Fall" forward and use that to get a swing off.

Comment

The swing doesn't change... just the timing/delay or sink as it's also called. Batter kicks and lands on time and when the pitch is recognized as an off speed pitch, you sink into your front leg to created the delay
              Sent from my mobile device... probably while driving...

Comment

Argh, I have seen the Barry Bonds clip of him holding his load a split second later for a curveball side by side with a fastball swing. Somebody here has it, but heck if I can find it... Mud maybe?

Comment

The front leg action is totally irrelevant. Yes, you read that right.

Reveal: Staying back = staying coiled inward. (well, that's most of it). You can stay coiled in with/without a leg kick.
                  efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X