Nutrition for the picky eater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrition for the picky eater

Do any of you have a son who is a picky eater? My son is a super picky eater. He started going to a trainer over the summer and saw some really nice gains in speed and strength. We were talking last night that he could realize even more gains if he started to eat better, especially eating protein. He is a super picky eater. He does not like a lot of foods that would be a good source of protein. Throw a carb in front of him and he is all over it. We are trying to steer him into drinking protein shakes during the day. Also, trying to get him to drink smoothies with protein added to them.

Anyone else run into something like this with your player and what did you guys do?

There's so many good protein alternatives nowadays (some you've already identified), that there should be plenty of things you should be able to throw in front of him that he'll enjoy, and get the nutritional proportions you're looking for him to receive.

Also, the good thing at his age, is that with the metabolism he has, and that he's working out with a trainer...he/you shouldn't have to worry as much about the fat to protein levels, and things like a big ol' juicy hamburger, or crispy fried chicken, or a fatty monster steak shouldn't be of as much of a concern as it might be to us older guys who ain't gonna burn off that fat for fuel the same as he will.

Unless he don't like any of that, and then it's time to get his head checked!! Hahahaha....just teasing you know, to each his own when it comes to food likes and dislikes.
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

I had a picky eater.

Peanut butter sandwiches before bed time

Cut out carbs at breakfast - waffles, poptarts, cereal - and eat eggs and bacon. Dad may have to cook those - he can microwave a couple in 1:40. You can mix in onions peppers or whatever for flavor or to mix it up.

Buy bags of different nuts and see if he what he likes. Try plain, roasted, etc.

Swap fries for pinto beans.

Grill steaks, burgers, chops, etc. Teach him how to grill.

He still does the protein shakes. Can try many flavors and variations.
      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Mud is correct. If he's eating, even if it's the "not so good for him" food, he's working hard enough to burn it off.

I tried to cook (mostly grill) meats most nights for my son. His thing was vegetables, not many that he liked, so it was potatoes mostly. Protein shakes, he hated the taste but knew he had to drink them, so I had chocolate ice cream to mix with them. He was always working out, but maximizing it with what he put into his body had to come from him. He went from the protein shakes to Cell Tech. He also hated the taste of it, but he liked the results. He said "you just have to hold your nose and chug it".

It really was not until he got to college last year that he buckled down and started watching what he put in his body. Some of his veteran teammates hardly ever ate carbs, very high protein. He started doing it too. He still cheats from time to time, but he sticks with eating low carb high protein most of the time. But it was a decision that he made.

Let him make the nutrition change himself. If carbs are his thing, let him eat them. Find something to add to the protein shakes that he'll at least be able to get them down. He'll get to a point that he knows he has to drink it and will just chug it and get it over with, no big deal.
        Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
          I had a picky eater.

Peanut butter sandwiches before bed time

Cut out carbs at breakfast - waffles, poptarts, cereal - and eat eggs and bacon. Dad may have to cook those - he can microwave a couple in 1:40. You can mix in onions peppers or whatever for flavor or to mix it up.

Buy bags of different nuts and see if he what he likes. Try plain, roasted, etc.

Swap fries for pinto beans.

Grill steaks, burgers, chops, etc. Teach him how to grill.

He still does the protein shakes. Can try many flavors and variations.
          I wish he would even eat any of that. When I mean picky, I mean picky. He does not like eggs at all. No onions, no peppers. Doesn't like any kind of beans. If he could eat cereal all day, he would. When get burgers or grill out, burgers are plain and dry with only cheese. If it's not american cheese, he won't eat it. Heck, I have even tried bribing him to get him to eat eggs.

Comment

How about oatmeal? Maybe he likes soy products? Bacon is always a good source. My son is on the picky side and finally had a quality 4K calorie day spread out over 4 meals and 3 snacks in a 14 hour period. I think what helped was peer pressure (friends are gaining mass/strength and he does not want to miss out), he recently started his new lifting plan since his baseball and injury period is over and he is creatine loading. He finally realizes his gains are highly dependent on his fuel intake in additon to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkny2 View Post
              How about oatmeal? Maybe he likes soy products? Bacon is always a good source. My son is on the picky side and finally had a quality 4K calorie day spread out over 4 meals and 3 snacks in a 14 hour period. I think what helped was peer pressure (friends are gaining mass/strength and he does not want to miss out), he recently started his new lifting plan since his baseball and injury period is over and he is creatine loading. He finally realizes his gains are highly dependent on his fuel intake in additon to rest.
              Nope, no oatmeal. Bacon he does like. Some sausage he likes. Chicken he will sometimes eat. Just depends on how it is made. Steak he does like.

I didn't even think about creatine. Maybe I can start getting him some smoothies on the way home and sneak some extra protein powder and some creatine powder into it.

Comment

nutella If you are desperate

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel21 View Post

Nope, no oatmeal. Bacon he does like. Some sausage he likes. Chicken he will sometimes eat. Just depends on how it is made. Steak he does like.

I didn't even think about creatine. Maybe I can start getting him some smoothies on the way home and sneak some extra protein powder and some creatine powder into it.
                  Yep no creatine until he can prove he can get the necessary calories from quality food sources first.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel21 View Post
                    Do any of you have a son who is a picky eater? My son is a super picky eater. He started going to a trainer over the summer and saw some really nice gains in speed and strength. We were talking last night that he could realize even more gains if he started to eat better, especially eating protein. He is a super picky eater. He does not like a lot of foods that would be a good source of protein. Throw a carb in front of him and he is all over it. We are trying to steer him into drinking protein shakes during the day. Also, trying to get him to drink smoothies with protein added to them.

Anyone else run into something like this with your player and what did you guys do?
                    While my son isn't as picky as yours, he tends to eat light meals than want to pig out on desserts and then snack on candy and other junk. All at the same time he has been working out since age 12. I have relentlessly reminded him how nutrition is just as important as working out - and in fact the intense workouts he does are actually detrimental if he doesn't follow up with protein. Gradually this is sinking in and he is becoming more careful to have protein in enough quantity after heavy workouts. Took about 2 years for my messaging to start translating into action on his part.

It's funny - I have not given him hardly any advice about anything on the baseball field in years. All of it these days are directed at injury prevention, workout program design, and nutrition. He has really appreciated the injury prevention and workout program design advice. Nutrition - not so much (LOL!).

Comment

If he likes Carbs ok then try the Complete Cookies. Had a College coach (ACC head coach) tell me 2 1/2 years ago that he makes his players eat 5 meals a day and that the players can substitute a "complete cookie" in between classes to count as one of those meals. At first they were really hard to find, but now I see them everywhere. My son is also picky, but he will eat those (he eats the chocolate chip though they have a ton of different flavors. I mix and match, he sticks with C Chip. They are also great for tournament days to eat in between games when they don't have that much time. https://www.lennylarry.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bman52 View Post
                        If he likes Carbs ok then try the Complete Cookies. Had a College coach (ACC head coach) tell me 2 1/2 years ago that he makes his players eat 5 meals a day and that the players can substitute a "complete cookie" in between classes to count as one of those meals. At first they were really hard to find, but now I see them everywhere. My son is also picky, but he will eat those (he eats the chocolate chip though they have a ton of different flavors. I mix and match, he sticks with C Chip. They are also great for tournament days to eat in between games when they don't have that much time. https://www.lennylarry.com/
                        Great idea there! didn't even think about that. My wife eats those for after long runs. So we have some sitting around the house. May have to start stocking up for him.

Comment

One thing I'd say is, if your son is a hard gainer, don't care so much about the "cleanness" of his diet until he puts on the weight. Much easier to get trim once the weight is on. Staring in sophomore year my son put on about 40-50 lbs in less than a year (forget exact number I've posted before). He hates fast food, so he wasn't eating garbage, but certainly wasn't watching protein/macros/etc. Just was doing compound lifts and stuffing his face. Lots of carbs and steak. He got up to about 200lbs and got a little *fluffy*. Over the last year he has changed his diet, and workouts and is now 190-195 with a different body composition.

Anyway point is get the weight on anyway you can, then hammer the nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamInNY View Post
                            One thing I'd say is, if your son is a hard gainer, don't care so much about the "cleanness" of his diet until he puts on the weight. Much easier to get trim once the weight is on. Staring in sophomore year my son put on about 40-50 lbs in less than a year (forget exact number I've posted before). He hates fast food, so he wasn't eating garbage, but certainly wasn't watching protein/macros/etc. Just was doing compound lifts and stuffing his face. Lots of carbs and steak. He got up to about 200lbs and got a little *fluffy*. Over the last year he has changed his diet, and workouts and is now 190-195 with a different body composition.

Anyway point is get the weight on anyway you can, then hammer the nutrition.
                            I wish my son didn't like fast food. He would eat Chick Fil A and Whataburger all day, every day if he could.

At the same time we are trying to get him to bulk up, I also don't want him to lose his speed. That has really helped him catch some people's attention. So trying to find that balance for him.
                            Last edited by Colonel21; 08-23-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

How old is he? At some point he will realize that every meal doesn't need to perfectly satisfy his taste buds and is a means to an end. I lift weights fairly seriously and I would say less than 10% of the meals I eat a week (typically at least 6 a day) actually satisfy my taste buds...lol.

That said, somebody mentioned nuts which is a good idea. Nut butters are probably even better since you can shove away a bunch of calories with a decent amount of protein with 4 or 5 TBSP. I would see if you can find a good chocolate protein powder (you will have to do trial and error to find one he likes probably..) and make a smoothie with 4 scoops of protein in it, 4 or 5 tbsp of nut butter, a banana and a 2 or 3 cups of whole milk blend it up and have him split it up into two drinks.

If you are into supplements, the new thing nowadays is intraworkout drinks. Basically they consist of a carb source (branched cyclic dextrin is the best) and essential amino acids. Building muscle is a fine balance between breaking the muscle down and then building it back up and these help with this (basically they help with recovery). They are not cheap so if you are interested in it I would buy a small amount first and see if he can take the taste. I wouldn't go this route until he has his regular nutrition fixed.
                              Last edited by pattar; 08-23-2019, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X