playing up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing up question

My nine year-old was asked to play up with the 10/11s.
    What would you do in this situation? I could ask that he just not pitch.
    Last edited by Joecancer; 09-04-2019, 06:59 PM.

I think it’s dangerous, I wouldn’t do it. 9 year olds pitching to 12 year olds just sounds crazy. 12 is the puberty year, he will face 6 foot 160+ pound hitters, while your son is throwing essentially soft toss from 50 feet away with no screen.

Comment

It's possible, but I would only really consider it if your son is either real big for his age or is advanced compared to other 9Us.

My son played LL majors (which is basically 12U) when he was 10, but that was on a small field. He had a fine year, but there are some physical realities that come with playing against boys who are starting/have started puberty. He didn't hit the ball that hard relative to the older boys (this would go double on a bigger field) and he played the whole season at 2B because he didn't have enough arm to play the other side of the infield. He didn't pitch at all that year, because he would have been serving up BP (this would go double on a bigger field).

Comment

I recommend the following for playing up. If yes, proceed. If no, stay.

1. Is your son currently playing at the highest level for his age (Major?)
        2. Is he dominating the competition at his current level?
        3. Can he be in the top 50% of a team 1 year older and also at the top level (major)
        4. Is the coach at the older team extremely good and likely better than your current coach?
        5. If all of the above is yes, move up. Otherwise stay at your age (but maybe on a higher level)

Comment

My son plays in a division of 11-13 year olds. Last year he was 10. Just with little league, the cut off is September 1st, and his birthday is July. SImilar distances (50-70 field). He plays against kids who are full grown (over 6ft and probably about 200 lbs) He is 5-1 and 73 lbs soaking wet. He's not the smallest kid out there, but probably one of the lightest. I am nervous the whole time, especially every time he pitches. I carry ice packs with me. In the last game of spring season, I went through 3. Mostly do to base running - one kid who was stealing second was nailed by the catcher's throw. Hit him right on the nose as he was sliding into the bag.

Comment

Unless kids are so big and talented they are a danger to other players they should play in their age group with their friends until 13u.

Comment

sounds like the pitching part is what you're worried about. I'd talk to the coach (or have him do it) and see if he can not pitch. Would seem odd a smaller/younger player pitching if older/bigger kids are available unless coach is just giving everyone a shot. sounds like there's not much of an option to play down or age appropriate or your kid was deemed good enough to move up to fill a team. As long as he's playing and competing I wouldn't worry. It's funny that people are so against it. When I was kid playing neighborhood ball (baseball or football), we all played together irrespective of age. I realize times have changed, but folks sound like either lawyers, insurance agents or helicopter parents the way they carry on the about dangers in LL baseball.

Comment

No way he should be pitching against 12 yr old's with USSSA bats...that's crazy!!!

Comment

If the big boys are crushing the ball that hard against him, maybe he won't be seeing much mound time anyway...

Anyway, I agree with you that it seems like an unsafe situation, and it's worth talking to the coach about.

Comment

fall is loosey goosey around here and kids playing up 2 years because of circumstances and the overall lack of team options does happen. i would definitely not pitch, and you can put your mind to ease with a quick conversation with the coach (who honestly is probably not looking to pitch him a ton anyways). if he can get hits against good 12 year old pitching, and the team needs an extra kid, it sounds like a good match to me.

i will say that a bigger 12 year old on our team last year guest played on a 14u team, and ended up with a broken orbital on the hot corner. playing up that much i would stick to OF and 2B and be there just for the experience of trying to hit "big kids" and some experience playing open bases.

Comment

Originally posted by abc123 View Post
                      fall is loosey goosey around here and kids playing up 2 years because of circumstances and the overall lack of team options does happen. i would definitely not pitch, and you can put your mind to ease with a quick conversation with the coach (who honestly is probably not looking to pitch him a ton anyways). if he can get hits against good 12 year old pitching, and the team needs an extra kid, it sounds like a good match to me.

i will say that a bigger 12 year old on our team last year guest played on a 14u team, and ended up with a broken orbital on the hot corner. playing up that much i would stick to OF and 2B and be there just for the experience of trying to hit "big kids" and some experience playing open bases.
                      maybe it's just me but I would feel more comfortable with a 12u playing 14u than a 9u playing 12u. 12 to 14, you go from 70' to 90' and you go from 1.15 to bbcor. of course there's the puberty factor involved but those other two factors would probably mitigate it somewhat.

Comment

thanks for all the responses!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X