No announcement yet.

The Five Tools in Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is true too. Bad is relative. Even a 30 grade hitter in the minors probably hit well over .300 in high school. The pro scout will say the 30 grade hitter can't hit but that is compared to other pro players.

And likewislike even the worst fielders have a .900 fielding percentage, it is not like in little league when every other play is booted.

So even if we talk about a one tool player player there still is some kind of baseline skill. I mean billy Hamilton can't hit in the majors but it is not like he is swinging and missing 50% of the time and he even hits a homer or two in most years. That is terrible for mlb but you couldn't put a track athlete in there and expect him to hit 250/300/330.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
      That is true too. Bad is relative. Even a 30 grade hitter in the minors probably hit well over .300 in high school. The pro scout will say the 30 grade hitter can't hit but that is compared to other pro players.

And likewislike even the worst fielders have a .900 fielding percentage, it is not like in little league when every other play is booted.

So even if we talk about a one tool player player there still is some kind of baseline skill. I mean billy Hamilton can't hit in the majors but it is not like he is swinging and missing 50% of the time and he even hits a homer or two in most years. That is terrible for mlb but you couldn't put a track athlete in there and expect him to hit 250/300/330.
      Charlie Finley tried that with Herb Washington. However, we never got to see him hit (0 career ABs) to find out if your theory is correct that a track athlete wouldn't hit .250. ; )

Comment

You have to work on and hone ALL the baseball skills. You can't be an 80-10-10-10-10 player. You could be a 70-40-40-40-40 player. But what I'm saying is that an 80-55-55-55-55 is generally more desirable than a 60-60-60-60-60 player.

Comment

Originally posted by andre8 View Post
          You have to work on and hone ALL the baseball skills. You can't be an 80-10-10-10-10 player. You could be a 70-40-40-40-40 player. But what I'm saying is that an 80-55-55-55-55 is generally more desirable than a 60-60-60-60-60 player.
          The original post was about getting to college baseball. Most college baseball players don’t grade out at 60-60-60-60-60. You must not be familiar with the grading system. 60 across the board is a solid prospect. It’s a pitcher throwing 93. It’s a 6.7 60 with the projected potential to hit .280 with 25 homers.

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post

The original post was about getting to college baseball. Most college baseball players don’t grade out at 60-60-60-60-60. You must not be familiar with the grading system. 60 across the board is a solid prospect. It’s a pitcher throwing 93. It’s a 6.7 60 with the projected potential to hit .280 with 25 homers.
            I understand the grading system and I stand by my post.

Also grading can be relative. Some are graded on current skills against current level, some are graded on projection of skills at future levels. It all remains though. A college coach will choose the 80-55s kid over the 60s kid all day. or even a 80-45s.

Comment

Originally posted by bbrages View Post

Pitching is not a "tool" however...

Along with the five tools, good pitching is generally considered to consist of:

Velocity
              Deception

These four attributes are also not tools, but I think it's similar to the idea of five tools, in that you must develop your strengths and overcome your weaknesses to be effective, and that velocity opens a lot more doors than anything else on the list.
              I think the reason for this is *most* coaches think they can fix/develop control and command, but not velo, or at least fix control and command a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamInNY View Post

I think the reason for this is *most* coaches think they can fix/develop control and command, but not velo, or at least fix control and command a lot easier.
                Velocity can be developed too, though... can't it?

Comment

By college velocity is improved by mechanics or continued physical growth. Coaches believe if they recruit velocity mechanics will fix control. You can teach mechanics. You can’t teach velocity. At any given time a college roster will have sixteen to eighteen pitchers rotating through. Only eight to ten have to succeed to have a successful season.

Comment

Yes it can.

Comment

When discussing velocity development there needs to be some qualifiers. If you start with two young teens of equal potential, train one properly and not the other chances are one will throw recognizably harder than the other. But at some point how much harder a pitcher throws will be due to increased physical development and mechanics improvement. Given only half of college pitching recruits have to pan out to have a successful season coaches prefer velocity. While not always successful, it’s easier to change mechanics than increase velocity.

What can’t be taught is how college players mentally adapt. One day I was watching BC play Harvard with the BC pitcher’s father. The kid was smoking Harvard. It was the third straight year he smoked them. The father lamented when his son pitched ACC games he seized up. It wasn’t just the hitters were better than Harvard’s. The kid lost velocity and his pitches flattened out. This is nothing but his mind playing tricks on his body.

Comment

Of course it's easier to change mechanics, but not always for the better. I think coaches drool over the 6"3" 165lb 15yo throwing 82mph because they know if he adds muscle he'll likely add velo. Lots of people like to talk about better mechanics will help with velo/command/injury prevention, but people can't agree on what those mechanics are.

Comment

Originally posted by pthawaii View Post
                          The Five Tools in Baseball Are:​
                          1. Speed
                          2. Arm Strength
                          3. Fielding Ability
                          4. Hitting for Average
                          5. Hitting for Power
                          My son attended a showcase and one of the college coaches said something I had never heard before. He said that if you are strong in one tool, develop that tool, it will help you stand out. I just wanted to share that, since prior to hearing this, I was always under the impression that you need to work on your weak tools (and of course you have to do this as well, but make sure you can really show off your strength, don't focus on your weaknesses at the cost of letting your strength become only above average).

Okay, here is the challenge. For college recruiters, order the 5 tools above in order of importance. I realize it differs for each position so you'll need to take an average of all positions minus P and C. If you must, you can categorize by corners, middles and OF's.

One reason I ask is because even though speed is listed first above, I've heard that college recruiters don't really worry about speed as long as you are average or better. Looking to cut through the rumors and hear from those that have experience through the process.
                          I know I am not directly answering the question, but imo if one works efficiently there is plenty of time to develop everything so the question is sort of irrelevant. In an 1.5 hours of work you can get in 150 to 200 swings and 100 to 150 ground balls. You can get track and lifting work done in probably 1.5 hours. Do each of those 3 or 4 times a week and that still is only 9 to 12 hours of work...If you can get a kid to put down the cellphone/playstation remote (is that what they use now??) it shouldn't be an issue. Related to that every kid (9-11 YO) on my daughter's 12U softball team has a cellphone with the exception of my daughter..smh.
                          Last edited by pattar; 08-30-2019, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X