Fielding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fielding question

While watching the Cardinals the other night, Scott Rolen was talking about fielding. He said that he was not a fan of the "landing the airplane" approach and he mentioned that to Tommy Edman who was working at 3rd. Edman is a 2nd baseman by trade but is playing everywhere for the Cardinals and has used the "land the airplane" approach to fielding since a young age. Rolen's perspective, if I caught his point, was that at 3B, you have to react. There aren't many opportunities to land that plane. Instead, work on left, right and angles. Thoughts on what both do fielding?
    Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Totally agree. For third base, instead of landing an airplane, you're just trying like heck to field everything you can from the ground up and not get beat under the glove.
    Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
      Totally agree. For third base, instead of landing an airplane, you're just trying like heck to field everything you can from the ground up and not get beat under the glove.
      I agree and I think the discussion was really definitive about the differences in positions. One size fielding work does not fit all. I loved hearing Rolen talk about this stuff and I hope he can see fit at some point to work in the Cardinal's organization.
      Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

I've never heard the expression 'landing an airplane' in regards to fielding posture/mechanics, what are they trying to teach? Might be a Hawaii thing that the phrase is uncommon here.

Comment

Originally posted by WailukuHeights View Post
          I've never heard the expression 'landing an airplane' in regards to fielding posture/mechanics, what are they trying to teach? Might be a Hawaii thing that the phrase is uncommon here.
          I think it means that a fielder gradually and smoothly lowers the body as opposed to flopping down all at once - like a helicopter, often at the last second. Talking about a routine grounder.
          Major Figure

Comment

Originally posted by omg View Post

I think it means that a fielder gradually and smoothly lowers the body as opposed to flopping down all at once - like a helicopter, often at the last second. Talking about a routine grounder.
            Yup! We teach landing the plane and do use the helicopter as the example of what we don't want. We use all kinds of terms like being an alligator or crocodile. We talk about the glove like a bulldozer. I use a lot of these analogies in hope that they stick. With Rolen making those comments in a discussion with Edmond, it looks like others use the same terms.

Comment

we teach against 'flipping the glove'. Many kids start with their gloves facing up, and we want them to quickly get into a position where the glove is down. Again, on routine grounders.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X