Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For fielding, thoughts on selection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For fielding, thoughts on selection

    Would you let your best glove with average arm strength or your best arm with average glove play your ss?

  • #2
    Is the goal to develop the kids into good SS or to win more games?

    Comment


    • #3
      How average is the arm? I would probably put the better glove at short because you cant throw what you didn't field but if his arm is so weak that he bounces every other throw you need to put him on second. Doesn't need a cannon but needs to be able to throw the ball on a line to the chest of the first baseman consistently without a big arc (I.e high point of the throw arc can't be higher than 3-4 feet than the shoulders of the 1b man).
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

      Comment


      • #4
        Put the great arm at third...

        I agree with dominik, how average is "average"? Maybe he should play second or first!

        Hot take: at the youngest ages (8-9), shortstop is overrated... I just don't see a ton of balls hit to short.


        The most important question: which one is your son, and whose kid is keeping him out of shortstop?

        Comment


        • #5
          The better glove, assuming he's reasonable accurate with his throw.
          Skip

          Comment


          • #6
            agree with above -better arm is either 3b or CF

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dominik View Post
              How average is the arm? I would probably put the better glove at short because you cant throw what you didn't field but if his arm is so weak that he bounces every other throw you need to put him on second. Doesn't need a cannon but needs to be able to throw the ball on a line to the chest of the first baseman consistently without a big arc (I.e high point of the throw arc can't be higher than 3-4 feet than the shoulders of the 1b man).
              ^^^This^^^

              Also having a good/better/best glove at 1B makes the rest of your infield a whole lot better in one fell swoop...just sayin'.
              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

              Comment


              • #8
                I'd put the one with more baseball savvy at short: cutoffs, dp's, pickoffs, covering on steal, etc. More stuff to do at short.
                Major Figure

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's 12u. Both can throw with accuracy. Average is 53-55, best arm is 58-60. Best glove has more game knowledge, trained extensively for fielding, best arm is good pitcher and power hitter.
                  Last edited by switchhitter; 09-10-2019, 10:50 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'd be thinking put the "arm" at third base and the "glove" at SS, but they both sound pretty good to me. Your kid is the "glove" guy? You are making the "glove" comparison based on the eye test?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by switchhitter View Post
                      It's 12u. Both can throw with accuracy. Average is 53-55, best arm is 58-60. Best glove has more game knowledge, trained extensively for fielding, best arm is good pitcher and power hitter.
                      Secondary position (pitching) is a factor- better to have a ss who is out there all of the time.
                      Major Figure

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bbrages View Post
                        I'd be thinking put the "arm" at third base and the "glove" at SS, but they both sound pretty good to me. Your kid is the "glove" guy? You are making the "glove" comparison based on the eye test?
                        Yes my son is the glove guy. Eye test and game proven. I think keeping best pitcher/hitter happy may also play a factor which a lot of coaches do. It's all paid coaches so I just want to understand coach's thinking.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          IMO, there is no good way to quantify defense at the youth level anyway... I always felt like the coaches I watch don't use my kids' defensive skills in the optimum way, but a large part of that is dad glasses.

                          If the "arm guy" isn't horrendous with the glove, putting him at SS and "glove guy" at 2B sounds like a recipe for being solid up the middle, and that's hard to argue against.

                          If "arm guy" pitches a lot, then "glove guy" will get playing time at SS anyway.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bbrages View Post
                            IMO, there is no good way to quantify defense at the youth level anyway... I always felt like the coaches I watch don't use my kids' defensive skills in the optimum way, but a large part of that is dad glasses.

                            If the "arm guy" isn't horrendous with the glove, putting him at SS and "glove guy" at 2B sounds like a recipe for being solid up the middle, and that's hard to argue against.

                            If "arm guy" pitches a lot, then "glove guy" will get playing time at SS anyway.
                            That's true too. But in a game the ss let 4 -5 balls get by him in one inning, to me those are errors. But seems coach doesn't care or think nobody can do better.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by omg View Post

                              Secondary position (pitching) is a factor- better to have a ss who is out there all of the time.
                              This part really puzzles me, when best arm is pitching, another kid doesn't have the glove or arm who is just big is playing ss. Head coach around 30, played a few year minors.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X