Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For fielding, thoughts on selection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by switchhitter View Post

    This part really puzzles me, when best arm is pitching, another kid doesn't have the glove or arm who is just big is playing ss. Head coach around 30, played a few year minors.
    Be patient- performance wins out. If he's rotating the big guys at short then that would be a boon to your son getting all that time at 3rd. Right now, coach may see it as your son has tools (reactions) to play 3rd, maybe big guys don't. My best player plays third base- he's great, can react, and that's where his future is. Bit of a myth that 3bmen absolutely have to have a crazy strong arm.
    Major Figure

    Comment


    • #17
      So what position is your kid (glove guy) playing mostly?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by omg View Post

        Be patient- performance wins out. If he's rotating the big guys at short then that would be a boon to your son getting all that time at 3rd. Right now, coach may see it as your son has tools (reactions) to play 3rd, maybe big guys don't. My best player plays third base- he's great, can react, and that's where his future is. Bit of a myth that 3bmen absolutely have to have a crazy strong arm.
        My son most play 2b and OF. I understand they need to rotate both if and of. But last Saturday in our championship game he played whole game out field, the big kid I mentioned above played 2b, which adds to the puzzle, we lost that game in extra inning, 2b made at least 4 errors cost runners in one inning. We were 6 :0 after 5, 6th was tied due to the errors after errors, we lost in extra inning 6:7

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by bbrages View Post
          So what position is your kid (glove guy) playing mostly?
          Always 3base and pitch. He would be best ss if I put him there.
          Major Figure

          Comment


          • #20
            It's a new team, the assistant coach told me my son has best glove for this age, and it showed in the tryout. But in the 5-6 games we played so far, I don't understand head coach's logic. My son guest play two other teams this season, this is our main team, but if it keeps like this, I would change priorities when conflicts occur

            Comment


            • #21
              my point of view on this is that kids at 12u should get reps at the positions they *could* be playing in high school. so if a kid has a great glove, moves well, can make the throw but another kid has a better arm, he should get SS innings. if another kid has the better arm but not quite the range, he should as well. the question of the thread should only really apply to "big games", sundays, etc.

              for example, a small lefty should still see 1st base, because he could grown 6 inches in the next 2 years. your 3rd catcher should still catch, because he could be #1 in his grade.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by abc123 View Post
                my point of view on this is that kids at 12u should get reps at the positions they *could* be playing in high school. so if a kid has a great glove, moves well, can make the throw but another kid has a better arm, he should get SS innings. if another kid has the better arm but not quite the range, he should as well. the question of the thread should only really apply to "big games", sundays, etc.

                for example, a small lefty should still see 1st base, because he could grown 6 inches in the next 2 years. your 3rd catcher should still catch, because he could be #1 in his grade.
                Yes that make perfect sense. Maybe the coach's vision for my son is 2b. Maybe they think he is playing up, to me he is playing his grade level, only thing is his power is weak comparing to some of the older/bigger kids.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by abc123 View Post
                  my point of view on this is that kids at 12u should get reps at the positions they *could* be playing in high school. so if a kid has a great glove, moves well, can make the throw but another kid has a better arm, he should get SS innings. if another kid has the better arm but not quite the range, he should as well. the question of the thread should only really apply to "big games", sundays, etc.

                  for example, a small lefty should still see 1st base, because he could grown 6 inches in the next 2 years. your 3rd catcher should still catch, because he could be #1 in his grade.
                  I wouldn't worry too much about specific positions -my son played 3b and SS through 12u depending on the team and mostly SS 13/14u. In HS, he still plays 3b and SS and occasionally 2b, but mostly 3b. IMO he's better at 3b because he isn't the fastest, but reads the ball well enough to overcome it at SS. In terms of glove work, I think 3b is more difficult -SS relies more on quickness and foot speed.

                  Comment

                  Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X