Speed/Agility/Strength Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed/Agility/Strength Training

Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises/programs to increase speed/strength agility for a 12 year old? Ideally looking to increase speed and agility (he plays a lot of infield), bat speed, arm conditioning ( he pitches) and overall fitness. My son is in good shape and well built. Ideally I am looking for a 15-20 minute program he can do a couple times a week. He already plays basketball and soccer in the off-season. We have a ladder, k-bands, dumbbells, a barbell set with squat rack, can build a plyo box, etc. Thanks!

Weight lifting. Med balls. Plyo balls. Bands. wrist weights. Squats, lunges, push ups.

Also lots of sprinting and jumping (not long distance running)

Comment

15-20 minute program will most likely not get it done...it needs to be around 60-90 mins. I'd look for a local facility that has specific baseball speed/conditioning expertise and the necessary equipment.

Comment

Thanks! He is only 12 so I don't want to overwhelm him. He is currently playing soccer too.

Comment

Check out CSP (Cressey Sports Performance) that should put you on the right track.

Comment

JoeG wrote a blog post on pylo program for kids. On his filterjoe website.

Comment

Originally posted by baseballdad33 View Post
              Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises/programs to increase speed/strength agility for a 12 year old? Ideally looking to increase speed and agility (he plays a lot of infield), bat speed, arm conditioning ( he pitches) and overall fitness. My son is in good shape and well built. Ideally I am looking for a 15-20 minute program he can do a couple times a week. He already plays basketball and soccer in the off-season. We have a ladder, k-bands, dumbbells, a barbell set with squat rack, can build a plyo box, etc. Thanks!
              honestly, i wouldn't bother at his age for speed/agility. Sounds like he is plenty active. Puberty will take care of the rest. What is the goal? what does "increased speed" mean? How will you measure it and attain your/his goal? Strength training is ok, but again, hormones at his age will do more than weight lifting ever will.

Comment

My son is 11, he only plays baseball, so I take him to a speed training group class sometimes, work out with small a group of football players when we have time. His team does speed/agility once a week. For strength, he is just small, 4'10, 80lb, I am trying to get him eat more, grow more.

Comment

Soccer and basketball is best for agility and speed. For strength at that age I would do BWEs and some med balls, maybe some sprints depending whether he already does that in soccer practice.
                  I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

At twelve years old other sports all the off season training he needs given he’s fit. After he passes through puberty, gets closer to high school sports and figures out what he really wants to do reassess the situation.

Comment

If he's playing soccer then he is in a speed & agility training. As someone else stated puberty will take care of strength.

Comment

Something not often mentioned on this site is that your son is at a great age to have someone in the know teach him proper lifting technique. My daughter started at 10 or 11 with pvc pipe. Then she lifted pvc pipe filled with sand. Then she went to the small bar. By the time she made it to college, she was pretty adept at most of the lifts. Also, a great thing for young ones, or even older players is to jump weighted jump ropes. We have various weighted jump ropes hanging around in the garage. That would include what we called, "the big dog" big black heavy jump rope.
                        Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X