Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yelling at players when they make errors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omg View Post

What exactly were the circumstances?
    Is it ok sometimes? Semi Final Game on Sunday Ball goes thru kids legs, Kids Pulled. Sun gets in kids Eye Ball drops in front of him in the outfield ,Kids Pulled.
    Seen Stuff like this at 11u

Comment

Originally posted by syidewayz View Post

Is it ok sometimes? Semi Final Game on Sunday Ball goes thru kids legs, Kids Pulled. Sun gets in kids Eye Ball drops in front of him in the outfield ,Kids Pulled.
      Seen Stuff like this at 11u
      No it's never ok to pull a kid from the field immediately after the error. But sometimes people embellish and may say a kid was "pulled" when he was substituted for in the dugout for the next inning- either for an at bat or for defense. In that case, although I would generally refrain from doing it, it may be that the pinch hit or defensive change was appropriate.
      Major Figure

Comment

No it's never ok to pull a kid from the field immediately after the error. But sometimes people embellish and may say a kid was "pulled" when he was substituted for in the dugout for the next inning- either for an at bat or for defense. In that case, although I would generally refrain from doing it, it may be that the pinch hit or defensive change was appropriate.
        This happened last season a few times. Once he play 2b missed a tag, another time he missed a throw from catcher, was pulled immediately after the error. Once he was pulled right before he get to bat, since we were batting 9, so he didn't get to bat at all that night, it's a regular league game, not playoff or tournament. The earliest I can remember was when he was 7 play on a 8u team, he played 1 time CF, after he dropped a fly ball, he was immediately pulled off the field.

These are not substitutions, all from my own experience. I'd rather my son be yelled at than be pulled off field in the middle of an inning.
        Last edited by switchhitter; 10-09-2019, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by switchhitter View Post

. I'd rather my son be yelled at than be pulled off field in the middle of an inning.
          I agree.
          This isn't done in pro baseball. Or in college baseball. But apparently there's at least one coach in 11u baseball who thinks it's OK.

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post

I agree.
            This isn't done in pro baseball. Or in college baseball. But apparently there's at least one coach in 11u baseball who thinks it's OK.
            And another coach in 8u baseball

Comment

Originally posted by switchhitter View Post

And another coach in 8u baseball
              That's really extreme. From 9u to 12u I've seen this happen once and it was the opposing team and not our team that did it. Just no call for it, like shaming the kid will make them field better.

Comment

If our 8u team pulled a player for dropping a ball we would have no players left on the field after two innings.

Comment

On the OP, never ever. I had coaches like that, and all it does is get in players' heads, so they're more likely to screw up again.

Talk to players afterwards about mistakes and work on correcting them in practice. At 13, you should focus on developing the fundamentals that they'll need to play in HS.

Comment

Originally posted by stranded1 View Post

That's really extreme. From 9u to 12u I've seen this happen once and it was the opposing team and not our team that did it. Just no call for it, like shaming the kid will make them field better.
                    I would be ok if it's fair for everyone. But it's not, some players get away with everything, others get pulled/punished whenever there is an error, either physical or mental

Comment

I see a lot of coaches who don't understand they can't take at bats, field balls or pitch for any of their players.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                        I see a lot of coaches who don't understand they can't take at bats, field balls or pitch for any of their players.
                        Yeah, one thing is for sure: players are really trying their best to get a hit, they're trying their best to throw a strike, they're trying their best to make a play (one place they are often NOT trying their best is base running). So they ARE focusing. Yell at them and you're just distracting them. i wouldn't even yell to Johnny that it's ok, they'll get the next one. Let it go with the words and the body language.

I really need work on my body language. Sometimes a play is just so egregious, so outrageous, that I'm prone to stumble around with my hand on my heart doing my best Fred Sanford impersonation: "Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you Elizabeth."
                        Last edited by omg; 10-14-2019, 01:30 PM.
                        Major Figure

Comment

Yelling at a player for errors and/or strikeouts are both obnoxious and detrimental to the overall attitude in the dugout. This is a game built to create failures....all here know that. If something happens, it happened and you move on. If apathy is an issue then that's another topic.

"Never go against the family" has always been my attitude. You discuss it in the dugout w/ your whole team and manage the situation. Don't involve the crowd.

Comment

(one place they are often NOT trying their best is base running).
                            So true.
                            It's obvious that many HS players take short, no-risk primaries so they can relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of the game.
                            It's bad because it limits the length of their secondary.
                            And because it forfeits an opportunity to distract the pitcher.
                            HS pitchers are too dumb to distinguish between potential basestealers and non-basestealers.*
                            Therefore, when a non-basestealer takes a respectable primary, pitchers get distracted. Which is good for the O-ffense.
                            _______
                            *Sometimes, their guy will reach first base and I'm thinking, if he wore cordouroy pants his legs would catch fire from the friction. And then, what do you know, our pitcher throws over.
                            Last edited by skipper5; 10-14-2019, 07:06 PM.
                            Skip

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X