Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated with Pop-Ups

31F80775-BFF7-41E2-9B5D-6BC35A96321C.gif

Went from hitting line drives in the gaps to pop ups to 2B and short RF.
    3 last night and 2 Sunday.

What is common cause and/or fix to this?

Clip shows a BP pop.

Is the barrel not getting down and through enough causing a more downward path?

Is the front side opening too soon?

Is the stride forward too much moving his head/torso toward the pitcher? As opposed to staying back more?

Ive searched all over looking and every site has a different reason/cure. Smh.

Here is the link to the BP if interested in full speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk1Xoj62as4&t=90s

Comment

It appears he’s transferring his weight too early and leaning into pitches. He has to keep his weight back.

Comment

Originally posted by GOODALL View Post
        Here is the link to the BP if interested in full speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk1Xoj62as4&t=90s
        I recall you asking for advice and I hope I can get things back on track if this is my fault.

Take a note at how he shifts his weight forward which is what Jett is mentioning, it causes his body to come down into the ground in a slant instead of a clean forward move,, which makes the bat path more difficult to enter correctly because now not only is it lower than where it started but now has to correct itself mid flight. Not to mention the eyes have to work overtime to preparing for the perception of the pitched ball and where it THINKS the ball will be and the movement of the head can cause pop ups or grounders. The less his weight is coming down into the ground that also involves his head movement, the better his contact rate will be.

Really go back to the video you linked and see how his body/head prepared for the ball and then compare to the pop ups and how much movements he made. Take note where the pitch is located and how much movement his body does during stride then to contact in said location so he can adjust to all corners of the plate. See good to perfect swings from my opinion at time stamps.

1:54, 2:04, 2:17, 2:26, 2:50, 3:00 and 3:12

My favorite is 3:12, where he adjusted and flicked it over to the right side of the infield but kept his movement subtle and put the best contact he could on the ball with the location he was dealt with.

When everything is clean, moments like 4:10 will happen a lot more often than you think where even he has to admire the shot he did when things worked out perfectly.

Hope progress improves.

Comment

Part of the issue is he's not loading his scapular (right scap) much if at all. He's just back/forth. When you shift back then scap load-launch, the scap load adds the effect of helping to keep you back.

See this youtube for explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evrzSnVmx-E

Comment

Agree with all the great feedback. After foot plant you can see him drift forward and down. He's gotta stay back, or think keep the hips back, especially once foot strike occurs.
            Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

Seriously, I'd forget the baloney about scaps etc previously mentioned. Hard to tell but on that swing it looks like you got the ball a little towards the handle (not sweet spot) and a little too much on the bottom of the ball. The swing looks fine but inaccurate. Give the baseball and the sweet spot the justice they deserve. Sorry about that.
              Last edited by omg; 10-13-2019, 05:00 PM.
              Major Figure

Comment

he swings down on the ball -like he's trying to backspin it. Stay back, turn the barrel early and get it into the path of the ball . Focus on directing the barrel into the ball's path and mainlining it there for as long as possible.

Comment

The swing itself may not be perfect but it's good enough. So work on squaring up the ball and don't get sidetracked on distractions.
                  Major Figure

Comment

...Each of the hitters create hemispheric separation through the same mechanism.

​.

Harper generates torsion by the same mechanism

When the pelvis rotates towards the direction of the target, the torso immediately counter-rotates to toe touch. From above, separation is manifest by a divergence of 45 degrees in line between the shoulders and the line between right an left hip in Donaldson's swing below. The integration of opposing forces translates into torsional forces stored between the rear hip and rear scapula. The reference line between the two is sometimes call the SCIP axis (SCaputa-hIP); it is anatomical semi-rigid structure lending to the twist in Pujol's launch. The axis is rag-wrung and stored, for the de-torsion to follow in powering the swing.

Originally posted by omg View Post
                    .. forget the baloney about scaps etc previously mentioned.
                    On the contrary, the scapula plays a HUGE role in the counter-rotation...
                    image_154155.jpg
                    Last edited by Al_Oha; 10-14-2019, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Oha View Post
                      Harper generates torsion by the same mechanism
                      Yeah, he could definitely use my advice as well.
                      Major Figure

Comment

Originally posted by omg View Post
                        The swing itself may not be perfect but it's good enough. So work on squaring up the ball and don't get sidetracked on distractions.
                        I appreciate what you’re trying to say here as I appreciate all the feedback on the site.

“Good Enough” has never been his MO.
                        My son is dedicated and driven. Something he learned on his own... He has gone from 8/9 hole batting sub .200 to 3/5 hole .433 in just a few months playing on a competitive team against solid pitching. Oddly, he struggles more in summer HS ball more so facing subpar pitchers.

With that, I have 2 questions:

Is “good enough” okay if a young athlete has aspirations and goals to compete at a high level?

Which successful players can you point to that either are or simply settled for “good enough”?

This isn’t a combative ask because I do understand your point in not overthinking...

Comment

I appreciate what you’re trying to say here as I appreciate all the feedback on the site.

My son is dedicated and driven. Something he learned on his own... He has gone from 8/9 hole batting sub .200 to 3/5 hole .433 in just a few months playing on a competitive team against solid pitching. Oddly, he struggles more in summer HS ball more so facing subpar pitchers.

Is “good enough” okay if a young athlete has aspirations and goals to compete at a high level?

Which successful players can you point to that either are or simply settled for “good enough”?

This isn’t a combative ask because I do understand your point in not overthinking...
                          Great topic.
                          Unlike yourself, I don't automatically reject the concept of "good enough".
                          Arguably, for every player who advanced by pursuing the perfect swing, there's another one whose perfectionism severely impaired his performance at the plate.
                          I believe a "good enough" swing combined with a great mindset/approach at the plate will take you farther than a perfected swing combined with an average mindset/approach at the plate.
                          Perfectionism is a complex topic.
                          Some perfectionism is on the constructive end of the spectrum. Some is on the destructive end of the spectrum.

Your son went from consistently hitting gap linedrives to having a weekend where he hit five popups. You believe it justifies applying a microscope to his swing. I do not. IMO, your response implies the destructive type of perfectionism that can enable five lousy at-bats to get into a batter's head and cause a slump.

The productive parental response to a weekend of bad results is to whistle past the graveyard.
                          Don't give it a life.
                          Last edited by skipper5; 10-14-2019, 11:13 AM.
                          Skip

Comment

Yeah, what skip said. "Good enough" applies to the swing whereas the real meat and potatoes should apply to approach, training, vision and mental aspects.
                            Major Figure

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post

Great topic.
                              Unlike yourself, I don't automatically reject the concept of "good enough".
                              Arguably, for every player who advanced by pursuing the perfect swing, there's another one whose perfectionism severely impaired his performance at the plate.
                              I believe a "good enough" swing combined with a great mindset/approach at the plate will take you farther than a perfected swing combined with an average mindset/approach at the plate.
                              Perfectionism is a complex topic.
                              Some perfectionism is on the constructive end of the spectrum. Some is on the destructive end of the spectrum.

Your son went from consistently hitting gap linedrives to having a weekend where he hit five popups. You believe it justifies applying a microscope to his swing. I do not. IMO, your response implies the destructive type of perfectionism that can enable five lousy at-bats to get into a batter's head and cause a slump.

The productive parental response to a weekend of bad results is to whistle past the graveyard.
                              Don't give it a life.
                              Thanks Skip. I’ll pass on the good knowledge and perspective.

I do want to be clear on one thing though. I don’t put him under a microscope. I only bring his frustrations here for opinion. We both look this stuff over and discuss. He’s in search of the “perfect” swing which he believes will make him a better ball player. I’m only here to join him on the journey.

And I believe you are right about the “don’t give it life” comment. But....if there is an issue, which apparently there was, then it’s good to get things back on track, no?

I have told him on many occasions to stop “fixing” things and enjoy the ride.

He did much better Sunday with the mindset of hit it square and keep the weight back so thanks to all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X