Bobby Tewksbary: Hitting Guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Tewksbary: Hitting Guru

Talking about the hitting guy not the sports psychology guy. He posted a lot here a few years ago and was Josh Donaldson's hitting guy (around his great years) and also Colabello's guy (the guy that went from Indy to bigs). I listened to a podcast of his recently and he has a very good baseball mind. But now he is pretty much saying something along the lines that hitting can't be taught and that hitters are born not made.

Pretty interesting. Anybody keeping up with him?
    Major Figure

Where can I find the podcast?
    Do you have a title?

Comment

Originally posted by GOODALL View Post
      Where can I find the podcast?
      Do you have a title?
      It's by Eric Cressey, another very bright baseball guy, who also is a great interviewer. Maybe on itunes or Cressey's website.
      Major Figure

Comment

I'm torn.

It's hard to determine who can play and who can't until they pick up the baseball and bat and go from there.

Genetics play a part in how well one can work hand eye coordination, reflexes, speed, agility, alertness etc... but the mechanics of a hitter and pitcher can be taught.

The success of said hitter/pitcher is now on them and not the teachings.

You can say I'm 50/50. I think a College hitter/Pitcher can be made from the onset but anything more will require what some call God-give talent.

Example is a young kid who's 14 and is throwing 92 MPH in a validated source on a radar gun at Perfect game and topped out at 94 once. Sometimes, gotta tip your hat off to the powers that be.

Comment

Was this maybe out of context? Tewks is a great guy with tons of hitting knowledge but getting to the point quickly and concisely isn't really his thing.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
            Was this maybe out of context? Tewks is a great guy with tons of hitting knowledge but getting to the point quickly and concisely isn't really his thing.
            No, not out of context. He did say that all of the mlb guys who ("allegedly, allegedly"- my words and quotes) made swing changes were already and always had been good hitters to begin with, guys like Donaldson, Turner.... Really, I think his comments stem from from having to give a bunch of lessons to 8 yr olds at 8 o'clock on Sunday mornings. He's developed a healthy skepticism.

Cressey's podcasts are exceptional as he interviews a ton of big league guys asking questions you would want to ask.
            Major Figure

Comment

You can teach a kid good mechanics, but if they don't have an innate ability to put the barrel on the ball, they aren't going very far in the sport.

Comment

Like everything else involving nature or nurture, it's a combination of both.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                  You can teach a kid good mechanics, but if they don't have an innate ability to put the barrel on the ball, they aren't going very far in the sport.
                  You can end the thread on this answer alone.

Comment

Originally posted by stranded1 View Post
                    Like everything else involving nature or nurture, it's a combination of both.
                    Jose Canseco: 46.4 career WAR
                    Identical twin Ozzie Canseco: -0.6 career WAR

What does it mean - I don't know - did they not have the same nature and nurture?

Comment

Originally posted by bbrages View Post

Jose Canseco: 46.4 career WAR
                      Identical twin Ozzie Canseco: -0.6 career WAR

What does it mean - I don't know - did they not have the same nature and nurture?
                      Same Nature, definitely not Nurture, if PED's have anything to say about ti.

Comment

First, Bobby was a member here and other websites for time and, I think, built up the base for what he now believes and teaches. Good for him. He has put in the work and is due the success. As with all "gurus" I would suggest that he has both good stuff and some stuff that might not translate to all hitters. I do want to say that I am not a member of his base and have not subscribed to any of his stuff and can only comment on what I have seen posted online. Every person has a "level of competence" that they reach with regards to athletics. I was a very good hitter back in the day. I still swing it some despite a hip replacement. I was never "good enough" to be elite. For sure, the drive to excel was there. The work ethic was there. I did finally get to play a very high level of slow pitch softball for what that is worth. Ssarge, once commented here that he has seen/met some of the guys I played with/against and that they were giants. They were. I mentioned this a few weeks ago that Jim Edmonds commented that he thought the thing that made him better than others was his eyesight. He suggested that he knew several people who were taught the same mechanics and who had the passion but did not have the impact he did in MLB. Something to think about.
                        Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

For anyone searching his name, it is spelled "Tewksbary." I have edited the thread title.

Comment

I think what's missing in hitting instruction is that very few people intensely observe a thousand or more live (game) high school at-bats per year. Year after year. Whether it be as a spectator or as a coach.

This is a huge hole in their knowledge, which primarily consists of studying MLB swings.

They're like Cal Tech math professors who study the work of the world's math prodigies, but are woefully deficient in observing and studying how the minds of normal, smart people learn and use math.

Could you be an expert in bird behavior at the Smithsonian without massive and on-going hours of experience studying birds in the field?

More lame analogies are on the way.
                            Just kidding.
                            Last edited by skipper5; 10-18-2019, 09:47 AM.
                            Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
                              I think what's missing in hitting instruction is that very few people intensely observe a thousand or more live (game) high school at-bats per year. Year after year. Whether it be as a spectator or as a coach.

This is a huge hole in their knowledge, which primarily consists of studying MLB swings.

They're like Cal Tech math professors who study the work of the world's math prodigies, but are woefully deficient in observing and studying how the minds of normal, smart people learn and use math.

Could you be an expert in bird behavior at the Smithsonian without massive and on-going hours of experience studying birds in the field?
                              Some very good points here Skip. Because I sometimes get the feeling that a lot of the "online hitting instruction theory" is largely developed from behind a computer screen looking at ultra slo-mo video of the pros, that is never tested in the cages or on the fields with actually players before the "Post" button is pushed, and a new marketing guru is created.

Bobby however is NOT one of those types of instructors. What he posts wherever that might be, he's usually vetted in the cages of his facility with players of all levels from some well know pros down to the teens (and preteens still?) developing hitters he also works with on a daily basis.

If an "instructor" can't, or isn't willing to post before and after swings of his hitters...well then great caution and further research should be taken into whatever theory he's pushing...before ever trying or teaching it to one's own hitter(s). The last thing a parent should want is for their player to become the lab rat for some wannabe "keyboard instructor" who himself hasn't applied his theories, or shown that they've worked with his own hitters.

JMO...OMMV.
                              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X