Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BATTING: Proper leg kick, weight transfer and swing videos ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BATTING: Proper leg kick, weight transfer and swing videos ?

I am having trouble finding some good videos I can show my son (6 yrs old).

He is seeing some over exaggerated leg kicks from other players and sometimes gets into that same motion. He backs down after a couple of pitches though.

I would like to drastically slow him down over this winter period and strictly get him off that hit leg kick. His hands are ridiculously fast, so he is able to catch up when he kick throws off his timing.

He is becoming more of a visual learner and I can only explain so many different ways until I need assistance of a video aid.

Anyone recommend any YouTube videos for this? Thank you in advance.

Show him Shohei Ohtani.

Went from big leg kick to a subdued toe tap, little leg kick and will likely show him he still gets results and go boom.

Also, make sure the number one rule of baseball is followed. Having fun!
    Last edited by Modal94; 10-21-2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Comment

Facing fast pitching + off speed pitches are pretty good teacher in motivating removing the high leg kick. But, your son is 6 years old. He is learning to coordinate his body. I think if he is having fun making a big swing, let him make a big swing!

Comment

Originally posted by Modal94 View Post
          Show him Shohei Ohtani.

Went from big leg kick to a subdued toe tap, little leg kick and will likely show him he still gets results and go boom.

Also, make sure the number one rule of baseball is followed. Having fun!

Originally posted by rdbass View Post
          Thank you! I will show him tonight and we will see how well this goes.

Comment

Originally posted by T Dot View Post
            I am having trouble finding some good videos I can show my son (6 yrs old).

He is seeing some over exaggerated leg kicks from other players and sometimes gets into that same motion. He backs down after a couple of pitches though.

I would like to drastically slow him down over this winter period and strictly get him off that hit leg kick. His hands are ridiculously fast, so he is able to catch up when he kick throws off his timing.

He is becoming more of a visual learner and I can only explain so many different ways until I need assistance of a video aid.

Anyone recommend any YouTube videos for this? Thank you in advance.
            why? aggressive hitting is very tough to teach -some kids are so worried about missing the ball, they basically use a swinging bunt approach. I much prefer the kids who are trying to crush the ball every chance they get. At 6 yo, this is exactly the approach I would want. Ohtani's apprach for a 6 yo, will be top down and all arms -not good. The leg kick is great for learning rhythm, timing, and weight transfer. Agree that a leg kick to an extreme is hard to pull off, but he's not facing gas, he's 6. Keep it fun and let him own it. If he swings a misses a ton, then suggest toning it down a bit, but he'll probably figure that out on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by baseabllmom View Post
              Facing fast pitching + off speed pitches are pretty good teacher in motivating removing the high leg kick. But, your son is 6 years old. He is learning to coordinate his body. I think if he is having fun making a big swing, let him make a big swing!
              Speed variation gets him all the time, but he is able to adjust.

His kick is really high, to the point where sometimes on a slow pitch he holds it up in the air. I think I see him teeter back and forth slightly. You are right, he is still trying to learn and coordinate his body.

I always let him swing big, but I think his footing is now getting in the way. During his last game he told me: 'Daddy I tried to hit a home run'. I was behind the plate and did see him crush the ball. Too bad I wasn't able to get it on video. He is having a lot of fun though, and pretty much has zero coaching from me.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedawg View Post

why? aggressive hitting is very tough to teach -some kids are so worried about missing the ball, they basically use a swinging bunt approach. I much prefer the kids who are trying to crush the ball every chance they get. At 6 yo, this is exactly the approach I would want. Ohtani's apprach for a 6 yo, will be top down and all arms -not good. The leg kick is great for learning rhythm, timing, and weight transfer. Agree that a leg kick to an extreme is hard to pull off, but he's not facing gas, he's 6. Keep it fun and let him own it. If he swings a misses a ton, then suggest toning it down a bit, but he'll probably figure that out on his own.
                I have highlighted what I have taught him. He knows to aggressively swing at anything he can reach and he does.

What I am afraid of is that in the future this leg kick will work against him - and I retrospect I will put the onus on me. So now, I feel I should get ahead of the curve and tone down the leg kick. That is my thought process on this.

There are some games, where he goes through 1 AB and misses everything due to timing.

... for now I guess I will proceed with caution and let him decide. Which is what I do pretty often. I will shoe him the toe tap and possibly pitch to him with heat. We will see what he does, but I think the leg kick will still be there. LOL when he faces the cages (35-40mph) - the leg kick is there.

Comment

I appreciate where your coming from TDOT. It is so much of our instinct to worry about "getting ahead of the curve." I think at 6, it's helpful as a parent to practice just relaxing and not worrying about getting ahead or ranking skills of other kids. That way you will have a good baseline skill and muscle memory to do it years from now when it is even harder. You'll find, on this board, the most consistent advice is to the parent to provide lots of rep opportunities and positivity, and maybe to do less correction until the kids get older. Maybe that's really good advice, or maybe that is just easy advice to offer. I have found it useful to hear. It sounds like you already on the right track. Giving lots of reps and conscious of this as a fun activity.

At 6, we did lots of backyard games with the skinny bat and tiny wiffle balls. It's super fun to hit those and helps with squaring up the ball. You can make them challenging or right over the middle, adjusting to his level of frustration. That might be better than batting cages, because he can learn to time on your (the pitcher's) hand motion.

At 6 where I am, some kids are in t-ball and others are in coach pitch. So, the pitching should be the same speed, and indeed, the coach is more matching the batter's speed than the other way around.

Others on this board either went further in the games themselves and / or have kids that are going pretty far. I am sure they will offer you better advice.

Comment

I have highlighted what I have taught him. He knows to aggressively swing at anything he can reach and he does.

What I am afraid of is that in the future this leg kick will work against him - and I retrospect I will put the onus on me. So now, I feel I should get ahead of the curve and tone down the leg kick. That is my thought process on this.

There are some games, where he goes through 1 AB and misses everything due to timing.

... for now I guess I will proceed with caution and let him decide. Which is what I do pretty often. I will shoe him the toe tap and possibly pitch to him with heat. We will see what he does, but I think the leg kick will still be there. LOL when he faces the cages (35-40mph) - the leg kick is there.
                    My son started using a high leg kick when he was 6. He's now 9 (10U). He has had several veneration's of the leg kick over the years as he became stronger, could control his body better and finding what is right for him. At 9 he faces on avg 52-55, and has faced 58-61 in the bigger tournaments. He's hit with a Leg kick regardless of speed and had done agood job with it. At 10U you start seeing a lot of off speed mixed in. It doesn't matter if they have a leg kick or no stride they all struggle a little with that off speed at first. I wouldn't have your son stop it, he will learn how to properly use it and control it as he gets older.

Top (7U) Leg Kick: High leg kick, all back then forward and he just didn't have the body control to be perfect with it.
                    Bottom (10U): Smaller Leg Kick (more acuna like) where he has better control over his body.

Last edited by coachrjb; 10-21-2019, 11:34 AM.
                    Instagram: gavin_thereal34

Comment

He's 6. He won't be facing anyone throwing 40 MPH for a while, since he'll be hitting off a tee and then off coach pitch. If he's such a good natural hitter that he can hit 40-MPH pitches at 6, I don't think a leg kick will matter a heck of a lot. But again, he's 6. Let him have fun. He's going to change his stance about 20 times between now and high school.

Comment

Originally posted by coachrjb View Post

My son started using a high leg kick when he was 6. He's now 9 (10U). He has had several veneration's of the leg kick over the years as he became stronger, could control his body better and finding what is right for him. At 9 he faces on avg 52-55, and has faced 58-61 in the bigger tournaments. He's hit with a Leg kick regardless of speed and had done agood job with it. At 10U you start seeing a lot of off speed mixed in. It doesn't matter if they have a leg kick or no stride they all struggle a little with that off speed at first. I wouldn't have your son stop it, he will learn how to properly use it and control it as he gets older.

Top (7U) Leg Kick: High leg kick, all back then forward and he just didn't have the body control to be perfect with it.
                        Bottom (10U): Smaller Leg Kick (more acuna like) where he has better control over his body.

I really like the bottom picture of your son. I see a lot of good in that pic and with the perspective of the pitcher's position and know that you/he have worked hard to get to this point.
                        Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post

I really like the bottom picture of your son. I see a lot of good in that pic and with the perspective of the pitcher's position and know that you/he have worked hard to get to this point.
                          Thank You! Yes he has worked hard, but a lot of what you see would not be possible without this board.
                          Instagram: gavin_thereal34

Comment

In my region, at the HSV level, very few offspeed pitches get squared up.

So, where I live, it's irrelevant that leg-kickers have to make an adjustment to offspeed.

That being said, HSV legkickers are rare around here, and the small sample I've observed seem to struggle with maintaining reasonably consistent fastball timing.

But if I had a pre-teen son who leg-kicked, I would be fine with it because it seems to correlate with INTENT TO RIP and using the bottom half to help power the swing, and legkick can easily be reduced later on, if necessary.
                            Last edited by skipper5; 10-23-2019, 12:52 PM.
                            Skip

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X