Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Position Playing Question

No longer needed
    Last edited by Tchovanec; 10-21-2019, 10:40 AM.

All I have to say is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnAsE9AnCSY

Once kid pitch starts, this will be the case:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-nBGr6VrpE

Nothing you can do about it, but that is why travel baseball at 8U can be detrimental if it isn't based on development.

Comment

Yea, tough situation. At 8u, the kids should be rotating in and out of the infield and outfield and learning multiple positions. At 8u it's about development, but it sounds like the team you are on is more focused on winning and showcasing their kid at 8 years old, SMH. If you are not in a position to change teams now, pretty all you can do is grit your teeth and grind out the rest of the fall season. Start looking at other teams you play against or who are in your tournament and see what their playing time philosophy is. Then come Spring, look into trying out for those teams.

Comment

At eight years old kids should be rotating through all the positions. But you signed up for travel ball. If eight year olds have set positions the emphasis is on winning and not development. Actually, I’ll bet the focus is on developing the coaches kids and winning.

Before joining a travel team investigate how many coaches are involved and where their kids play. Sometimes they’re the best players and it’s warranted they play the more challenging positions. Other times it’s pure daddyball and gets frustrating. But at eight the process should be about development. The better coaches know if the focus is on development winning falls into place.

Comment

I sympathize and empathize with your son's frustration. I think your friends have given you sound advice. It is very tricky to bring up position / playing time with a coach. Some will provide a reasonable explanation, like, with his cannon, he can really get the ball back in quick and prevent runners advancing. Most, will not respond well to you bringing it up.

The best thing we did to improve my son's infield ability was to play lots of wall ball or pitch back together.

Comment

be careful of the parent goggles -sometimes our kids are not as good as we think they are. And as parents, make sure his frustrations are not really yours. There are 9 (or 10) positions on the field and each has an important role. Be supportive of where he plays rather than always bemoaning not playing SS. FWIW, you don't need a cannon to play SS -quickness and glove are much more important as is baseball IQ which is a pretty wide spectrum for a while. Has your son ever talked to the coach to let him know that he would really like to learn an infield position? If SS isn't available, what about 3b or 2b?

To add: my son always tried to throw kids out at 1b from the OF -never successful from LF, but did it a few times from CF and often was very close.

the beauty of 8u TB is that none of it matters -if you're unhappy, then take your checkbook somewhere else.
            Last edited by bluedawg; 10-21-2019, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedawg View Post
              be careful of the parent goggles -sometimes our kids are not as good as we think they are. And as parents, make sure his frustrations are not really yours. There are 9 (or 10) positions on the field and each has an important role. Be supportive of where he plays rather than always bemoaning not playing SS. FWIW, you don't need a cannon to play SS -quickness and glove are much more important as is baseball IQ which is a pretty wide spectrum for a while. Has your son ever talked to the coach to let him know that he would really like to learn an infield position? If SS isn't available, what about 3b or 2b?

To add: my son always tried to throw kids out at 1b from the OF -never successful from LF, but did it a few times from CF and often was very close.

the beauty of 8u TB is that none of it matters -if you're unhappy, then take your checkbook somewhere else.
              By no means am I saying he should play SS. He just wants the opportunity to play somewhere if that is 2B, 3B or SS. My son actually did talk to the coach and I had no idea he was going to. They just said keep practicing and working. He did not like that response too much because he practices a ton and puts in a ton of work. He is always asking me to go to the field and play or just play catch in the yard.

Comment

Im not trying to pick on the original poster. But he posted something that amuses me whenever I see it regarding seven and eight year olds. “Cannon for an arm” means reaches first base from short in the air. My son was the “it” kid in 7/8 ball. It never crossed my mind to use the term.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X