Overload / Underload Swing Training injury question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overload / Underload Swing Training injury question

I have gone through several cycles (more than several) of O/U training with a variety of methods. Mostly using the 20% over/under rule. Then of course using game bat swings.

I have the Swing Speed radar to gauge progress.

This is all using dry swings.

I found out through the years of O/U training that dry swings at full speed can cause more damage than it does good. I have found a few players injure shoulders and pull rib cage muscles going full force with no resistance. Myself included.

Personally I have always made sure I swung left handed also (I am a right handed batter) so not to become "lopsided".

Has anyone else heard of or personally had any injury issues using O/U training?

Every Max effort activity has an increased risk of pulling a muscle no matter if overload or not. Make sure you really warm up well before you swing and also do some strength and mobility training.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

My son does 20% O/U during the offseason. Rotating 5 swings over, 5 swings under then with his game bat which is weighted in the middle. No problems so far. I assume you're hitting a ball off a tee while doing this? Otherwise I could see where you could drift into bad form....

Comment

Originally posted by fly996 View Post
        My son does 20% O/U during the offseason. Rotating 5 swings over, 5 swings under then with his game bat which is weighted in the middle. No problems so far. I assume you're hitting a ball off a tee while doing this? Otherwise I could see where you could drift into bad form....
        No tee. Most "systems" say to use dry swings.

That was the basis of my question. Using dry swings at max effort with no offset in the force applied (hitting a ball) seems like it can be injury waiting to happen.

Comment

Paulypal, I have never done the dry swings at max with just the bat. I have used things like PVC pipe cut at approximately 5 feet long. For Overloading and under loading, I have used wooden bats of varying weights but have had my hitters hit front toss and, I had my child hit a lot off of a machine with the overloaded wooden bat. I'm not much help to you on your situation.
          Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

No tee. Most "systems" say to use dry swings.

That was the basis of my question. Using dry swings at max effort with no offset in the force applied (hitting a ball) seems like it can be injury waiting to happen.
            At driveline they so hit live balls with the overload underload bats so it can be done definitely.

that being said I don't think dry swings are riskier because the contact is so short that the ball doesn't have much of an effect. If dry swings were dangerous we would see more injuries in mlb on strikeouts.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post

At driveline they so hit live balls with the overload underload bats so it can be done definitely.

that being said I don't think dry swings are riskier because the contact is so short that the ball doesn't have much of an effect. If dry swings were dangerous we would see more injuries in mlb on strikeouts.
              I understand but on a strikeout - even if the batter does it 3 times it is not with the frequency of the OL/UL trading.

I think taking 100 swings in a session at max hitting nothing I just feel that it can do no good. I have never pulled anything while making contact.

I spoke to the folks at Driveline - they dont recommend dry swings at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
                Paulypal, I have never done the dry swings at max with just the bat. I have used things like PVC pipe cut at approximately 5 feet long. For Overloading and under loading, I have used wooden bats of varying weights but have had my hitters hit front toss and, I had my child hit a lot off of a machine with the overloaded wooden bat. I'm not much help to you on your situation.
                Thanks for the feedback. I think the days of dry swings are done in my case - either for myself or anyone I work with.

Comment

The OL UL weighted sticks that Justin Stone peddles are for dry swings only. The protocol is free. Some of the Driveline hitters uses them to warm up

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X