Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's awesome! Colonel

there will be many many more

Curios as to how they getting around the NCAA no contact till summer incoming Jr. year? Also what can they offer at this time? Is it just interest??? Like Jett said no binding documents until NLI.
    I am not poo pooing on his parade and please dont take it that way, I truly am happy for his success. I just trying to learn for myself. My son has had big Pac12 schools sniffing around last summer, and some engaged through his Club coach.

I just wanna make sure we not doing something wrong
    if you dont wanna answer here then DM me please. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Coach T13 View Post
      That's awesome! Colonel

there will be many many more

Curios as to how they getting around the NCAA no contact till summer incoming Jr. year? Also what can they offer at this time? Is it just interest??? Like Jett said no binding documents until NLI.
      I am not poo pooing on his parade and please dont take it that way, I truly am happy for his success. I just trying to learn for myself. My son has had big Pac12 schools sniffing around last summer, and some engaged through his Club coach.

I just wanna make sure we not doing something wrong
      if you dont wanna answer here then DM me please. Thx
      To get around the no contact until junior year, they do work through a third party. The schools he has talked to will reach out to his high school coach, showcase coach, or someone else that had a relationship with both sides and pretty much say "have him call us on this day at this time". Then usually they will say "check in with us every 2 weeks". So then my son knows to call and check in with them around that time. When the offers have come, it has been a call set up outside the normal follow up times. We will get a message from the third party saying to give the coach a call this evening.

There aren't any binding documents of course until senior year when the NLI is signed. But they are offers saying we would like to offer you X percentage or this is the complete financial package we have put together for you and break it down into further detail. It's all verbal, so nothing is set in stone. Either side can back out at anytime up to the signing of the NLI.

Comment

Congratulations to you and your son! Thanks for letting us share in your pride

Comment

Thats great info right there Colonel... Thanks for sharing it.
          Helps me in trying to guide my Son, and I am sure helps others as well.
          One more question... the 3rd party, is it a source your Family subscribes to? Like NCSA, Scouting Bureau, Captain U, Field Level, National College Scouting bureau?
          So Far... we have the freebie accounts on some of these 3rd party sites, however we doing the rest on our own

Just curious of your approach and if you care to share? It may help some of us others trying to navigate the recruiting waters

Comment

T ... The ideal scenario is to play for a travel team with credibility and college contacts. My son’s travel coach did the presell to my son’s “desired” list. He didn’t have any programs on his list that weren’t realistic. The travel coach contacts the college coach when the list is made and before any events the coach will be attending. This opens up the dialog. If the college coach is impressed he tells the travel coach to have the kid get in touch. Unless the rules have changed since 2010 the kid has to keep calling if he doesn’t get through live. The coach can’t make direct contact back.

Scouting bureaus typically don’t work in the players best interest, They tend to throw spaghetti off the wall to see what sticks. If your son is a potential PAC 12, Big West or Mountain West prospect he doesn’t need a scouting bureau sending random emails.
            Last edited by JettSixty; 01-24-2020, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Thats great info right there Colonel... Thanks for sharing it.
              Helps me in trying to guide my Son, and I am sure helps others as well.
              One more question... the 3rd party, is it a source your Family subscribes to? Like NCSA, Scouting Bureau, Captain U, Field Level, National College Scouting bureau?
              So Far... we have the freebie accounts on some of these 3rd party sites, however we doing the rest on our own

Just curious of your approach and if you care to share? It may help some of us others trying to navigate the recruiting waters
              Definitely don't mind sharing if it helps out others. My son has an NCSA account, but nothing has really come out of that. The third party for us in one of the cases is somebody that one of the coaches is friends with that we happened to also be friends with. We found this out after the school initially contacted my son's showcase team to get in touch with my son. So now I will sometimes get a text from my friend saying "hey, coach wants your son to give him a call".

One thing that definitely helped out to get him on radar's of schools where he wasn't originally on their radar was create a hand out/resume type document that you can send to the coaches. We included a picture of him, his height, weight, social media accounts, his most recent measurables, his high school coach info, his showcase coach info, provided links to his PG and PBR profiles, and then below highlighted some of his baseball accomplishments like his PG and PBR state and national rankings, his USA Baseball NTIS years, etc. We selected a handful of schools that he wasn't currently talking to and sent that hand out over to those recruiting coordinators. Right away our showcase coach got several phone calls asking about him and asking for our son to call them. I would say, don't sit around and wait for your coaches to promote your player, but pro-actively reach out to schools. The worst they can do is ignore you. LOL.

Also, if you do have social media accounts, take advantage of them. Ask your coach to promote your player on social media. Or reach out to accounts like FlatgroundApp or Flatgroundbats and send them your player's info and video so that they can send it out. I have been telling some of the parents of players that my son plays with that there is a whole other world of recruiting and showcasing on social media that most people don't realize.

Comment

Jett... Great advice, and I remember you telling that same thing to another parent a while back, so we did find a more competitive Travel team that seems to be in all the Big tourneys, and they promote well.That is what created a little buzz lately. Thx

Colonel... luv the idea of a resume document!! I will work on it with my son. So far we created a baseball only email acct, just his name and year grad ******[email protected] They say use a simple emails
                we did same with all social media, and have had some fum activity on those
                like your son, he has all Player profile pages on PG, PW, NB Program 15, PBR.

I think our approach next fall his Jr. year will be to attend showcases where his Target schools are for sure going to be, or attend that schools Prospect camp. Thoughts guys?? Just trying to map it all out and stay in front of it with a loose plan.

You guys doing it or have done it... all feedback is welcomed.

Comment

You need to do your research on anything called a prospect camp. Some are just a fancy name to attract players who think they’re prospects. It’s important to know which coaches attend and do they pay attention. Otherwise, the camp is helping to fund the program. The prospect camps you want to attend are the ones where there’s already a dialogue and the player is invited.

Comment

Jett... Great advice, and I remember you telling that same thing to another parent a while back, so we did find a more competitive Travel team that seems to be in all the Big tourneys, and they promote well.That is what created a little buzz lately. Thx

Colonel... luv the idea of a resume document!! I will work on it with my son. So far we created a baseball only email acct, just his name and year grad ******[email protected] They say use a simple emails
                    we did same with all social media, and have had some fum activity on those
                    like your son, he has all Player profile pages on PG, PW, NB Program 15, PBR.

I think our approach next fall his Jr. year will be to attend showcases where his Target schools are for sure going to be, or attend that schools Prospect camp. Thoughts guys?? Just trying to map it all out and stay in front of it with a loose plan.

You guys doing it or have done it... all feedback is welcomed.
                    Your boy should reach out to his target schools. Once contact is established provide dates of his showcases or tourneys he will be attending.

Comment

Great advice, Jett, Spark
                      I am gonna help my son work on a document like Colonel and his son did, send to target schools and see if it starts any dialogue. He is just a sophomore this year, so probably the perfect time.
                      luv this site... I learn, and hopefully others learn off of discussion. It is alot to navigate, and network

Comment

I thought the no contact period only applied to them reach out to you but if you went to one of their camps they can talk to you or you call them?
                        Instagram: gavin_thereal34

Comment

Originally posted by coachrjb View Post
                          I thought the no contact period only applied to them reach out to you but if you went to one of their camps they can talk to you or you call them?
                          That is correct. They can't contact you directly until junior year. But they can talk to you at a camp or you can call them.

Comment

My son did an interesting camp arranged by a local baseball academy. The camp was held at a minor league stadium in the area. The instructors were coaches from the CAA. This was post soph summer. My son attended as William & Mary was on his initial list. Because it was a camp the coaches could talk to the players. They couldn’t recruit them. But they could tip of interest. My son told me the W&M coach went as far as asking about his grades and had he taken the SAT yet. Before the camp his travel coach called the W&M coach to promote him.

Comment

My son last night decided that he had found his new home and didn't need to see or talk to anymore schools. I think I asked him about 100 times if he was sure this is what he wanted. I told him we could even go to his school he grew up wanting to go to all these years. Nope. He said he knew where he needed to be based on the relationship he had already built with the coaching staff, the program, and who they have coming in classes before him. So he called the other coaches he had offers from or have been actively recruiting him and thanked them all. Then called the head coach of where he decided on. He couldn't even get the sentence out of his mouth he was so excited. It was pretty funny. After he finally took a breath of air he was able to compose a sentence. So now the journey just got real.

Comment

Awesome Colonel!! Congratulations to him and your whole family!
                                Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X