14 YO with throwing issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 YO with throwing issues

Any suggestions? We’ve been working with a kid who for over a year continues to throw across his body and is all over the place. He came to us as a raw talent and we have tried to break the bad habits by having him release over the top and follow through with pointing at the person he is throwing to, but he ultimately always falls back to the erratic across the body throw...

Any suggestions? Our HC is about ready to give up on him after trying ad nauseam to get him to complete even the easiest of throws (practice OR game).

IMO, this isn't about mechanics, it's about athleticism.

Plenty of HS players survive with sub-optimal/quirky throwing mechanics.

So, my take is that the 14yo player in question isn't athletic enough to "complete even the easiest of throws."
    Last edited by skipper5; 12-04-2019, 10:29 AM.
    Skip

Comment

I am not sure exactly what you are describing as his arm should be travelling across his body. Now not being able to complete the easiest of throws is a problem. I would try making him throw football.

Comment

From what I am getting is that he is that if he is a RH thrower, his left foot is stepping to his right while he is trying to throw. His step doesn't allow his hips to open up for proper rotation through his throw. Essentially his upper half is trying to go left while his lower half went to the right first.

Comment

Why would you force a guy to throw over the top when his natural slot is low? Imo that is a bad idea, try to improve the natural slot he uses.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
            Why would you force a guy to throw over the top when his natural slot is low? Imo that is a bad idea, try to improve the natural slot he uses.
            Excellent point.
            Skip

Comment

Does he try to step and throw at the same time (arm is already coming forward as he is stepping)?

Comment

All these posts but without the biggest thing we need.

video. We need video and can better diagnose him.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                  Tried to get him to release earlier as the right arm is coming all the way left and a ball thrown to a partner across from him is sailing ten feet wide or going into the ground...

Comment

I am going to beat songtitle to this, and simply say that the player needs to coil while striding. This is the same as a hitter "stepping on the bucket" but with throwing.

Overall, you want the kid to be in the correct position when their foot comes down, and there are more than one way to do this.

However, at this age, I think it is time to start considering letting kids go who just can't get it. We take chances on younger athletes without polish, but eventually, you have to let them know that this isn't their game. I think right around this age is a good time to do that. We cut 2 kids that fit in this category, who we had around years before, but still had 15 kids on our school ball team.
                    Last edited by Viking0; 12-04-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Modal94 View Post
                      All these posts but without the biggest thing we need.

video. We need video and can better diagnose him.
                      ^ THIS - Come on - it's 2019 and almost 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post

^ THIS - Come on - it's 2019 and almost 2020
                        not his kid, probably shouldn't post video on a public forum without parental permission

Comment

Originally posted by baseabllmom View Post

not his kid, probably shouldn't post video on a public forum without parental permission
                          Thank you for keeping it real.

It would be inexcusably irresponsible to post video on a public forum without parental permission.

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post

Thank you for keeping it real.

It would be inexcusably irresponsible to post video on a public forum without parental permission.
                            At the same time, I don't think it's hard to find an example of his mechanics floating in the net. Even using football.

Comment

I have a different perspective on this and can relate. I have been playing ball with my adult brother. He has no business being on the field, as he has not played any organized sports - but he wants to play.

Its fun for him and it’s fun for me to teach him. He is quirky and is all over the place. He dances around trying to catch the ball, and then he dances even more trying to throw back to me.

I could picture him being that 14yr old. He already knows all eyes are on him - that’s a ton of pressure. He probably knows he is not the greatest and thinks he is the worst on the team - that’s another added issue. Same goes with my brother.

So I made it easier for him. I told him to forget about winning and forget about that you make mistakes. Get that out of your head - or you won’t get anywhere. It’s about improving any learning each game and each at bat. That immediately changed his game.

i started to throw to him at closer distances, without throwing to a bag or without fielding. This helped immensely. I didn’t correct his throws/movement, but I told him to stop aiming and make his throw more fluid. Again that improved things. I kept him comfortable. We added speed and distance every couple of minutes.

I did this with another guy on my team. He throws like Philip Rivers (QB). It’s weird, but the above helped him as well.

They both play the outfield - so I have taught them to find and hit the cut. Zero pressure on catching the ball, just try to keep it in front of you.

Let me know if this all makes sense and if it works for you.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X