Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brent Porciau, Pitching, and False Logic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZh6if0enig

Is he using false logic (in the first minute) comparing pitching and Olympic Weight Lifting? If so, how?
    Major Figure

I think Olympic lifting can help some but a lot of the energy in throwing comes from rotation which is not really present when you power clean or squat.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

OMG,
      “Is he using false logic (in the first minute) ”
      No. He is explaining what kids feel when they reach full range of motion in elbow flexion with heavy weight pressed against it is actually, previous injury. The problem here is he does not understand or will not explain why this, end of range of motion injury exists.

It is produced by forearm flyout (centripedal delivery) that intuitively has the Humerus driving in outwards rotation and forearm supinating that causes ballistic bone crash between the Ulna and Epicondyle of the Humerus. This crash produces first inflammation then splits in the hyaline cartilage where bone spurs grow thru then later break off becoming loose impediments within the Elbow and the infamous loss of flexion and extension ranges of motion Brent is talking about and teaches, hence the need for this video disclaimer.

He immediately contradicts himself by claiming the injury then minimizes it by claiming it is almost non existent with lifters, False. They bang it even harder.

Dr. Marshall has claimed all youth bone deformation or growth abnormalities, are non recoverable and all participants suffer from the ballistic effect.

“comparing pitching and Olympic Weight Lifting?”
      He was not comparing, he was endorsing heavy lifting for throwers. This is what generally knowledgeable trainers do, they generally fitness train you.
      Primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtberry View Post
        [B]OMG,[/B

He immediately contradicts himself by claiming the injury then minimizes it by claiming it is almost non existent with lifters, False. They bang it even harder.

,,, he was endorsing heavy lifting for throwers. This is what generally knowledgeable trainers do, they generally fitness train you.
        Something like that. He advocates Olympic Lifting but says it is a low risk activity for Olympic Lifters regarding elbow injuries (2.5%). He then says that the pain in the throwing elbow (while lifting) is caused from pitching i.e., it's from a previous pitching injury. To me it's somewhat of a distinction without a difference. Pitching clearly causes elbow injuries so the elbow pain is being exacerbated by Olympic Lifting. Olympic Lifting is good for Olympic Lifters but it sounds like it could be injurious for a pitcher's elbows and shoulders which are under constant pitching stress.
        Major Figure

Comment

IMO there are plenty of ways to get some of the benefits of Olympic lifting without all the risks. Check out what trainers like EC are doing. My kids squat and do a lot of squat variations, including single leg work. Almost all of it is with a SSB to reduce some of the stress on the shoulders, elbows, and wrists.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamInNY View Post
            IMO there are plenty of ways to get some of the benefits of Olympic lifting without all the risks. Check out what trainers like EC are doing. My kids squat and do a lot of squat variations, including single leg work. Almost all of it is with a SSB to reduce some of the stress on the shoulders, elbows, and wrists.
            Yeah, don't want to rob Peter to pay Paul in any of this stuff. Porciau uses the wrong Venn Diagram. It should be: 1.Power lifters who are also pitchers and 2. Elbow injuries. He has it: 1. Power lifters and 2. Elbow injuries.
            Major Figure

Comment

Originally posted by omg View Post
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZh6if0enig

Is he using false logic (in the first minute) comparing pitching and Olympic Weight Lifting? If so, how?
              Great video,thanks for sharing
              Last edited by bertha; 01-09-2020, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Omg,

He advocates Olympic Lifting but says it is a low risk activity for Olympic Lifters regarding elbow injuries (2.5%).
                I thought it was closer to 0, Yowza, Heavy lifting has long been known as a wreck waiting to happen at many joints by over taxing joint angles with the over zealous and ignorant but it's postural stability help is a positive. If people think they are going to recruit type 2b fast twitch muscle fiber by lifting heavy they are kidding them selves! Field players can gain from heavy lifting, batters or throwers, not so much.

All this has nothing to do with overhead ballistic baseball throwing, Brent has confused actual Heavy lifting injuries with throwing ones when he gives those percentages taken from non throwers.

“Pitching clearly causes elbow injuries so the elbow pain is being exacerbated by Olympic Lifting.”
                The lifts and chest rests do not exacerbate it, they just expose the loss of range of motion by vision, pain and ability to keep the bar level. Can you imagine having your glove arm Elbows range of motion be normal while at the same time the throwing arm Elbow has a loss of some amount of degrees of flexion range of motion then try to keep the bar level when you get there?

I personally have a loss of 12 degrees in flexion and 9 degrees in extension in my throwing Elbow.

“ Olympic Lifting is good for Olympic Lifters but it sounds like it could be injurious for a pitcher's elbows and shoulders which are under constant pitching stress. “
                I missed the percentage of shoulder injuries from lifting? And all the others?

I'll stick with the Sport specificity overload produced by an actual expert, thank you!
                Primum non nocere

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X