Pro preferred vs HOH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro preferred vs HOH

20 days until I order my glove. It will be a rawlings. I have it down to three or four gloves. 2 are Pro preferreds that are on closeoutbats.com ... One is a single post pros12 and the other is like a pp I-web with dual welting. Theyre both $279.00 on sale... Here is where it gets interesting.. I can get,for the same exact price , a horween HOH FROM DON MORTONS.. I'm lookinh for a stiffer glove that will last me a long time. Any advice?

Don't forget about coupon codes at DMS or find their listing on ebay and make an offer. Depending on how long they've had a glove, they've made some great deals in the past. An example would be their tan PRO1000's. One is from 2018 and has a deer tan liner, the other is from 2019 and has a Horween liner. If you don't mind the DTL, wheel and deal on the '18. Year also shows up in their sku #.
    "Whata crowd, whata crowd! I tell ya, I'm all right now but last week I was in rough shape..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ksmith123 View Post
      20 days until I order my glove. It will be a rawlings. I have it down to three or four gloves. 2 are Pro preferreds that are on closeoutbats.com ... One is a single post pros12 and the other is like a pp I-web with dual welting. Theyre both $279.00 on sale... Here is where it gets interesting.. I can get,for the same exact price , a horween HOH FROM DON MORTONS.. I'm lookinh for a stiffer glove that will last me a long time. Any advice?
      I have two sons that play quite a bit of baseball. My best guess is that jointly they've played in more than 1500 games to date. My one son is s sophomore in high school and my other son currently plays in college. They have been infielders, outfielders, and catchers. We've had Wilson A3000(very hard to find. And the ones out there now are ugly), a2000, A2K, Rawlings HOH, Rawlings pro-preferred, and Rawlings Gold Glove (opti-core). We've had all those gloves, not because gloves didn't last, but because I could never pass up a good deal... and over time I've always seemed to find the next best model at a good deal. They ultimately ended up with the Rawlings Gold Glove as their "go to" gloves.

I would say the HOH were the least favorite of all of them. But, it is a total preference. You mentioned that you want a stiffer glove. Well then HOH the hide is your glove. Every now and then you'll come across one that is significantly more supple or softer. but generally they are like concrete when you get them. And if you order online, you won't have a choice as to the glove you get. But my argument would be that the stiffness isn't necessarily the only thing that means a glove will last. and with that stiffness you will give up a lot of "feel." What is more important in how long a glove lasts is the way you take care of it. More on that in a minute.

So, you need to figure out what's most important: the feel or the apparent durability. My son's would both say that their Rawlings Gold Gloves are their favorite gloves that they've ever had. and with an MSRP of $500, it better be! Next would be the A3000 (which is my favorite of all of them), then the pro-preferred, then the a2000, a2k (an outfielder's glove that hasn't been used much), then HOH.

How important is "feel" to you. based on the gloves you're looking at, my guess is that you're third baseman. Then I would say that the feel is less important than it would be for a middle infielder. My sons are middle infieders, so the feel was a but more important to them. If you're not a third baseman, then you may not be looking at the right gloves.

How to make a glove last: many people think their glove has reached it's life expectancy when all it really needs is a re-lacing. Re-lacing a glove will stiffen it right up. But, how you treat the glove on a daily basis will determine how long it lasts. My sons NEVER throw their gloves on the ground. They place them on the ground with an "open" hand and the palm facing down. When you toss a glove onto the ground and let it lay on it's side, it will flatten out and become floppy sooner than it should. After every few uses, especially hot, sweaty days, they will put some conditioner in the finger stalls and in the glove where the palm sits. Sweat from your palms will break down that leather. so they keep it conditioned. Also, periodically, they will glob some conditioner on the very tips of the fingers and the laces (especially the knots) to keep laces in good shape.

lastly, when they travel they have custom molds (similar to web gem systems that you see online) that they put in the gloves. Their glove is never put in their bag unless the custom mold is in in. FYI: the web gems could be expensive. I actually developed a way to make my own for each glove. They're awesome and way better than web gems, because they are truly customized to each glove. Here's my video on how to make the mold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1eZyqNKJY Sorry - it's 30 min long. Long story, but I didn't think it would be that long when I was doing it. had I realized it, I would have shortened a bunch of the clips. But once I did it, it was too late. BTW: if you ever attempt to make one of the molds, there's one thing I would do differently. I would use the yellow "Great Stuff" foam insulation for the entire thing, because it's softer and more flexible.
      Last edited by Mikeymazz; 02-07-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

That Morton will last you a lifetime if you care for it...

Comment

My outfield glove is an HoH Trapeze. I've had it almost 15 years and it's still in good shape. Just bought a 44 Pro for my infield glove. We'll see how it holds up.
          See ball, hit ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksmith123 View Post
            First off - both PP & HOH gloves are very good.

Although given a choice I would take a Horween Code 55 HOH over just about anything. The non Horween 55 HOH gloves are not as good - in my opinion. They are good but not as good.

You can get them at Don Morton's and Softball Fans.com.

If you look at enough information on the net you will both sides of the story....HOH is stiffer and will last longer ----the next will proclaim the PP as the champ. It all depends on who owns what. Everyone wants to own what they believe is the top of the line.

Basically it will come down to your personal preference and feel.

With that being said I recently had a conversation with someone at DMS, and I asked him about both gloves. In his opinion the Horween leather gloves that they have now are superior to Kip. Now DMS sells both and if I ordered a PP I am sure he wouldn't have argued, but he was pretty sure that Horween was superior. He suggested that a lot of marketing goes into the PP. Take that for what it is worth. I have had multiple conversations with him over the years and it never waivers - even when Horween leather was not available to Rawlings.

Also - and I always go back to this --- Bob Clevenhagen - who use to be a Rawlings glove designer always told me that Horween Code 55 is the best leather he ever saw on a glove. Bob is no longer with us but anyone that ever spoke to Bob knows what a gem he was for anyone interested in gloves.

Personally I feel that a broken in PP can get slick especially in cooler weather. Maybe that is just me but I don't feel that way about HOH Horween.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X