Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you handle a kid who doesn't want to play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you handle a kid who doesn't want to play?

Interested in your thoughts here. Generally speaking, travel ball teams here work like this:

- August tryouts
    - Administrative stuff: budget, money, schedule, facility, uniforms, etc.
    - Maybe play in the fall, most likely not
    - Winter indoor workouts
    - Shut down in Spring for school baseball
    - Play 50-60 games in 10 or so weeks in the Summer
    - Rinse, lather, repeat.

So, we are at winter workout phase. We have a (14u) kid who dropped on his dad that he doesn't want to play. His dad felt like it was out of left field. He did come the first week, but did not come the second. I feel for the kid and hope he changes his mind. If it matters, this is technically a new team but most of the kids know each other and have played with each other at one point or another. He has many friends on the team, knows the coaches, etc. He is a good kid, and a good player. We should be a top 3 area team.

Would you give him time and hold the spot? Give him a deadline to make a final decision? Start advertising an open roster spot (we only had 12 with him)?

There is more to this story. I player doesn't just not want to play. Perhaps there were signs all along and the dad missed them. Maybe there is a conflict with one or two players. It might be that the young man doesn't see himself playing HS ball or beyond HS ball and doesn't see the reasoning for any further waste of the parent's money. Did this player's friends change? That might be a major sign since you mentioned he had friends on the team. Don't forget that for HS players, there is always the possibility of the girlfriend and trying to find time to be with her.

As a coach on this team, you need to sit-down with the young man and make sure he knows your situation and that you are counting on him to play. If he can't continue to commit, you have to move on since you only have 12.
    Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Wouldn't hold a spot, but I'd leave the door open for him to join the team later if he decides that he wants to play and then work on filling out the team in the meantime. If you fill up the roster before he makes a decision, that's on him.

It sounds like you have probably another month or two of winter work before you shut down for school ball, if you find a couple of dudes that need a team then you should take them--you're going to need a lot of arms to play 60 games between May and July anyway, 11 kids isn't going to be enough (12 might be rough too).

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
        There is more to this story. I player doesn't just not want to play. Perhaps there were signs all along and the dad missed them. Maybe there is a conflict with one or two players. It might be that the young man doesn't see himself playing HS ball or beyond HS ball and doesn't see the reasoning for any further waste of the parent's money. Did this player's friends change? That might be a major sign since you mentioned he had friends on the team. Don't forget that for HS players, there is always the possibility of the girlfriend and trying to find time to be with her.

As a coach on this team, you need to sit-down with the young man and make sure he knows your situation and that you are counting on him to play. If he can't continue to commit, you have to move on since you only have 12.
        for sure, there is definitely more to the story. and the next step is to talk to him (hopefully without the dad).

agree mistersean, need as many arms as possible. we will play around 50 games. we had 13 boys at one point and one of those fell through. will be very difficult to find a suitable 12th now. in all likelihood the best we could hope to do is someone who could commit to a couple of tournaments for us.

Comment

You may be able to recruit someone from one of your boys' school teams. If there isn't anyone left from tryouts that you can use, you can always have your boys keep an eye out.

Comment

I know this dad and family. I have given lessons to this young lady as a favor before but not too many times. The family knows that due to certain circumstances, I can not give her lessons on a full time basis.
            Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X