No announcement yet.

Anyone else heartbroken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

at this point, i think states should all but give up on anything resembling a real season or a state tournament.

i would consider it a success if our teams hit the field at all. holding off as long as possible before calling it altogether and organizing some games before the school year runs out is the best anyone can reasonably hope for given the calendar and what the next few weeks are projected to be like. (i'm in NY though, so my experience might be a little more heightened than yours)

i would imagine the first time baseball players step foot on a field with their team is going to feel pretty darn good though.

Comment

Originally posted by abc123 View Post
      i would consider it a success if our teams hit the field at all. holding off as long as possible before calling it altogether and organizing some games before the school year runs out is the best anyone can reasonably hope for given the calendar and what the next few weeks are projected to be like.
      That is what CA is currently doing...holding off before scrapping the spring season altogether.
      CIF takes wait-and-see approach concerning spring sports cancellation
      Ten section commissioners to meet again April 3 to reassess status of resuming season.

Will they have a chance to repeat as section and national champs?

The California Interscholastic Federation announced Tuesday afternoon it was not ending the high school spring sports season, but taking a wait-and-see approach after the coronavirus outbreak scrapped the state basketball finals last week.

"While the time may come when we have to cancel postseason events, today is not that day," CIF Executive Director Ron Nocetti wrote, adding "the CIF has not determined the future of spring sports events at this time and intends to reconvene with the 10 Section Commissioners on April 3 to revisit this issue."

The spring seasons have been on hold as the coronavirus pandemic has shuttered schools and many areas of the state and nation have been ordered to shelter in place.

Updates will be provided as news and information develops.
      In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Just saw a press release from the Florida High School Sports Association that they are looking at extending their high school season to June 30th in hopes to get spring sports in.

Comment

We’re stuck until May 1. In the absolute best case scenario what I expect is low problem states will be told go back to work with social distancing, then go home. On June first states that aren’t complete disasters will be told the same. I can’t see going back to normal every day life until July or August in the best case scenario.,

Comment

agree, jett.

i keep lowering my expectations.

- well, as long as they get back for school ball
            - well, as long as they get some school ball
            - well, as long as we get to start summer on time
            - well, as long as we get to do our big tournaments

now, its

- well, as long as we get to play this year

Comment

Originally posted by abc123 View Post
              agree, jett.

i keep lowering my expectations.

- well, as long as they get back for school ball
              - well, as long as they get some school ball
              - well, as long as we get to start summer on time
              - well, as long as we get to do our big tournaments

now, its

- well, as long as we get to play this year
              I am of the same mind set also. Just hoping there is something to play this year. Woke up this morning to an invite for my son to tryout out for the Area Codes underclass team. Kind of bitter sweet. It's in July, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Michigan schools closed for rest of school year so no school ball this year. What has me worried for travel ball was our tournaments were to be played on college fields. When U of M closed they specifically mentioned their rental facilities were closed too. Starting to look like only a neutral site like perhaps a field at a park will be a viable option. When MLB talks of no fans and neutral sites, it sounds pretty grim for the kids.
                "Whata crowd, whata crowd! I tell ya, I'm all right now but last week I was in rough shape..."

Comment

The most difficult thing for somebody like me now is the uncertainty in everything. If we could just have an idea if and when things will return, then we could plan, even if it was next winter. When I start worrying about baseball, I remember my friends who own restaurants and what they are going through, and realize my concerns are small in comparison. They tried the takeout thing, and found it lost more money than it made. They also need to keep their better cooks on the payroll (that is where the stimulus money helps some), so they don't leave for something else. Also, I am sure that their concerns would be put in perspective for somebody who actually got the virus with a bad reaction. Thankfully, our community only has 13 out of roughly 60K people with the virus confirmed, and zero deaths so far.

Comment

I just read why the Valley League (collegiate summer league in VA) cancelled their 2020 summer season. Many of the reasons provided tells me there isn’t going to be summer baseball anywhere below the pro level.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking0 View Post
                      The most difficult thing for somebody like me now is the uncertainty in everything. If we could just have an idea if and when things will return, then we could plan, even if it was next winter. When I start worrying about baseball, I remember my friends who own restaurants and what they are going through, and realize my concerns are small in comparison. They tried the takeout thing, and found it lost more money than it made. They also need to keep their better cooks on the payroll (that is where the stimulus money helps some), so they don't leave for something else. Also, I am sure that their concerns would be put in perspective for somebody who actually got the virus with a bad reaction. Thankfully, our community only has 13 out of roughly 60K people with the virus confirmed, and zero deaths so far.
                      I think, considering liability issues, that any organized ball for youth players that requires insurance will not happen this calendar year. Maybe if players wear masks and all attendees sign waivers, but I wouldn't want to insure a youth league under even those conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by baseabllmom View Post

Maybe if players wear masks and all attendees sign waivers, but I wouldn't want to insure a youth league under even those conditions.
                        Any attorneys here? Would a hold-harmless waiver stand up?

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
                          I just read why the Valley League (collegiate summer league in VA) cancelled their 2020 summer season. Many of the reasons provided tells me there isn’t going to be summer baseball anywhere below the pro level.
                          A lot of groupies in that league. What a shame.
                          Major Figure

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post

Any attorneys here? Would a hold-harmless waiver stand up?
                            I asked a lawyer the first time I organized a travel team. He laughed. They’re worthless the second you prove negligence.

When people go back to work I’ll bet continuing social distancing whenever possible will still be advised other than necessary situations. There’s nothing necessary about youth baseball.
                            Last edited by JettSixty; 04-03-2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

It sucks, especially for kids who were going to be playing their last year of ball. That said, if you ask them in 10 to 15 years, e.g. when they are adults, if playing would have been worth possibly getting their father/grandfather/coaches infected my guess is that most will say no.

What gets me, and I think it is indicative of ball parents in the 21st century, is that if you look at the various ball related message boards/FB pages/etc, the parents are acting as if they are the ones who are not getting to play...
                              Last edited by pattar; 04-04-2020, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pattar View Post
                                It sucks, especially for kids who were going to be playing their last year of ball. That said, if you ask them in 10 to 15 years, e.g. when they are adults, if playing would have been worth possibly getting their father/grandfather/coaches infected my guess is that most will say no.

What gets me, and I think it is indicative of ball parents in the 21st century, is that if you look at the various ball related message boards/FB pages/etc, the parents are acting as if they are the ones who are not getting to play...
                                I just answered an email for a HS player. She is seriously struggling with this. However, you are correct. She has her priorities in the right place and would not want her parents or grandparents to get sick from coming to a game to watch her. I feel for all of the kids. You are also correct in that so many parents are not taking this well and are a little out there at times. I went past a ball field in a neighboring community and there were parents running a practice. That community has several cases of the virus.
                                Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X