What are you doing in lockdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you doing in lockdown?

Of course we were getting ramped up before all this shut us down. I hate to lose where we were at physically and mentally. Ive been taking my 2 kids down to the neighborhood park. My son likes to warm up kicking soccer ball around, doing bp, 1st base drills and longtoss. I think mine will be ok when the season starts back up but a little concerned with our other players who might be stuck inside.

As long as the kids are having fun what you’re doing is good. I doubt it will have much effect on development. As for being prepared there probably won’t be sports to be played until the fall. Anything lost during this time will be caught up with growth and getting back out in the field. Players miss time from injuries and catch up.

Comment

The financial implications that some will unfortunately have to deal with notwithstanding...this new stay-at-home order we have in CA can hopefully have a positive spin to it, by allowing parents and their children to spend more quality time together, as something that our prior, hustling bustling lives and schedules didn't always allow.

As per the order:
      So long as you are maintaining a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household, it is ok to go outside for exercise, a walk or fresh air.
      Which to me, would make a family going to the park to work on baseball (or other) skills as "exercise", a very acceptable practice, and one that might not have been so readily or easily available time wise in many cases prior to our current situation.

While I'm as concerned as anyone is to the ultimate outcome of this alarming pandemic we're all going through together wherever any of us are on this planet...I'm still trying to find some positive things that may come out of it now, and in its aftermath.

Stay safe, stay healthy, be kind and look after your neighbors as we all navigate these upcoming uncharted waters ahead of us. But know we'll all come out of this, and hopefully be better globally as a result of it.

All the best,
      mud -
      In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Yup. My kid's school is doing the cyber thing where they try to continue to teaching remotely. Well, our version of "gym class" 4 of the 5 days this week was to head down to the field and hit about 100 balls a day. Sure beats playing co-ed deck hockey or whatever they might have been doing in actual gym class.

Comment

I’m able to work from home, so we are already in a routine where my 14u gets up at noon, which to be honest kind of works out well. He’ll do schoolwork and mix it up with semi productive baseball related stuff throughout the afternoon. He’ll hit, or warm up and throw a bullpen into a net or lift or whatever. When I’m done after dinner we’ll typically play catch.

its just a shame because he loves working out with his team and is taking pride in getting tall (5’10) and getting strong and getting a hunger to get bigger and stronger, but he really fed off of his friends/team. Their competitive spirit is being channeled into MLB the Show 2020 now and its going to be that way for a long time,

It’s still too wet to get on a field so we chewed up a couple balls hitting grounders in school parking lot today. An hour after we got home, he asked to go back.

Comment

the weights in the garage and bownet/tee in the front yard are getting quite the workout every day.

Comment

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fh3rl337n355.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F05%2Fmom-said-go-play-outside-meme.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Unfortunately, training is good but no substitute for the game and competition of peers

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe View Post
                  Unfortunately, training is good but no substitute for the game and competition of peers
                  It's all relative. Nobody's playing games competitive or not, so no one's got a leg up on anyone else when it comes to improvement. All one can do is prepare, and stay as fit as much as possible for when the day does come that everyone's back on the field together.

If you're worried about teammates...phones still work. Call the others on the team, give them a "stay at home" training plan, and have them get out in the backyard or park, to prepare like your son's doing for when the season resumes again.

Look at the glass as half full instead of half empty, and do what you can to help others in these definitely odd times we're all going through together.
                  In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

My kids start Mommy school tomorrow - my 6 year old daughter is excited, my 11 year old son is quivering. We bought hacking the kinetic chain in January, but didn't really commit to it. Seems like a good thing to work on now. Also - Mommy PE will involve yoga and some time on the little used rowing machine and exercise bike.

I think the little wiffle ball pitching machine will also get dusted off, because that's just fun.

Comment

For this with limited space, are you doing any type of hitting other than a tee and net? Trying to find ways to mix things up. We don't have a big garage and our driveway is very thin with no room to hit balls without them going into neighbors yards and over fences. So one thing we have been doing is having my son stand just outside the garage entrance and face towards the garage. I have a bucket of mini foam baseballs, similar to the Soft Hit balls, and I will pitch them to him from the garage and have him back into the garage. We use our hitting net as a backstop behind him. Half the balls are white and half are yellow. To mix things up, I will tell him to take the white balls and hit the yellow (kind of like leaving curve, hit FB). But looking for other things to do. I ordered some Macro Giant foam balls the other day. Depending on how hard they are and fast they fly, we may try some front toss hitting back into the garage (getting creative using garage items as a screen). May also try to take those out to the local park and try hitting them on the tennis court.

Of course our high school facilities are closed and our showcase team facility recently closed also. So no real hitting cages to use right now. So just trying to keep my son sharp just in case (Texas UIL recently stated they are going to try to start games back up on May 4th if the situation allows).

Comment

Son has had a weightlifting class all year and didn't want to lose gains so I needed to beef up our weight amounts. Couldn't find a reasonably priced 45 lb plate as most were sold out likely due to others having the same idea. Pulled tarps off our pitcher's mound and batter's box the earliest I've ever done it and we got 2 inches of snow yesterday. Cracking up at all the new home school teacher posts were the teacher is suspending students after one day of class, day drinking on breaks, and holding fire drills. Come on warm weather!
                        "Whata crowd, whata crowd! I tell ya, I'm all right now but last week I was in rough shape..."

Comment

Originally posted by Wally Gator View Post
                          Son has had a weightlifting class all year and didn't want to lose gains so I needed to beef up our weight amounts. Couldn't find a reasonably priced 45 lb plate as most were sold out likely due to others having the same idea. Pulled tarps off our pitcher's mound and batter's box the earliest I've ever done it and we got 2 inches of snow yesterday. Cracking up at all the new home school teacher posts were the teacher is suspending students after one day of class, day drinking on breaks, and holding fire drills. Come on warm weather!
                          Yea, finding weights right now is like trying to find toilet paper. Trying to find a a bench and weight set for my son. Everywhere is sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally Gator View Post
                            Originally posted by Colonel21 View Post

Yea, finding weights right now is like trying to find toilet paper. Trying to find a a bench and weight set for my son. Everywhere is sold out.
                            The real difficulty is finding an open sporting goods store. There's plenty of training equipment available for purchase, tho. Try Amazon.
                            Put it in the books.

Comment

Tee/front toss wiffles/fielding drills at home in the garage/driveway and local park when the weather is nice. The only thing that upset me a bit was that my 5 YO son had a countdown calendar to his first day of t-ball practice (his 1st year) and when my wife told him t-ball was cancelled for the time being he went to his room, put a big X on the day when it was supposed to start and then put a sad face next to it..

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X