Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you doing in lockdown?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by pattar View Post
    Tee/front toss wiffles/fielding drills at home in the garage/driveway and local park when the weather is nice. The only thing that upset me a bit was that my 5 YO son had a countdown calendar to his first day of t-ball practice (his 1st year) and when my wife told him t-ball was cancelled for the time being he went to his room, put a big X on the day when it was supposed to start and then put a sad face next to it..
    I have gotten pretty good at teaching via zoom. I am brainstorming how to host a zoom t-ball practice one weekend. Not the same, but not "nothin'" either

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by baseabllmom View Post

      I have gotten pretty good at teaching via zoom. I am brainstorming how to host a zoom t-ball practice one weekend. Not the same, but not "nothin'" either
      He doesn't really need the practice per se as he plays with his sister and I quite often..he was just excited to be on a team, have teammates, wear a uniform etc like his big sister.

      They gave us the option of lecturing using zoom but I am only teaching a graduate course so I chose a more "let the students be a bit more independent" route for the rest of
      the semester....

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by pattar View Post

        They gave us the option of lecturing using zoom but I am only teaching a graduate course so I chose a more "let the students be a bit more independent" route for the rest of
        the semester....
        Lucky you. Graduate students are much easier to teach remotely. One of the potential benefits of this is that it will allow me to push more of our faculty to teach their graduate courses online. However, despite being in charge of graduate programs, I am currently teaching a freshmen course this term. Freshmen non general education courses do not do well with online learning.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Viking0 View Post

          Lucky you. Graduate students are much easier to teach remotely. One of the potential benefits of this is that it will allow me to push more of our faculty to teach their graduate courses online. However, despite being in charge of graduate programs, I am currently teaching a freshmen course this term. Freshmen non general education courses do not do well with online learning.
          If this was Fall semester it would be have been more difficult, even for the graduate course I teach. For the course I teach in the Spring most of the foundational material is in the first 4 or 5 weeks. The rest of the semester is just extensions to that material and in most cases the extension is fairly trivial if you understand the foundational material (sometimes a big if...)

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Colonel21 View Post
            For this with limited space, are you doing any type of hitting other than a tee and net? Trying to find ways to mix things up. We don't have a big garage and our driveway is very thin with no room to hit balls without them going into neighbors yards and over fences. So one thing we have been doing is having my son stand just outside the garage entrance and face towards the garage. I have a bucket of mini foam baseballs, similar to the Soft Hit balls, and I will pitch them to him from the garage and have him back into the garage. We use our hitting net as a backstop behind him. Half the balls are white and half are yellow. To mix things up, I will tell him to take the white balls and hit the yellow (kind of like leaving curve, hit FB). But looking for other things to do. I ordered some Macro Giant foam balls the other day. Depending on how hard they are and fast they fly, we may try some front toss hitting back into the garage (getting creative using garage items as a screen). May also try to take those out to the local park and try hitting them on the tennis court.

            Of course our high school facilities are closed and our showcase team facility recently closed also. So no real hitting cages to use right now. So just trying to keep my son sharp just in case (Texas UIL recently stated they are going to try to start games back up on May 4th if the situation allows).
            Following up on my post and the Macro Giant balls. They came in the other day and took my son up to the park to hit with them. I think they are a great purchase. They are not super soft, but soft enough that you can hit in your garage if you don't have anything breakable in there. Also give some good feedback if you cutting across the ball and not squaring it up. We took some BP with the half bat, which gave really good feedback. Then took some rounds with a real bat. I would say they fly around 30 to 40 yards.

            Comment


            • #21
              Has anyone gotten into a daily routine yet? We are still struggling to get into a consistent routine. I think today we are going to map out a schedule to try to incorporate strength training, explosiveness training, running, throwing/pitching, and hitting. Just was seeing what other types of daily routines people are getting into. Now that we are on a shelter in place/stay at home order by our county, trying to figure out how to incorporate everything into the area around our home.

              Comment


              • #22
                When the weather permits, we go to a secluded part of the part and hit with the plyo balls. I have a portable Atec screen so I can front toss to him and since the park is attached to a school he hits against the wall so there no crazy pick up mess. I have been using a modified DL hitting program that includes both tee and front toss with the open and close stances

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Colonel21 View Post
                  Has anyone gotten into a daily routine yet? We are still struggling to get into a consistent routine. I think today we are going to map out a schedule to try to incorporate strength training, explosiveness training, running, throwing/pitching, and hitting. Just was seeing what other types of daily routines people are getting into. Now that we are on a shelter in place/stay at home order by our county, trying to figure out how to incorporate everything into the area around our home.
                  Our shelter in place allows for exercise so since the local field is open I consider going to the field with my 5 YO and 10 YO to fall within that purview We've been doing that every other day or so along with doing some stuff at home (fielding drills, tee work, wiffles and just playing catch with the 5 YO) plus some basketball at home.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Colonel21 View Post
                    Has anyone gotten into a daily routine yet? We are still struggling to get into a consistent routine. I think today we are going to map out a schedule to try to incorporate strength training, explosiveness training, running, throwing/pitching, and hitting. Just was seeing what other types of daily routines people are getting into. Now that we are on a shelter in place/stay at home order by our county, trying to figure out how to incorporate everything into the area around our home.
                    In December I setup a hitting mat and (3) GoSports 7x4 hitting nets in the basement. Little did I know it would get this much use. Here's the routine for my 13 yr old (plays primarily Second base)

                    Sunday & Wednesday - Hitting off the tee. Wood with 2" PowerNet Balls then Drop 5 with Diamond Flexi Balls. He also does bunting with the yellow micro balls and a thin bat.

                    Monday & Thursday - Conditioning - Right before the virus hit, I purchased the Ultimate Sandbag with the Water bag option. This turned out to be an excellent addition as he can do a core training routine at home that is super beneficial for baseball.

                    Tuesday - Fielding in the basement. Dry hands work from the knees. Series of Forehand and Backhand. Starting with Bare Hand, Flat Glove, 9" Glove then regular glove. We also do a series of small Disc Golf Frisbee throws/catch to work on hand/eye coordination. Fun!

                    Friday - Throwing - Outside to an empty field. Series of throws from 30', 60', 90' Turn Double Play, 100', 120', 70' then infield in, play at the plate. Working both one shuffle and two shuffle footwork throws.

                    Saturday - Off (or switch up throwing day depending on the weather).

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X