Workouts for 10U Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workouts for 10U Player

Good morning everyone - my 9 year old son (10U player) wants to start "working out". We're stuck without baseball games for the foreseeable future but we are throwing fielding and hitting almost daily and he wants to do other things in addition to that to stay in shape. Does anyone have any suggestions for a fun, effective yet age appropriate "work out" that he can do? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

I would only have him do body weight stuff and I would make it fun. Climbing trees, pull up type stuff. Dropping a ball and having him sprint to get it on the first bounce from you a few feet away. Make him do things that are fun that will seem like a game and not like a workout. At 9 years old you want to make him learn to love working out so he will do it on his own when he gets older.

Comment

I am making my 9 year old throw every other day, pitch twice a week, and hit 4 days a week, with infield in the street 2 or 3 times, along with his willing 12 year old brother.

He recommends 1000 right hand mouse moves while he plays 8 hours of Minecrap every day. I wish he was motivated to do baseball workouts.

He does jump for a long time on the trampoline and has been playing whiffle ball with neighbors (more or less staying 6 feet away from each other). I agree fun workouts at that age, but I'm just a dad coach so take it for what it is worth.

Comment

Our sons are similar age. Mine is 10. I would only recommend body weight stuff. Push-ups, Pull-ups, Crunches. We use a medicine ball to focus on the core. We use a resistant band for leg work (Squats, etc.) We use battle ropes to build strength, Ladder/Small Hurdles to work explosions and fast twitch muscles. Just find a schedule that works for you. Don't over do it, make up some fun challenges. Luckily for me, his older sister (12) is a really good soccer player so they always want to compete against each other so I don't have to do any pushing to get them to do it.
        Instagram: gavin_thereal34

Comment

Originally posted by coachrjb View Post
          Our sons are similar age. Mine is 10. I would only recommend body weight stuff. Push-ups, Pull-ups, Crunches. We use a medicine ball to focus on the core. We use a resistant band for leg work (Squats, etc.) We use battle ropes to build strength, Ladder/Small Hurdles to work explosions and fast twitch muscles. Just find a schedule that works for you. Don't over do it, make up some fun challenges. Luckily for me, his older sister (12) is a really good soccer player so they always want to compete against each other so I don't have to do any pushing to get them to do it.
          Good stuff.
          My 7 yr-old grandson avidly watches a TV show called American Ninja Warror Junior. It's a darned good show, and I've got to believe it inspires a lot of young kids to be physically active, and also inspires some kids to challenge themselves.
          Skip

Comment

Good time to work on switch hitting and, hey why not, switch throwing. Also, take a bat, hold it with one hand in the middle, and see how many times in a row you can bounce ball off bat up in air. Try with your off hand as well which is much harder. My record is 467 times in a row with my good hand, 128 with my off hand.
            Major Figure

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X