Elbow pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbow pain

Son had a pitching lesson yesterday. Went well, threw great etc. Afterwards we went to the field to hit. Hit about 10 or 15 balls and after the last swing he said his elbow hurt. Asked him if it hurt when he was throwing earlier and he said no, that it just started hurting after that swing. Anyway.....it now hurts to throw or swing. Getting him an appointment Monday but figured I'd ask if anyone had any thoughts here. He's 14. Pain on inside of elbow. Been throwing but not a ton as there is no baseball to be played.

Pain on inside of elbow is where the problems are for pitchers. Get an appt with a sports doc only, not your regular doc. Either way will need to stop throwing for a 10+ days. Good luck.
    efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Agree with Song...see a sports specific doc, and no throwing until the doc releases him to do so. Best of luck.
      In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Hollowbox View Post
        Son had a pitching lesson yesterday. Went well, threw great etc. Afterwards we went to the field to hit. Hit about 10 or 15 balls and after the last swing he said his elbow hurt. Asked him if it hurt when he was throwing earlier and he said no, that it just started hurting after that swing. Anyway.....it now hurts to throw or swing. Getting him an appointment Monday but figured I'd ask if anyone had any thoughts here. He's 14. Pain on inside of elbow. Been throwing but not a ton as there is no baseball to be played.
        The problem with your question here is that none of us are doctors and we should never give advice to a parent about pain that their child is feeling. In reality, it could be a lot of different things. Personally, I've never heard of anyone hurting their elbow on a swing. The best advice has already been given but I would agree that your son needs to see a sports doctor.
        Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post

The problem with your question here is that none of us are doctors and we should never give advice to a parent about pain that their child is feeling. In reality, it could be a lot of different things. Personally, I've never heard of anyone hurting their elbow on a swing. The best advice has already been given but I would agree that your son needs to see a sports doctor.
          Yeah, that's what weirds me out. If he said his arm hurt while throwing then ok....that is at least reasonable.....but he didn't complain about it till about 15 swings in. I've asked him repeatedly if he felt anything while throwing and he said no. In fact he said his arm felt great after his lesson and was all geeked up because he felt he threw really well. Anyway.....my wife will get him an appointment with a sports orthopedist on Monday and I will hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollowbox View Post

Yeah, that's what weirds me out. If he said his arm hurt while throwing then ok....that is at least reasonable.....but he didn't complain about it till about 15 swings in. I've asked him repeatedly if he felt anything while throwing and he said no. In fact he said his arm felt great after his lesson and was all geeked up because he felt he threw really well. Anyway.....my wife will get him an appointment with a sports orthopedist on Monday and I will hope for the best.
            Good luck and please let us know what happens. Many of us have had children who have played at a fairly high level. The one constant for all of our players is that there are those bumps in the road where injuries have surfaced. I know for me, my daughter took a swing in a college game and has not been the same. She tore her right knee up and has failed to get surgery to this point. I know we all wish you well.
            Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

I have a deal with the doctors. I don’t practice medicine. They don’t teach baseball. Go see a sports orthopedic surgeon. A PCP will tell you take Aleve for a week and call back if the pain doesn’t subside.

Comment

Hollowbox,
                At this chronological age kids start messing with Curves and Sliders, they have to. This means they will learn the intuitive traditional Forearm supinated pathomechanical versions that are taught everywhere. This is a huge mistake ( I got this from a Dr. in this actual field) when there are safe pass thru Elbow swivel forearm pronated versions, even the Cutter. And they should be learned ASAP !

Have you assessed his biological age with his coaches or Dr. ? This is the only information you should go by when formulating a fitness program for youth athletes. His Elbow growth centers are solidified at Biological/ chronological 16 if he is an equated maturer, red flag here.

Son had a pitching lesson yesterday. Went well, threw great etc.”
                Is he fit to throw a bull pen? How often does he go maximal from the mound? To much to soon? Not enough pre lead up throwing before Bull pennning?

Afterwards we went to the field to hit.”
                Is he LL, RR, LR or RL. Is his throwing arm (dominant arm) at the back when he Bats? The Flexor mass Tendons where you described the pain are little used with the dominant back side arm when batting but are used aggresively to drive forearm supinated pitch types including fastballs. Red Flag

Miss balanced contact that vibrates the bat handle can fireoff previous injuries caused by something else?

Asked him if it hurt when he was throwing earlier and he said no, that it just started hurting after that swing.”
                This would indicate he stretched it out giving him short term laxity (Ligaments have no pain receptors) in the Elbow. Tendons are strange in that they can be over tweeked when worked then they start barking a day later.

Getting him an appointment Monday but figured I'd ask if anyone had any thoughts here.
                If you can this is the perfect time to see where he is at with bone developement !!!

If the Dr. takes an X-ray ? have him take the glove arm side also. They can now be compared side by side by a radiologist for growth patterns. If his throwing arm growth plates are further closed than the glove arm it means he is deforming his growth curve and his throwing arm is now older biologically than the glove arm Elbow and will close for growth before the glove arm side.

He's 14. Pain on inside of elbow. Been throwing but not a ton as there is no baseball to be played. “
                Lack of fitness to proceed is always disrupting our current process and timing, especially with youth whom should all be pitching mandatory even when they are fit, if you want to play them, spread the load.

I would suggest a 5 week daily throwing program before any mound maximal work ! 2 weeks of competitive batting practice before addrenaline assisted game competitions, Club teams can not do this.
                Last edited by Dirtberry; Yesterday, 10:46 PM.
                Primum non nocere

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X