Time to take a break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to take a break?

Anybody else thinking this season (youth baseball) is a wash? My sons team last tournament was first of March and we have been practicing ever since then but with our governor (NC) just announcing new plans for phase 2 and will be in effect till at least June 26, there is no telling when we’ll play again. We were hoping to be able to play in phase 2 but outside gatherings are limited to 25. Who knows what the limit will be phase 3, maybe 50? I can tell my son is starting to get bored and dreading practices with no games/tournaments to look forward to and to get excited about. Wondering if we just stop altogether for now and just make the best of the summer,go fishing, try to get some trips in somewhere and put baseball on the back burner for now till we have a date. Just don’t won’t him to get burned out practicing for 4 straight months!

i'm jealous that

1. you had tournaments

and

2. that you are practicing

Comment

I think that there is a time for taking a break and going fishing. By "practice" it seems strange being from where I am that you could be practicing. No one around my area has been able to practice. I did see one softball team practice but heard that they got turned in. BTW, I also believe that there are times where just playing catch with your son does more good than practice.
      Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Yeah I guess we are fortunate to be able to keep practicing. We are in a very conservative area, one of our practices the local police rode by while we were practicing and waved at us.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
          I think that there is a time for taking a break and going fishing. By "practice" it seems strange being from where I am that you could be practicing. No one around my area has been able to practice. I did see one softball team practice but heard that they got turned in. BTW, I also believe that there are times where just playing catch with your son does more good than practice.
          We have been practicing for a few weeks too. Heck, Tuesday night almost all our fields had teams. Affiliated league youth sports are not supposed to start practicing till 5/31 here in Texas but they cant stop private teams from using public parks which are open. Just no tournaments unfortunately.

Comment

Chance of severe Covid in preteens is vanishingly small, and transmission from preteens to adults is negligible.
            Skip

Comment

I would be up for a short break if there was something we were "allowed" to do in California. However, after a few weeks of no baseball, much of the 12U team was restless. Five weeks ago we started twice a week virtual practices via Zoom where the kids do oral reports on Hall of Fame players and where we discuss baseball strategy (well, we also did a baseball movie trivia day). This week three boys started social distance practices at my house where 3 kids come at a time. After taking temperatures of boys and parent, the boys warm up fielding grounders in the street. Then we rotate with one piching off a portable mound into a net, one hitting in a cage, and one doing various tee drills into a net. We stay 6 feet apart and wear masks when possible. The boys liked it so much, the rest of the team now wants to participate, so next week we have four 1-hour sessions already planned. At least it gets them off Minecraft and Fortnite for a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pwrecker289 View Post
                I would be up for a short break if there was something we were "allowed" to do in California. However, after a few weeks of no baseball, much of the 12U team was restless. Five weeks ago we started twice a week virtual practices via Zoom where the kids do oral reports on Hall of Fame players and where we discuss baseball strategy (well, we also did a baseball movie trivia day). This week three boys started social distance practices at my house where 3 kids come at a time. After taking temperatures of boys and parent, the boys warm up fielding grounders in the street. Then we rotate with one piching off a portable mound into a net, one hitting in a cage, and one doing various tee drills into a net. We stay 6 feet apart and wear masks when possible. The boys liked it so much, the rest of the team now wants to participate, so next week we have four 1-hour sessions already planned. At least it gets them off Minecraft and Fortnite for a day.
                Wow, thats seems like serious overkill. We are rolling with full practices except 4 per dugout. If someone has elderly living with them, they avoid team practices. Football or basketball I guess I understand a bit more.

Comment

We would hold a full practice, but we can't do so at local parks and no party will rent a field for fear of liability.

The parents like the Zoom meetings as they boys have only about 2 hours of school work and then have nothing else to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Pwrecker289 View Post
                    nice, like it

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X