Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High school season a bust, but COVID has not stopped my boy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High school season a bust, but COVID has not stopped my boy!

Wanted to see what everyone else is doing??? Wanted to share the roller coaster my son on for past 4 months, and maybe people can share stoeies of how they kept their athlete focused on the PROCESS... because while this COVID hiccup was frustrating. It is absolutely small part of the process.
    • HS sophmore season starts, On a tear. Named one of AZ players of the week
    • 9 games in season Halts COVID
    • We continue to practice wherever we can find an open soccer field/baseball field whatever in hopes of a return
    • Our season officially canceled late March... no return. He majorly bummed out, trying keep spirits up, and still working
    • I will be honest April was tough... but he continue to workout with weights, run a mile a day, and we hit the open field 3-4 times a week
    • PBR Arizona releases 2022 class rankings and he rank 48th in state overall and 4th as 3b. Helped morale a ton!!!
    • Early may... I suggest we make a recruiting video. Do I know how, NO. lol
    • we Google, youtube and some free video editing apps, 1 saturday morning 2 hours with a friend and his kid. 2 hours editing all the video and WALLA!
    • Boy starts making a list of top 10 no doubter school, and another 20 he consider, and another 20 of maybes
    • boy starts google coaching staff each school, send introduction email, and video link.
    • He ends up emailing 70 schools so far that I am tracking for him in a spreadsheet. Gets some immediate feedback, boosting his morale ALOT!
    • So far 15 email contacts, and 3 calls for reference to Coaches... he is in better spirits now.
    • last week we get confirmation that the Showcase here in AZ will happen in July! awesome!!
    • Gets selected to play in AZ 2022 Tp Prospects games for PBR
    • This Tuesday selected for Under Armour Baseball Factory All Region Team WEST!!
    Wow!!! what a ride.... Hope your athletes are well and staying positive!!

video link if ya wanna check it out. I think its pretty OK, for my first video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z_ajssZ5Ik

Congrats. I am glad to read your kid is grinding. My kid has been making the best of this situation. Luckily his school was already doing some online learning so he transitioned well when it went full time and his grades are great (fingers crossed it stays that way). He has been creative with his conditioning primarily following Alex Simone and went back to creatine. His weight went down to 185 but he is a lot leaner with about 15% body fat, wish I could be near that. He emailed schools mainly Ivys but it is still the dark period so no word. It is going be really interesting if there is no ACT or SAT in the fall. He is doing really well, tracking his progress with Blast and pocket radar. I am converting our back yard to his baseball combine. We are putting up a hitting tunnel next week. He is really amped up for the summer and depending on if there is any interest he may do fall ball with his travel team, not really looking forward to trips to FL.

Comment

Congrats Coach, really good "first video", and son's got a really nice swing going on there...the other stuff is good also but, "If you can hit..." usurps any and all of the fielding and throwing stuff for all the players not toeing the rubber. Well done by both of you!!
      In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

I second what Mud said. Nice job with the video and btw, the swing of the kid!!!
        Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Great job and really cool to read. Going through the highs and lows but continuing to grind. He will be a better ballplayer and person because of that!

Are you guys going to try to go back to NTIS this summer?

Comment

I really enjoyed the NTIS experience but my kid is all about getting in front of colleges and prepping for the SAT/ACT (maturity I guess) so we are going to pass this year. Last year was supposed to be his big fun year NTIS/PG Nat'l showcase/PBR etc. but his elbow injury changed his summer plans. His pity party lasted about a day and he refocused his energy to getting stronger. Made a goal of getting to 200 and getting his 60 under 7. He did get to 200 but not under 7 so he refocused in getting leaner in the winter. He tried out for his HS track & field team, he went for the 55M sprint and got recruited for shot put. He had a blast but the workouts kept him around 205. He did well for a first timer and won his district and came in 5th in his region and even participated in varsity events. You can't predict the future but you can be prepared for the changes when they come. Call it God's or the universe's plan but at the end we are truly better people at the other side of it. The kid is now a leaner 185 lbs. He did unofficially break the 7 sec barrier before the shut down. He is looking forward to get it lower. My other kid, a soon to be teenager, has barely been outside and looking to get a PhD in gaming to this family grief. He rode his bike for 2 hours the other day so there is hope...

Comment

Great update T13, sounds like things are coming along nicely. Similar things going on here, son was having a great preseason and early season, we only got 2 games into the regular season before it all came to an abrupt halt. Parks and cages have been closed so its daily lifting and tee work. I've been impressed with his work ethic and strength gains, sadly he isn't as motivated to connect with coaches and schools.
              Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

Thanks so much Guys! Yeah, we were pleased with first attempt at a video, and he is constantly working at his swing. I always throw in little suggestions of stuff I learn, here, and other reading. If he listens cool.. and if not, he figures it out. I just throw baseballs Thanks for encouraging words, Mud, Cannon!
                Colonel... Not sure if we can swing the NTIS this year... they canceled the AZ tryout events in may, and now require us to go to California, which seems odd, cause Cali still has alot of shut downs, and we resume all youth baseball this weekend. Spark... glad your son doing well, we have tourneys here in AZ all summer, if you get tired of the humidity in Florida PTHawaii... sounds like he getting after it, on the College stuff I nudged my son pretty hard on college contacts, told him we home anyway and you will be an incoming Junior so need to get involved in accomplishing your goals of playing in College, we set a goal of 10 a day for a 5 days and see what came back! Then he started to get a little excited when some response happened and has added another 20 or so since then!

He was delt another blow this weekend... Travel team he plays for is a MLB affiliated Scout team, and since the MLB has not returned, they are not opening the facilities for our teams ethier. Bummer
                I know alot of Coaches local, so hopefully can get him on the diamond for some of the big events held here in AZ. If anybody coming in for the USA Championships, of PG World Series or any event and need a player, let me know!

Also for anyone that doesn't have summer baseball going on, we will here in AZ. Usually we only have 3-4 PG events every summer, now they have like 14 scheduled, plus all of our local tourneys like SWWB (Southwest wood bat) and Showcase Baseball, also AZ still scheduled to host the USA Championships in late July.

So good to hear your sons are working their way through the muck!
                Stay Positive!
                Stay Focused!
                Trust the Process!

Comment

great video

Comment

Originally posted by Coach T13 View Post
                    Thanks so much Guys! Yeah, we were pleased with first attempt at a video, and he is constantly working at his swing. I always throw in little suggestions of stuff I learn, here, and other reading. If he listens cool.. and if not, he figures it out. I just throw baseballs Thanks for encouraging words, Mud, Cannon!
                    Colonel... Not sure if we can swing the NTIS this year... they canceled the AZ tryout events in may, and now require us to go to California, which seems odd, cause Cali still has alot of shut downs, and we resume all youth baseball this weekend. Spark... glad your son doing well, we have tourneys here in AZ all summer, if you get tired of the humidity in Florida PTHawaii... sounds like he getting after it, on the College stuff I nudged my son pretty hard on college contacts, told him we home anyway and you will be an incoming Junior so need to get involved in accomplishing your goals of playing in College, we set a goal of 10 a day for a 5 days and see what came back! Then he started to get a little excited when some response happened and has added another 20 or so since then!

He was delt another blow this weekend... Travel team he plays for is a MLB affiliated Scout team, and since the MLB has not returned, they are not opening the facilities for our teams ethier. Bummer
                    I know alot of Coaches local, so hopefully can get him on the diamond for some of the big events held here in AZ. If anybody coming in for the USA Championships, of PG World Series or any event and need a player, let me know!

Also for anyone that doesn't have summer baseball going on, we will here in AZ. Usually we only have 3-4 PG events every summer, now they have like 14 scheduled, plus all of our local tourneys like SWWB (Southwest wood bat) and Showcase Baseball, also AZ still scheduled to host the USA Championships in late July.

So good to hear your sons are working their way through the muck!
                    Stay Positive!
                    Stay Focused!
                    Trust the Process!
                    They did something similar with the South NTIS tryouts also. Usually they have tryouts here in Texas in Dallas and Houston, in Louisiana, and in Oklahoma. They have have now consolidated it all down to 1 round of tryouts and 1 tryout in Dallas and 1 tryout here in Houston. Unfortunately my son has a PBR event on the day of the Houston tryout, so we are going to have to try to drive up to Dallas for that tryout.

I am waiting for PG do something similar in Texas to what you are seeing in Arizona, adding a bunch of events. PG usually hosts a handful of events at colleges through out the state. I spoke with the Baylor assistant coach the other day and he said the Big 12 told them they can't host any events on campus this summer. So PG is going to have to redo a bunch of their Texas schedule using privately owned locations.

Comment

That's Great!! Glad baseball is returning in some fashion for the youth, even if MLB cant figure it out

Comment

Great video T13. Your son is very talented and he is a big boy! It's cool to hear about some of the other kids as well. My son has a lot of similarities to some of their experiences. He was really off to a hot start to the HS season. With only 34 AB before they shut the season down, obviously the stats don't mean much, but he was batting .500 and really seeing and barreling the ball well.

I am just as disappointed as everyone else here that the season ended the way it did, but like the rest of you, I am happy to see that my son has worked hard to make the best of a bad situation. Things happen for a reason, and I could never have foreseen that as all of the events surrounding the Coronavirus situation unfolded, the greatest opportunity he has ever had would fall in his lap.

2 summers ago, my sons and I along with a few friends, spent a great deal of time and effort building a batting cage at my house. Even before the Coronavirus I have said it's the best money I ever spent. I also set up a very modest weightlifting station in the garage - basically just a squat rack and a bench and a bunch of free weights. When everything shut down, including all of the gyms, local parks, and hitting facilities, I all of a sudden had facilities that were hard to get access to anywhere else.

My son has been taking hitting lessons from a guy for the past 6 months. He has definitely helped my son improve and is just a great guy in general. Baseball instruction is not a side gig for him, it's how he makes his living. When everything shut down, he saw his livelihood threatened. I told him if he wanted to bring some of the people he worked with to my house and use my cage he was welcome to. He thankfully accepted, took care of adding me to his insurance policy, and started giving lessons at my house. I had no clue who he worked with at the time, but for the last 3 months there has been a steady stream of high school, college, (JuCos through Power 5s) and Minor League players working in my cage and garage. There is even one player with 8 years in the MLB who has thrown several bullpens here. My sons and a few of their friends have seen first hand the preparation, work ethic, and sheer effort these guys bring to everything they do. My son has pounded the weights with a player who he has watched pitch 95mph in our cage and is hoping to be drafted. He's taken infield with a SS from a D 2 college. He's sat next to Minor League players and talked about the mental approach at the plate while they waited their turns to hit. He thought he was giving 100% before, but he has seen first hand that the guys who really take it to the next level are working at an intensity level he had not previously tapped into.

Some of these guys have been coming to my house on a weekly basis for several months now. My kids have become friends with some of them. The guy who can throw 95 doesn't even come with the guy who gives lessons anymore. He texts my 16yo to check his schedule and they get together and lift. I walked through the living room a few nights ago and my 12yo was playing Fortnite with the D2 SS!! Gyms and batting cages will reopen, and maybe not all, but most of these guys will stop coming to my house. But it has been a neat time in our lives, and the experiences my kids have had will help them be the best they can be.

Comment

Originally posted by workinprogress View Post
                          Great video T13. Your son is very talented and he is a big boy! It's cool to hear about some of the other kids as well. My son has a lot of similarities to some of their experiences. He was really off to a hot start to the HS season. With only 34 AB before they shut the season down, obviously the stats don't mean much, but he was batting .500 and really seeing and barreling the ball well.

I am just as disappointed as everyone else here that the season ended the way it did, but like the rest of you, I am happy to see that my son has worked hard to make the best of a bad situation. Things happen for a reason, and I could never have foreseen that as all of the events surrounding the Coronavirus situation unfolded, the greatest opportunity he has ever had would fall in his lap.

2 summers ago, my sons and I along with a few friends, spent a great deal of time and effort building a batting cage at my house. Even before the Coronavirus I have said it's the best money I ever spent. I also set up a very modest weightlifting station in the garage - basically just a squat rack and a bench and a bunch of free weights. When everything shut down, including all of the gyms, local parks, and hitting facilities, I all of a sudden had facilities that were hard to get access to anywhere else.

My son has been taking hitting lessons from a guy for the past 6 months. He has definitely helped my son improve and is just a great guy in general. Baseball instruction is not a side gig for him, it's how he makes his living. When everything shut down, he saw his livelihood threatened. I told him if he wanted to bring some of the people he worked with to my house and use my cage he was welcome to. He thankfully accepted, took care of adding me to his insurance policy, and started giving lessons at my house. I had no clue who he worked with at the time, but for the last 3 months there has been a steady stream of high school, college, (JuCos through Power 5s) and Minor League players working in my cage and garage. There is even one player with 8 years in the MLB who has thrown several bullpens here. My sons and a few of their friends have seen first hand the preparation, work ethic, and sheer effort these guys bring to everything they do. My son has pounded the weights with a player who he has watched pitch 95mph in our cage and is hoping to be drafted. He's taken infield with a SS from a D 2 college. He's sat next to Minor League players and talked about the mental approach at the plate while they waited their turns to hit. He thought he was giving 100% before, but he has seen first hand that the guys who really take it to the next level are working at an intensity level he had not previously tapped into.

Some of these guys have been coming to my house on a weekly basis for several months now. My kids have become friends with some of them. The guy who can throw 95 doesn't even come with the guy who gives lessons anymore. He texts my 16yo to check his schedule and they get together and lift. I walked through the living room a few nights ago and my 12yo was playing Fortnite with the D2 SS!! Gyms and batting cages will reopen, and maybe not all, but most of these guys will stop coming to my house. But it has been a neat time in our lives, and the experiences my kids have had will help them be the best they can be.
                          That is a great story! That is priceless experience, especially right now. So cool!

Comment

Great Post Work!!! Your example of kindness and love for the game has come back to you and your family 10 fold. Sounds like you offering your cage helped alot of people, that is AWESOME!!
                            So glad your son is holding the path, it is a PROCESS. Sound like he was off to one hell of a good season!
                            Next Year will be, bigger, faster, stronger for the ones that want it!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X