pinning bat to back shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinning bat to back shoulder

I am having a hard time keeping my bat from "drifting or even casting out" during my initial hip and shoulder rotation when starting my swing. Is it acceptable to just keep the barrel of the bat pinned to the side of my back shoulder until my bat is in the zone? I would not "wrap" the barrel so it's pointing back to the pitcher or anything, I just want to know if it's a bat habit to develop if I just let it stay connected to my shoulder throughout my tilt?

What you are describing is a drill (and kind of a hitting philosophy around it) that Mike Epstein promoted some years ago which he called the "Deltoid Drill" (click for an old clip of his son Jake demoing it) ...which for a drill to reinforce staying tight to the ball - not flying open or "casting out" as you're describing you're doing - is OK, but is not what you'll ever see high level (HL) hitters doing in their swings.

So you'll eventually have to learn to transition from the "dead hands" the drill kind of facilitates, to free them up in order to start allowing them to create the correct bat/barrel path of getting the barrel "behind and through" the ball...

....and not so much just "to and though" it as the drill creates with the arms/hands more or less just pushing the bat off of the rear shoulder/delt to the ball.

Hope that answers your question(s).

In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Thanks for the info, and thanks for that link. I watched the video, it's pretty informative and makes sense. I think I am going to try incorporating the "pinning" for a few games and hopefully it leads to more success and getting on plane with the pitch.

Comment

Cool, good luck, and keep us posted with your progress.
        In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
          What you are describing is a drill (and kind of a hitting philosophy around it) that Mike Epstein promoted some years ago which he called the "Deltoid Drill" (click for an old clip of his son Jake demoing it) ...which for a drill to reinforce staying tight to the ball - not flying open or "casting out" as you're describing you're doing - is OK, but is not what you'll ever see high level (HL) hitters doing in their swings.

So you'll eventually have to learn to transition from the "dead hands" the drill kind of facilitates, to free them up in order to start allowing them to create the correct bat/barrel path of getting the barrel "behind and through" the ball...

....and not so much just "to and though" it as the drill creates with the arms/hands more or less just pushing the bat off of the rear shoulder/delt to the ball.

Hope that answers your question(s).
          Marc, to add to this, I teach this as a part of swing development. Long ago, Scott Sarginson used to talk about a "fall back swing." This was a part of that development and my kid used it a lot. From this most basic position, try lifting your hands up and placing the barrel of the bat at what would look like a 45 degree angle past your ear. Then, add in a timing mechanism like a slight tip of the barrel head toward the pitcher giving you a running start. If you pay attention to detail, you'll have a decent swing.
          Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

I agree with mud and cb. For me, it depends on what ur swing looks like now. If the bat gets away from ur body and u cast and swing around ur body, it can be good to make keeping the hands in and inside more normal. If u don't have that problem, if may just cause ur hands to be more passive and reduce ur swing effectiveness. A lot of these cues and drills really depend on what issue a swing has, and the batter is trying to alter.
            Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X