1st T-ball swing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pattar View Post

Yeah he is 5. His LH swing is about a year behind his RH swing...at least in terms of results. Within the last year or so he decided it was fun to hit LH so why not..he is only 5. He actually does everything (eat,write,etc) but play sports (e.g. throw,hit, shoot a basketball) LH.
    Mine is/was a similar story. When my dad started me off hitting at a young age, he too threw me on the right side of the plate, and I hit for my first two years of LL right-handed...although I did everything else left-handed.

It was my 2nd year coach who suggested I try turning around, and hitting from the left side. Not an easy transition, but by my 3rd year of play, I became more comfortable with my LHed swing, and hit from that side predominantly from that time forward.

But it was also fun, and advantageous at times to switch back over to the right-side of the plate again, and be able to swing it almost as well when need be.

I like both swings, and yes, as he becomes more comfortable with his lefty swing, I think you'll see him catch up to, and pass his RHed efforts...but still have that righty "secret weapon" in his back pocket when it's called for.
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
      Mine is/was a similar story. When my dad started me off hitting at a young age, he too threw me on the right side of the plate, and I hit for my first two years of LL right-handed...although I did everything else left-handed.
      Yeah...I blame Marcela

Comment

Yeah he is 5. His LH swing is about a year behind his RH swing...at least in terms of results. Within the last year or so he decided it was fun to hit LH so why not..he is only 5. He actually does everything (eat,write,etc) but play sports (e.g. throw,hit, shoot a basketball) LH.
        He swings well right handed. Left handed it looks like the bat might be swinging him. He looks much more comfortable from the right side. But there’s a benefit swinging from the left side. He swings better from both sides than most kids his age.

Comment

I think he saw his sister hit/throw/shoot RH when he was little and just copied her tbh. My youngest, who is 2, is all LH. I don't coach the 5 YO other than to tell him to swing hard..lol. I kind of wish that I had just stuck with that for my 11 YO daughter..
          My daughter is the oldest. I didn’t know anything about softball hitting. She’s fast and bats left. Before anyone could teach her to slap and run I had her driving the ball. Now driving the ball is how most softball players are taught. It’s amazing how moving the pitching rubber back three feet changed the game.

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post

He swings well right handed. Left handed it looks like the bat might be swinging him. He looks much more comfortable from the right side. But there’s a benefit swinging from the left side. He swings better from both sides than most kids his age.
            Yeah the bat is probably a bit big for him LH. . I have been front tossing to him from the RH for 3+ years but only the last year or so LH so he has some catching up to do from that side.The t-ball bat he had been using from both sides would probably still be better for him from the left side but I doubt he would want to go back to it after hitting with the Bam Bam bat he is using now. He hits with wood sometimes too
            Last edited by pattar; 01-19-2021, 02:51 PM.

Comment

This was his third game but my wife was at my daughter's softball games the first two games so this is the first video we got of him in coach pitch. Cannot really see the second swing but the wife got a great view of me pitching ...lol

Comment

He has had a bunch of games rained out recently but he gets his fix at home. Great catch by Mom to score us a run (if we catch it in the air or on the ground we get a run) but we still lost...

Comment

Pattar.jpg

Li'l bro in the on deck circle, or is he the 3rd base coach?..Hope he's wearing a helmet!!
                  Last edited by Al_Oha; 05-27-2021, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Oha View Post
                    Pattar.jpg

Li'l bro in the on deck circle, or is he the 3rd base coach?..Hope he's wearing a helmet!!
                    He plays for an "inning" or so and then decides to try and be a pain and get in the way sometimes..we warn him but they are only wiffles..he would live. Plus when I see him down the third base line I shake off the catcher if the pitch isn't called outside

Comment

Two swings from his league's All Star game. LH swing is still behind but it is getting there.

Comment

Robert watching some old guy pitch in our last regular season game. We didn't win any games but a few of the kids did show some pretty good improvement and most seemed to have a good time.

1000x1332.jpeg
                        Last edited by pattar; 06-17-2021, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Congrats- looks like a fun time! Hope Robert enjoyed it!

My 6 year old daughter played softball this year, and it was great to go back to the t-ball / coach pitch level having experienced a bit of what comes after. The games are so charming; the kids improve rapidly; and I get another chance to see how team sports teaches positive life skills now that I am less focused on winning and whether my kid is "talented".

Comment

Originally posted by baseabllmom View Post
                            Congrats- looks like a fun time! Hope Robert enjoyed it!

My 6 year old daughter played softball this year, and it was great to go back to the t-ball / coach pitch level having experienced a bit of what comes after. The games are so charming; the kids improve rapidly; and I get another chance to see how team sports teaches positive life skills now that I am less focused on winning and whether my kid is "talented".
                            Yes, I have an 11 YO girl who plays Travel Ball so I have seen the older side a bit. I will say though, that most of the other teams in the league were pretty focused on winning...LOL!!

Comment

First two swings of his spring coach pitch season. He turned 7 in Feb.

I'll throw in a highlight from his last basketball game of the year for good measure..lol

Comment

Lefty swing from tonight

Last edited by pattar; 05-10-2022, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X