Is the "Stride" / "Move Forward" / Timing Controlled by the front hip/Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the "Stride" / "Move Forward" / Timing Controlled by the front hip/Leg

I was watching some videos and playing around with a leg lift.. It feels like From the top of my leg lift on the way down/forward I can control my "timing" by turning my front leg inward...

On the other hand if I turn by back hip inward From the top of my leg lift i start to drift forward.. Which "Feel" is correct?

Screenshot_2020-10-28 Mike Trout Slow Motion Home Run Baseball Swing Hitting Mechanics - YouTube.pngScreenshot_2020-10-28 Mike Trout Slow Motion Home Run Baseball Swing Hitting Mechanics - YouTube(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-10-28 Joey Gallo at bat Rangers vs Astros 7 29 18 - YouTube.pngScreenshot_2020-10-28 Joey Gallo at bat Rangers vs Astros 7 29 18 - YouTube(1).png

"Stride with your rear leg."
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
      "Stride with your rear leg."
      Turning my front leg in builds tension in my back leg and it helps me come down slowly with the back leg, At least thats what I feel. If I lift my leg and go forward with my back leg I feel no tension.

Comment

The use of the lead leg to assist the rear leg is based on a hitter's personal preference or "style". Turning the front leg in is one of them, and if it works for you that's perfect...but not a mandatory teach to all hitters. The take away should be that the rear leg is in control, and not striding forward with the lead leg as some still teach. At least IMO anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
          The use of the lead leg to assist the rear leg is based on a hitter's personal preference or "style". Turning the front leg in is one of them, and if it works for you that's perfect...but not a mandatory teach to all hitters. The take away should be that the rear leg is in control, and not striding forward with the lead leg as some still teach. At least IMO anyway.
          Got it! It feels right too me and my terminology might be wrong. I appreciate your input!

Comment

Your terminology is just fine, and well described. But what I'd like you to take a look at the two examples you posted. While both are turning in their lead leg, look how Trout keeps his shoulders relatively straight or square to the plate for the most part...while Gallo turns his shoulders in quite a bit more relative to the plate and/or pitcher. This is also a personal "style" of each hitter, and each works for them respectively.

But with some younger hitters, when the teach is to just turn the front leg in...some will do the Trout move, which in most younger hitter is preferable...while others will automatically do the Gallo move with it, and many of those will then pull off the ball as the then turn the hips and shoulder forward at the same time, while Gallo will turn his hips forward before his shoulders, and thus leave them and the barrel in the zone longer, and not pull off of the ball as the developing hitter will (unless or until they learn to turn the hips ahead of the shoulders, which is quite a difficult learn for many younger hitters).

Comment

Front leg control of striding makes a hitter susceptible to junk, IME.

Comment

Forward by coil:

Comment

How to do this:
                  - Setup with as much Pigeon-toe as you can handle
                  - Really get into the ground with inside of the back foot along the padding of the big toe. Really feel the inward pressure
                  - Now, use your low back, your mid back and most importantly your scap to resist any inward pressure. Feel like your hip is pulling around.
                  - Now Drive forward while trying to never give up the resistance on the back side.
                  - You must not slide the hips or shift the weight forward. You want to feel as if your weight is staying stacked over the back side during the stride.

Do this until your head starts to lower automagically. The extreme Pigeon Toe will not let you stride far before the forward momentum is arrested. Do this over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by rdbass View Post
                    Forward by coil:
                    Is Hamilton going forward to meet the ball? if that makes sense.. Is he moving forward while the ball is in the air?

Comment

Originally posted by syidewayz View Post
                      Is he moving forward while the ball is in the air?
                      Of course. The front foot MUST be down when the ball is halfway. Pitch from release to contact is 0.400 sec, and the 'swing' from toe touch to contact is 0.200 sec.

Therefore, the stride move is from roughly release to halfway. (the ball is in the air, and you are on one leg)

Originally posted by syidewayz View Post
                      1)It feels like From the top of my leg lift on the way down/forward I can control my "timing" by turning my front leg inward...

On the other hand if I turn by back hip inward From the top of my leg lift i start to drift forward.. Which "Feel" is correct?
                      1) Keeping the front knee from rolling over is key, so keep doing this. (from toe touch to heel drop, both knees roll over - but not before)

2) The back hip should already be coiled inward at this point, that is why you drift
                      Last edited by songtitle; 11-03-2020, 03:35 AM.
                      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post

Of course. The front foot MUST be down when the ball is halfway. Pitch from release to contact is 0.400 sec, and the 'swing' from toe touch to contact is 0.200 sec.

Therefore, the stride move is from roughly release to halfway. (the ball is in the air, and you are on one leg)

1) Keeping the front knee from rolling over is key, so keep doing this. (from toe touch to heel drop, both knees roll over - but not before)

2) The back hip should already be coiled inward at this point, that is why you drift
                        So i notice when players take side or front toss they kind of coil in and wait , So against live pitching you pretty much cheat and start forward early?? Joc pederson comes to mind

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                          Can you elaborate on keeping the front knee from rolling over? Do you mean keep it inward/coiled/ hold as I move forward?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X