Batting stances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batting stances

Do any of you guys got pictures or clips of past players at the bat?

Im interested in seeeing their batting stances. I want to compare them to mines. Perferably Jimmie Foxx or Lou Gehrig.
    "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Originally posted by Myankee4life

Im interested in seeeing their batting stances. I want to compare them to mines. Perferably Jimmie Foxx or Lou Gehrig.
    Most of the pictures you can find online, will be after they've already swung. And most of the ones you find of their stances, are just poses; not their actual game stance.

Like these ones for instance. Gehrig's hands started down by his left armpit, then he brought them back and up.
    Attached Files

Comment

I looked around.... Couldn't find many. The problem was that the cameras were so slow and had to be positioned in play when the boys were actually swinging. What we see online are usually posed swings. ... I am not sure how well they represent the actual stance.
      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

The Iron Horse at bat:
        Attached Files

Comment

The stance is just an individual's style and comfort position, it has very little to do with their swing. Almost all hitters swing from the same launch position (not stance position) and with the same movements from the launch position. The stance is something that is not part of launching or swinging the bat. It's what you do while you're waiting for the pitcher to windup, you get out of the stance and into the launch position when the pitcher has released the ball, then you swing. You don't swing from the stance position.

Comment

Originally posted by pgibbons
            The Iron Horse at bat:
            Yeah, there are a ton of poses out there. In that second one, he's choking up, lol. Definately not a game AB.

Comment

Originally posted by jbooth
              The stance is just an individual's style and comfort position, it has very little to do with their swing. Almost all hitters swing from the same launch position (not stance position) and with the same movements from the launch position. The stance is something that is not part of launching or swinging the bat. It's what you do while you're waiting for the pitcher to windup, you get out of the stance and into the launch position when the pitcher has released the ball, then you swing. You don't swing from the stance position.
              You're dead on Jbooth. He probably knew that though, just wanted to compare for Shits and giggles. Or maybe he does have grand delusions of turning himself into Gehrig or Foxx based on a stance. Nah, I'll give MyYankee more credit than that.

Comment

LOL thanks for your faith Sultan.

I love that Gehrig picture...were did you get it from. Im curious to see how they were at the plate...dont know why...just curious....since there's little pictures of them actually in their stances.
                "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

Originally posted by pgibbons
                  The Iron Horse at bat:

Thanks for the pics.

Comment

LOL thanks for your faith Sultan.

I love that Gehrig picture...were did you get it from. Im curious to see how they were at the plate...dont know why...just curious....since there's little pictures of them actually in their stances.
                    No prob. There's plenty more pics if you want me to post them. If you want some actual footage, you should get a VHS called "Baseball Dynasties". Here's a place to order it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...85434?n=404272

It's got footage of Ruth, Gehrig, and several other players. At least two full Gehrig swings, and him tearing around the bases.

As expected, he had a hitch in his swing similar to Babe. Seems that Gehrig got a bit lower with his legs though, and took a more level swing. Pretty much agrees with the historical consensus that he was more of a line drive home run hitter than Ruth was.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ok thanks...I'll be sure to look into that.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X