BBCOR Bat Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBCOR Bat Recommendation

I have read through some threads about this topic, but was hoping that I could get some advice as it pertains to my kid. My son, who just turned 13 years old, is about 5' 8" and weighs in at 100 pounds. He is a healthy and athletic kid who plays multiple sports; he is just tall and skinny. He loves baseball, but thus far has only ever played Little League. His bat from last season is a 30" Louisville Slugger 2018 Select 718 (-10) USA Baseball bat that weighs 20 ounces.

This season, he will be playing on his Jr. High team, which requires the kids to swing a BBCOR bat. As I mentioned, he has only played casually (no tournament and no travel ball), so the move up to BBCOR caught me off guard; his transition will be directly from a USA bat to a BBCOR one. I ordered him a 29" Louisville Slugger 2020 Solo (-3) BBCOR bat that weighs 26 ounces. Is that too short? The idea is that between his weight and lack of strength, he needs the lightest bat possible to keep his bat speed from plummeting. I am okay with him only getting one season out of it and am happy to get him the next size up as soon as needed.

Also, he'll be playing in a transitional league outside of school for kids 13-15 that allows both USA bats and BBCOR bats. If he is required to use the BBCOR for his school team, should he stick with that for the other league, or should he switch back and forth between bats?

Congrats to your son on making the middle school team.

My son is also light weight and played mostly rec level ball before making the middle school team last year. He used that bat last year and had success with it. He did have more trouble than before with contacts that went off the end. That was more associated with trouble dragging the bat then having a bat that was too short. We passed it on to some other smaller kids making the jump to bbcor this year.

Kids are able to adjust to the weight of the bat. It's not as scary as it seems. The 60 ft distance to the pitching mound helps as well. Swinging the heavier bat actually made learning to incorporate the lower half and the core easier.

One benefit from growing into middle school ball from little league was the access to reps. School ball practices so much more. My son gets 3 buckets worth of swings at each practice. So that helps adjust to the heavier bat.

He did switch to a longer bat this year with a bigger sweet spot and more pop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugsy23 View Post
      I have read through some threads about this topic, but was hoping that I could get some advice as it pertains to my kid. My son, who just turned 13 years old, is about 5' 8" and weighs in at 100 pounds. He is a healthy and athletic kid who plays multiple sports; he is just tall and skinny. He loves baseball, but thus far has only ever played Little League. His bat from last season is a 30" Louisville Slugger 2018 Select 718 (-10) USA Baseball bat that weighs 20 ounces.

This season, he will be playing on his Jr. High team, which requires the kids to swing a BBCOR bat. As I mentioned, he has only played casually (no tournament and no travel ball), so the move up to BBCOR caught me off guard; his transition will be directly from a USA bat to a BBCOR one. I ordered him a 29" Louisville Slugger 2020 Solo (-3) BBCOR bat that weighs 26 ounces. Is that too short? The idea is that between his weight and lack of strength, he needs the lightest bat possible to keep his bat speed from plummeting. I am okay with him only getting one season out of it and am happy to get him the next size up as soon as needed.

Also, he'll be playing in a transitional league outside of school for kids 13-15 that allows both USA bats and BBCOR bats. If he is required to use the BBCOR for his school team, should he stick with that for the other league, or should he switch back and forth between bats?
      The Slugger Solo is a very light swinging bat. I'd be concerned that a 29" would not have enough mass to drive balls consistently to the outfield in order to get hits. You may want to try the 30" version of that bat and then make a decision.

I'd stick with the BBCOR you choose and not switch back and forth.

Comment

Go to a dicks with hit trax. Try the 29 to 31 inch bbcor and compare the measurables and how he feels about control.

Comment

He's 5'8" lanky 100lbs? I wouldn't go 29. I'd at least be in the 30/31 length for him. As others have said, he will adjust. In MS, he's not going to see a ton of absolute gas throwers. You'll see that in travel ball more than school ball. My son was 5'5-6" inches this time last year and he was swinging a 2017 Easton Mako Beast since he was in 6th grade through last year. He finally grew to 5'10" and I just got him a 2021 Voodoo One 33". If you are really concerned about his swing, drag, etc. Just stick with either the Solo or the Voodoo One because of their low MOI and light feeling swing. Avoid 29" unless you just have a bunch of money to spend. Comparing the Solo to the Voodoo One is where you're really going to have to do your homework to find the size sweet spot, feel, and player's perception. Good luck!

Comment

You may already know this, but just in case, I found the MOI measurements from Bat Digest very helpful when looking at bats:

https://www.batdigest.com/definitive...-weight-guide/

(need to give them your email address to view, but imo it's worth it)

Comment

Originally posted by dystopia View Post
              You may already know this, but just in case, I found the MOI measurements from Bat Digest very helpful when looking at bats:

https://www.batdigest.com/definitive...-weight-guide/

(need to give them your email address to view, but imo it's worth it)
              PW protected

Comment

I agree that 29 is too short. If you're not sure, and if you want to go used to save money, 2018 Easton Ghost X (comes in 30/27, 31/28) is a great 2 piece composite. It feels as light swinging as a Solo, but a 100 lb. player will hit the Ghost X with more authority. The sweet spot is bigger and there's no vibration. It has been my experience that smaller/lighter kids benefit from using a light swinging composite. If you go 31/28, a 2015 Easton Mako is also very light swinging. Ebay and Sidelineswap.com is where I buy used bats. Ask questions of the seller and ask for more pictures if needed. If you're patient, you can find these bats for around $100.

As for switching from USA to BBCOR, I'd stick to BBCOR. My son hit better with a 30/27 BBCOR at 5'2" and under 90 lbs. than the USA bats.

It would help if he could start swinging bbcor (off a tee maybe?) asap to get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamzg5 View Post

PW protected
                  Yeah, unfortunately you have to signup with an email address to view it, then they'll email you the password (it was right away). I just used one of my secondary email addresses for such occasions.

Comment

I have the batdigest swing weight charts. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the list though... They have the 2021 Meta 33/30 and the 2021 Solo 31/28 at the exact same swing weight. There are others that seemed off as well. Probably data was entered incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper21 View Post
                      I have the batdigest swing weight charts. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the list though... They have the 2021 Meta 33/30 and the 2021 Solo 31/28 at the exact same swing weight. There are others that seemed off as well. Probably data was entered incorrectly.
                      Interesting. That does look weird.

According to this page, you wouldn't expect the same MOIs for the two:
                      https://betterbaseball.com/blog/the-...21-bbcor-bats-

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X