Texas Canes 13U Elite Disqualified for Cheating at PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Canes 13U Elite Disqualified for Cheating at PG

Heard the Texas Canes 13u team was caught using an illegal pitcher at a big Perfect Game tournament in Las Vegas this weekend. They were in the semi and brought a player from another team in at the last minute to pitch. Someone saw the player suiting up in the parking lot and walked in just to pitch well after the game had been started. The player in question was not in the roster for the 13u team. The Canes were forfeited and didn't get to the championship game.

I would like to know if this type of behavior is common at these big youth events?

Checked perfect game, the kid only threw 2 pitches for them. Of course it’s a 14 yo hold back that’s 13u eligible.

On another note, there are a lot players from all over the country flew in, probably everything paid for.
    Last edited by switchhitter; 04-04-2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I think his age/grade was legal but the problem was he had already played for another team.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan247 View Post
        I think his age/grade was legal but the problem was he had already played for another team.
        Yes I know age is not an issue here. I am just making a general statement that a lot of those teams have 14yo playing 13u and 13 yo playing 12u. This grade exemption thing is out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by switchhitter View Post

Yes I know age is not an issue here. I am just making a general statement that a lot of those teams have 14yo playing 13u and 13 yo playing 12u. This grade exemption thing is out of control.

I agree, the purpose of the rule was to benefit players who happened to be older in lower grades. It was so they could play with their grad year peers. The problem is, like with anything in youth baseball, the parents/coaches exploit the rule to try win more games.

Have you seen anyone get caught using illegal pitchers/players at tournaments? I'm starting to think if the Canes (number 1 team in the country) got caught this time, it might not be the first time they committed the infraction.

Comment

Cutoff for fastpitch softball is Jan. 1 so it is pretty common to have 13 YO playing 12U, etc.It makes for some fairly comical size disparities at the 12U level since females tend to mature quicker.
            Last edited by pattar; 04-05-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pattar View Post

Cutoff for fastpitch softball is Jan. 1 so it is pretty common to have 13 YO playing 12U, etc.It makes for some fairly comical size disparities at the 12U level since females tend to mature quicker.
              In baseball some 13 yo would turn 14 between of May 1 to August 1, and they can still play 50/70 against kids just turned 12 due to the grade exemption rule. the top of those kids throw 80+ and hit over 300 fence.

Comment

In baseball some 13 yo would turn 14 between of May 1 to August 1, and they can still play 50/70 against kids just turned 12 due to the grade exemption rule. the top of those kids throw 80+ and hit over 300 fence.
                Right in both cases (fastpitch and baseball) the older kid will often have a physical advantage because of their size. That said when everybody physically matures and playing on the big diamond the wheat will get separated from the chaff...As the long the coach/parent does a good job of making a kid understand what is important at the younger ages (e.g. development) I don't really see it being a huge deal...

Comment

It seems to me like some kid will always get hosed in youth sports. My kid has an April birthday so yeah he'll be behind till post puberty. Even if you grouped kids by grade, the summer birthdays would always be in no mans land and inevitably they'd all play down a grade.

Separately isn't kind of crazy to rank 13 year olds on a national scale? Even with the reach of travel ball I can't imagine is still captures a large percentage of the overall talent in the country. I have to imagine the bulk of the kids who eventually play beyond HS never even play on a travel team because they are too busy dominating 3 other sports when they're in elementary and middle school.

Or am I wrong and the top travel programs in CA/Tx/FL etc..really are all loaded with future top HS talent?

Lastly when did travel ball become so prevalent? When I was a kid back in the early middle ages..IE the late 80's, the only travel programs I was aware of in Los Angeles were some club soccer teams. I knew my town's little league program was pretty good, and we always heard stories about how amazing all the other kids were out in the Valley (Encino, Van Nuys) but nobody was joining year round teams. At least not that I was aware of. Then I went to HS, college, got a job, and years later I wake up and the landscape changed.

I'm guessing the rise of club/travel was a slow boil over the years?

Comment

Originally posted by dcunited View Post
                    It seems to me like some kid will always get hosed in youth sports. My kid has an April birthday so yeah he'll be behind till post puberty. Even if you grouped kids by grade, the summer birthdays would always be in no mans land and inevitably they'd all play down a grade.

Separately isn't kind of crazy to rank 13 year olds on a national scale? Even with the reach of travel ball I can't imagine is still captures a large percentage of the overall talent in the country. I have to imagine the bulk of the kids who eventually play beyond HS never even play on a travel team because they are too busy dominating 3 other sports when they're in elementary and middle school.

Or am I wrong and the top travel programs in CA/Tx/FL etc..really are all loaded with future top HS talent?

Lastly when did travel ball become so prevalent? When I was a kid back in the early middle ages..IE the late 80's, the only travel programs I was aware of in Los Angeles were some club soccer teams. I knew my town's little league program was pretty good, and we always heard stories about how amazing all the other kids were out in the Valley (Encino, Van Nuys) but nobody was joining year round teams. At least not that I was aware of. Then I went to HS, college, got a job, and years later I wake up and the landscape changed.

I'm guessing the rise of club/travel was a slow boil over the years?

A LOT has changed since the times you are talking about This article is a bit of a read but will provide some insight into what the youth baseball scene is like these days.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...159060549.html

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out! Even if it may disturb me.

Comment

A LOT has changed since the times you are talking about This article is a bit of a read but will provide some insight into what the youth baseball scene is like these days.

i'm pretty sure that the guy profiled in this story is affiliated or runs the organization mentioned in the OP. (texas canes)

Comment

I don't see the issue at 13/14 with the age rule. If your kid is younger, at some point he needs to skip 13 or 14U to get on grade if they want to play college.

Comment

I wouldn’t hate the coach for winning. I would criticize him for lacking perspective coaching preteens. His obsessiveness and that he took steroids to get ahead would be all I need to know to keep my kids far from this guy. The man has no boundaries.

I coached against a guy like this in 13u. At the end of the season some of the parents approached about having their kids play for me the following year. I politely turned them down. My players had to live close enough to attend mid week practices to become better players. I never asked my players if they wanted to become college or pro players. I just asked for commitment to the team and 100% effort. All but one from 13u to 16u played some level of college ball. The one that didn’t chose college basketball. He could have played baseball.

Comment

For those of you who are interested in the coach of this team. Here is the link to a podcast where they interview him. Hopefully it is ok to share this here.
                              https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000500519108

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X