Does that make it right??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does that make it right??

My son's coach insists that the 'hands to the ball' method is the best method for my son. He also insists that the bat should be traveling at a downward 'chopping' motion at contact. When I questioned this, based on what I've been reading here about a rotational swing, he wasn't very impressed. He bases his information on a batting instructor by the name of Jeff Garber (Kansas City Royals) who lives in our area. According to the coach, Garber is a highly regarded hitting instructor and couldn't possibly be wrong...any comments?

Please help. Based on what I've been reading here, a rotational type of swing seems to make the most sense. Afterall, I want my son to learn the 'best' way.

Originally posted by Sonny
    My son's coach insists that the 'hands to the ball' method is the best method for my son. He also insists that the bat should be traveling at a downward 'chopping' motion at contact. When I questioned this, based on what I've been reading here about a rotational swing, he wasn't very impressed. He bases his information on a batting instructor by the name of Jeff Garber (Kansas City Royals) who lives in our area. According to the coach, Garber is a highly regarded hitting instructor and couldn't possibly be wrong...any comments?

Please help. Based on what I've been reading here, a rotational type of swing seems to make the most sense. Afterall, I want my son to learn the 'best' way.
    Ask him to show you a video clip of a successful (high avg, reasonable power), MLB player, who swings as he teaches. Then show him video of Bonds, Jeter, A-Rod, Manny R, and just about anybody else you want, and ask him if he TRULY sees or believes that they swing down, and/or take their hands to the ball, or keep the bathead above the ball. I'm still trying to find an MLB player who swings down. Let me know if this guy finds one, I want to see the swing.

Comment

Many high level college coaches giving a presentation show the approach to the ball in a position where the barrel is way above the hands.

They often show a kid how to hit the ball and it looks like a tomahawk pass at it.

Maybe someone in the loop can explain that better than me.

As for you and your sons coaching situation. It is gonna be a long year. Try some Bud -Lite

Comment

I agree with jbooth, here's a website that has video of MLB swings, you can show your son's coach.

http://www.youthbaseballcoaching.com/swings.html

The thing I can't figure out - How do MLB players learn a high-level rotational swing with so many coaches at all levels preaching the linear-hitting gospel?
        Last edited by pgibbons; 02-23-2006, 04:27 PM.

Comment

It is gonna be a long year. Try some Bud -Lite

I would start with ICE HOUSE and adjust up from there.lol.poor guy.h

Comment

swinging down

Originally posted by jbooth
            Ask him to show you a video clip of a successful (high avg, reasonable power), MLB player, who swings as he teaches. Then show him video of Bonds, Jeter, A-Rod, Manny R, and just about anybody else you want, and ask him if he TRULY sees or believes that they swing down, and/or take their hands to the ball, or keep the bathead above the ball. I'm still trying to find an MLB player who swings down. Let me know if this guy finds one, I want to see the swing.
            Jim, totally agree. If one is to make a difference, (regarding "traditional" teaching) then you have to have the courage to step out. This is not easy.

A young fella that plays for the High School my daughter goes to, I have been working with for about 2 months. He's been making some good progress.
            Very athletic, very quick. He came over last Fri. all frustrated. Said the coach had him hitting off a tee. He went on to tell me that the goal of hitting off the tee was to hit the ball down and have it hit the ground no more than 6 ft out in front.

I told him to remain respectful, (say, "O.K. I'll try) and to try and hit the ball the way he has been doing in my backyard. Working on hitting good line drives.

Since then I e-mailed a clip of Manny to the coach with a swing path outlined. Thanks Siggy.

My long story short is, get involved. Dare to make a difference in these young kids' swings.

Anyone that takes pride in learning AND putting the best hitters out there will be open to what you say. Therein lies the potential problem.
            I do wish you the best and a little conversation here and there with the coach will add up to making a difference.
            Just some ideas.
            Respectfully,
            LClifton

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny

People who take money to teach kids things that even a cursory glance at video of elite hitters would disprove surely have a special place reserved for them in baseball hell.

Comment

I've played this game a long time and have been to the highest level. I like you have learn alot on this forum. Do not try and rationalize this guy's way of thinking, or Jeff Garbers for that matter. Don't be bullied into the thinking that since he played, he knows. He most likely took a swing that looks nothing like he is teaching.

Ask for him to explain how you expect to be successful when you are swinging like this. If he looks at a swing of Manny, A-Rod, Bonds, ect. ect. and says that they are swing or choping the ball, turn and run.

The yellow line is the flight path of the ball and the red line is your bat path. You have a split second chance of making decent contact. Other than that, its a pop up or a ground ball. The game is already hard enough, don't make it any harder.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
                  I've played this game a long time and have been to the highest level. I like you have learn alot on this forum. Do not try and rationalize this guy's way of thinking, or Jeff Garbers for that matter. Don't be bullied into the thinking that since he played, he knows. He most likely took a swing that looks nothing like he is teaching.

Ask for him to explain how you expect to be successful when you are swinging like this. If he looks at a swing of Manny, A-Rod, Bonds, ect. ect. and says that they are swing or choping the ball, turn and run.

The yellow line is the flight path of the ball and the red line is your bat path. You have a split second chance of making decent contact. Other than that, its a pop up or a ground ball. The game is already hard enough, don't make it any harder.

Truth. Found out today that chopping at ball will get many more pop-ups than hard hit grounders.

Faced some live pitching today for the first time in a while and was popping the ball up A LOT in the beginning. When i finally figured out what I was doing, I was a bit surprised. During my loading phase, I wasn't dropping my hands, but actually raising them, thus dipping my front shoulder and directly chopping at the ball. It was terrible and embarassing that everything I hit was a weak grounder or a pop-up. Then I corrected myself and hit the ball MUCH better.

Comment

Good advice.

HG, what program did you use to make that awesome graphic?

Comment

Originally posted by fungo22
                      Good advice.

HG, what program did you use to make that awesome graphic?

Oh fungo, you are sooo funny. But to be quite honest, if the guy is actually thinking of believing what these guys are telling him, he probably hasn't thought of it this way or he wouldn't have even posted the thread.

This is a stupid drawing I know, but it gets the point across loud and clear I would think.

Comment

... he probably hasn't thought of it this way or he wouldn't have even posted the thread.

This is a stupid drawing I know, but it gets the point across loud and clear I would think.
                        It's not a stupid drawing, babe. It does the job. I'm just jealous. I wanted to post the same thing, but didn't know how to make my lines different colors.

The Ride to Round Rock: The Man in Black is Back. Have bat (but no hat), will travel.
                        Have a good weekend.
                        Last edited by fungo22; 02-23-2006, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fungo22
                          It's not a stupid drawing, babe. It does the job. I'm just jealous. I wanted to post the same thing, but didn't know how to make my lines different colors.

The Ride to Round Rock: The Man in Black is Back. Have a good weekend.

Yea I'm pretty excited about him coming up to The Hitting Zone in Round Rock, Tx. I've got quite a few people lined up for him and I really want to make my facility a place he can hold clinics for everybody with driving distance of the Austin area.

He is blowing up fast, and I know many people would make the drive to see him in person. We have a 5,500 sq/ft turf area, where we could get a bunch of people in and a bunch of cages to use.

I'm assuming you are using Windows, right? Click start, Accessories, Paint. That program is basic but works pretty good for drawing on pictures and creating your own stuff. Even has different colored lines

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X