First game of kid pitch (9U)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First game of kid pitch (9U)

Fall Ball is underway and my 9U had his first taste of the terrible pitching of kid pitch. We made it through 2 total innings and didn't even start the 3rd due to the game time limits. When he went up to bat the first time, I told him "swing and get a hit, walks are boring". He got 4 pitches in the dirt or over his head and as he was jogging down to first base put his hands up like "how the heck was I supposed to hit those???" Second time he got up to bat, he hit a line drive right into the pitcher's glove to end the inning/game.

He did volunteer to pitch and was put in to start the 2nd inning. When he was warming up with me before the game, his pitches were all over the place and I didn't think he was ready to pitch in a game but getting in there is the best way to start. As he was warming up on the mound, the kid on third threw a ball right into his back. He actually did pretty well with his pitches and even struck out two batters (after walking the bases loaded). One kid hit a line drive to center which means he threw a perfect strike. After 7 batters, he started getting tired and hit a kid with a pitch so the coach took him out. That HBP was all he could talk about after the game and we had to remind him how well he did before that.

9U is a little young for being able to get a pitching advantage as a lefty but I am excited to see his improvement over time. He just needs more reps throwing to the net in the back yard and to me.

9u pitching, it will tend to be a ton of walks, especially the earlier games. My kiddo pitched the first inning of the first game. He walked 8 players, got 1 strike out, one ground out, and they pulled him.

Next time he was up, he pitched the entire game with 9 strike outs and 1 walk.

The first time he hit a batter was later in the season. He got shook up by it and they had to take him out soon after due to his pitches all being way off target.

I'd say fun age for baseball, but really the games are a ton of walks.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyTN View Post
      Fall Ball is underway and my 9U had his first taste of the terrible pitching of kid pitch. We made it through 2 total innings and didn't even start the 3rd due to the game time limits. When he went up to bat the first time, I told him "swing and get a hit, walks are boring". He got 4 pitches in the dirt or over his head and as he was jogging down to first base put his hands up like "how the heck was I supposed to hit those???" Second time he got up to bat, he hit a line drive right into the pitcher's glove to end the inning/game.

He did volunteer to pitch and was put in to start the 2nd inning. When he was warming up with me before the game, his pitches were all over the place and I didn't think he was ready to pitch in a game but getting in there is the best way to start. As he was warming up on the mound, the kid on third threw a ball right into his back. He actually did pretty well with his pitches and even struck out two batters (after walking the bases loaded). One kid hit a line drive to center which means he threw a perfect strike. After 7 batters, he started getting tired and hit a kid with a pitch so the coach took him out. That HBP was all he could talk about after the game and we had to remind him how well he did before that.

9U is a little young for being able to get a pitching advantage as a lefty but I am excited to see his improvement over time. He just needs more reps throwing to the net in the back yard and to me.
      In the beginning proper throwing fundamentals are more important than proper pitching fundamentals. Make sure his shoulder is in the right position, he’s stepping in the correct direction and not dropping his elbow.

My son’s first 9u at bat was on a cold, damp April night. The wind chill was upper thirties. The hardest throwing 10yo (50+) hit him in the rear with his first pitch. I could see his eyes well up. Then he said he was fine went to first and stole second. Instant healing!

I don’t remember the pitching being brutally bad in 9/10’s. It was mediocre but not bad.

Comment

The 2nd game was so much better. The kids were pitching better and this gave the kids on both teams more confidence to swing away for hits. I was pleasantly surprised to see more hits than walks. I did have to argue with my son for 10-15 minutes about why wearing a cup was necessary when he was playing catcher. "Just trust me on this one" wasn't convincing enough.

One kid on our team showed up for the first time today and didn't even have his own helmet. I had him borrow my son's helmet because his has the face guard that covers his cheek. 2nd pitch came straight at the kid's face and the kid didn't yet know to get out of the way. The ball hit him right in that face guard and would have done some damage if it was just a normal helmet.

Comment

Cups should be a league rule for all players.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X