Summer Camps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Camps

I would like for my son to attend a Baseball Camp this summer. (1 to 2 week Camp).

Looking to hear from anyone whose son had a great experience at a camp.
    Not interested in a fluff camp, serious baseball only.

Here are some of the Camps I am looking at, can anyone comment from first hand experience?

Doyle Baseball Academy
    Bucky Dent's Baseball School
    Mickey Owens Baseball School
    Sho-Me Baseball School
    Premier Baseball School

Thank You

I know at least one of them I wouldn't let touch my kid's mechanics. I'd be surprised if the others were better. Most likely traditional hands to the ball instruction. Too many cooks spoil the soup. Pick an instructor, whether that is you or a pro and stick with them.

Comment

If your son is a catcher I run a camp in New Hamsphire just for catchers. Drop me a note if you want more info.

[email protected]
      Coach Weaver
      www.catchingcamp.com
      Facebook: New England Catching Camp
      Phil 4:13

Comment

Mark H,

Which camp are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by 105° View Post
          I would like for my son to attend a Baseball Camp this summer. (1 to 2 week Camp).

Looking to hear from anyone whose son had a great experience at a camp.
          Not interested in a fluff camp, serious baseball only.

Here are some of the Camps I am looking at, can anyone comment from first hand experience?

Doyle Baseball Academy
          Bucky Dent's Baseball School
          Mickey Owens Baseball School
          Sho-Me Baseball School
          Premier Baseball School

Thank You
          How old is your son? Most camps before the 14-18 age group are fundamentals camps geared towards taking your money. If it's sponsored by a college chances are you're helping to finance their spring trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Catchingcoach View Post

If your son is a catcher I run a camp in New Hamsphire just for catchers. Drop me a note if you want more info.

[email protected]
            Highly recommend the above...

I also agree with Mark about the above list. Most camps I have seen are run by a HS, college, or pro coaches. They bring a bunch of students/players in to act as clinicians and the quality of instruction is not as good as suggested in the ads. If you are looking for a serious camp find an instructor you like and make arrangements to attend his camp if he is the instructor.

If you are looking for summer baseball where your son/DD can learn and you have something local for a reasonable fee, then you may want to take a chance...

Where do you live?
            "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
            - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Check out the Clemson camp. We have had some players attend that camp and they really got a lot out of it. Great for infielders.

Comment

camps ruuned by high school..my take...the instruction is probably mediocre at best.yes they use the money for the program...heres the upside in my opinion..your kid is in 7th or 8th grade..you send him to the high schools he is going to attend clinics..they get to see this kid perform for a week or two...next year if he tries out and has a BAD tryout,,the coaches may realize he had a bad tryout cause they know hes better than that from him attending camp for the last two years..they get to "know" your kid better..

Comment

Originally posted by BallCoach06 View Post
                  Check out the Clemson camp. We have had some players attend that camp and they really got a lot out of it. Great for infielders.
                  The Clemson camp is a basic fundamentals camp geared towards 12 and up. Their one advanced camp for the 14-18 age group is in December.

Comment

Originally posted by wogdoggy View Post
                    camps ruuned by high school..my take...the instruction is probably mediocre at best.yes they use the money for the program...heres the upside in my opinion..your kid is in 7th or 8th grade..you send him to the high schools he is going to attend clinics..they get to see this kid perform for a week or two...next year if he tries out and has a BAD tryout,,the coaches may realize he had a bad tryout cause they know hes better than that from him attending camp for the last two years..they get to "know" your kid better..
                    Workouts start next week for next year's baseball team. It's three a week all year. It's mandatory to average one a week (to account for other sports) if a kid wants to make varsity. By spring, tryouts should be irrelevant.

But you're right. It's good exposure for a younger kid to go to his own high school's camp for exposure. My son has been going to the high school's basketball camp since he was ten. The "quality" instruction is mostly provided by the high school players. Now it's a crapshoot how seriously the high school kid takes his job. My son told me last year the high school counselors were betting on their players and groups in competition drills and games.
                    Last edited by TG Coach; 06-01-2007, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
                      Workouts start next week for next year's baseball team. It's three a week all year. It's mandatory to average one a week (to account for other sports) if a kid wants to make varsity. By spring, tryouts should be irrelevant.

But you're right. It's good exposure for a younger kid to go to his own high school's camp for exposure. My son has been going to the high school's basketball camp since he was ten. The "quality" instruction is mostly provided by the high school players. Now it's a crapshoot how seriously the high school kid takes his job. My son told me last year the high school counselors were betting on their players and groups in competition drills and games.
                      My son goes to the summer HS camp for a while as well. The coaches know is name and how hard he works. That will help next year. It also helps my son to get a taste of what they expect in different areas. From those camps when my son and I are at the outdoor cages at the HS taking some BP if a coach is in the area they will at the minimum wave and on occasion will come over and check in. At first they didn't know his name but recognized the face but eventually most at least knew his last name.

To expand on a point you made... our HS makes cuts the Thursday (Friday morning) of the first full week of practice (after the two weeks of pitchers/catchers). By that time they have seen the kids many times already in the offseason workouts and hitting sessions and know what is what.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X