Balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance

A couple of my students have a problem maintaining balance after the swing...meaning they fall forward (over the plate) at the end of their swings. Can anyone give me some possible reasons for this and some fixes?

SC

Comment

Originally posted by Swing Coach View Post
      A couple of my students have a problem maintaining balance after the swing...meaning they fall forward (over the plate) at the end of their swings. Can anyone give me some possible reasons for this and some fixes?
      I'm taking this to mean that they're rotating aggressively around their front leg. This is not necessarily a bad thing -- it beats squashing the bug or sliding toward the pitcher. Why do you think this is bad?

As always, it would help to have a video clip. Are they not aggressively making an initial movement toward the pitcher? If so, a strong snapping forward of the rear hip might send the hitter too much to the side and thus resulting in him/her lurching over the plate. Or, the player may be tilting over too much. Or it just may be happening on low outside pitches, which is pretty normal behavior. But, I'm speculating.
      sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

I have to agree with GC and UM on this one. Swing coach (yeah folks here it comes) always compare anything anyone says about hitting, including your own beliefs, to slow motion video of the best in the world.

http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/...lcp2i01.lion_s

See clip 5.
        Last edited by Mark H; 02-21-2008, 09:05 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/images/br6.mov

Comment

http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/...lcp2i01.lion_s

Swing Coach - do you mean like clip 9 in the link provided by Mark H.?

Comment

Originally posted by Swing Coach View Post

SC
              If its a problem... ie messing up results... then fix it, if not don't worry.

If it is affecting them, they are probably swinging to hard.

Watch this guy. He has a sweet swing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-opa...page=1&t=t&f=b

This guy is jerky and all over the place. He somehow gets away with it though. Not everyone can get away with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzgHa...page=1&t=t&f=b

Comment

If the kids are swinging out of there shoes that could be the reason why they are falling over after there swing. Go back to the basics, stance, setup, etc.

drill
                Yogi Berra was asked by a reporter "How do you catch a knuckle ball?" He came right back and said "When it stops rolling"

Comment

Non issue. If they are making solid contact, it doesn't matter.

The ball is already gone, and they have to run to first anyway, so think of it as a head start.

Comment

Yes but more than that, if it looks like the clips linked of elite hitters, then I'd view it as an indication they are doing something correct. IOW, it's likely a positive indicator, not a negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H View Post
                      Yes but more than that, if it looks like the clips linked of elite hitters, then I'd view it as an indication they are doing something correct. IOW, it's likely a positive indicator, not a negative.
                      I agree and would add;

Coach, when they are learning to swing "better" their bodies are learning to handle the "new forces" put on it. Balance will improve as the muscle learn to stabilize those forces.
                      Even then the body will generally move to "catch itself" --in some manner after contact.

Many MLB clips I view are cut off before the body fully responds to the rotational forces.

(I'm assuming some things without a clip)

Comment

Coach, I have always felt that if they fall backwards, big problem. If they fall or step over the plate, then that just might be the result of not having any power left in their body after the swing. I think that goes to "intent." Meaning, hit the crappola of the ball. I've never been one of those just make contact people. I use the phrase "might" because we can only guess since we haven't seen them.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X