Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitcher's Stride

I think that i am overstriding.
    I am 180 (6 ft), and my stride is longer than that, about 6.2 ft.
    I feel that i'm rushing, ball remains high and i loose velocity. Easier for me to pitch inside (high) than outside. I think this are all things that indicate that i'm rushing, so my hips can't turn around as they should be, my head is not above the glove side foot, etc etc.
    I saw that a lot of people in MLB take a stride long about 80% of their height. Dan Haren, Tom Glavine, for example, but there are many others that make a long stride, like roger clemens or roy oswalt.
    why they can do that long stride without having any trouble with control and velocity? Maybe because they're so strong and can compensate the stride with a great hips rotation or what?
    i don't know if i have to shorten this stride or leave it like it is right now and focus on something else. My mechanics are pretty good.

Originally posted by Pitcher1983 View Post
    I think that i am overstriding.
    I am 180 (6 ft), and my stride is longer than that, about 6.2 ft.
    I feel that i'm rushing, ball remains high and i loose velocity. Easier for me to pitch inside (high) than outside.
    Your stride isn't that long.

This sounds more like a problem with rushing.

Rushing is a timing problem where your arm isn't vertical at the high-cocked position when your glove foot lands and your shoulders start rotating. That causes you to leave the ball up or up and in.

See...

- http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/...s/Rushing.html
    Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

Chris how long do you think a pitchers stride should be? 85%?

Comment

There is no set rule on how long a pitcher's stride has to be, but if you feel like you're rushing and pushing the ball then shortening up the stride could fix it a bit. Just shorten it up a bit and try to throw more downhill. Hitting the glove side target low is where you should start all of your bullpens, then work from there.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X