Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tom.guerry
    replied
    Better figure out what Manny does to get good weight shift synch and prevent overflexing of front leg/poorly timed weight shift.

Hint: needs better arm action sequence

Leave a comment:

• Mark H
    replied
    Originally posted by swingbuster
    Richard..

THis is why ,for HS kids, getting them to "look down" for the ball was worth 50 points in BA.
    That much I can vouch for. If you aren't a frequently hit the ball over the light poles hitter, lay off that high pitch, plan to drive the low one and your obp and BA will shoot up. IME anyway.
    Last edited by Mark H; 07-14-2006, 08:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RobV
    replied
    That's awesome Ofhor!

Very good post with some great advice.

For what it's worth, I'm wondering if the previous 2 swings Brandon took (at that at bat) were of some help to him hitting that nice triple.

What I'm thinking is, that it is a sort of "precursor" for him to groove his swing. To feel the swing in his short term muscle memory (if I may) and to really put something on it when he reached a pitch he could drive.

Maybe this relates to seeing the ball better, assisting his timing, or maybe a sort of confidence booster ("I can hit this guy").

Not sure....I'm just throwing this out there.

What I do know, in my case with my son, is that when he is able to take a swing or two, even if he misses, that more often than not on his thrid attempt, he really drives the ball well somewhere. In fact, his only homerun this year was on an 0-2 count where he swung and missed twicew. Only to hit it out on his third swing.

Food for thought
    Last edited by RobV; 07-14-2006, 08:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GFK
    replied
    Did You Notice...

the pitch elevations?

Top of the strike zone - swing and a miss, strike one
    Belt High - Foul, strike two
    Across the Knees - To-the-Fence triple

Would have really been interesting to see what would have happened on that belt-high if he had squared it up on the sweet spot.

Leave a comment:

• swingbuster
    replied
    Richard..

take a careful look comparing the FB he chased up and the low ball he hit hard. Watch the weight stay back on the FB up and the weight move down and into the low ball.

THis is why ,for HS kids, getting them to "look down" for the ball was worth 50 points in BA.

NOW..you know this is coming ..the more vertical bat is on plane for the low pitch location and allows you to rotate the bat head into pitches you might take with a flatter bat position ( Ofie 2).

I have seen kids freezing on the pitch location that I wanted them to hit until I changed their hand set. Picking up BA points with hand set is easy and effective. SO, that is WHY I changed ONE THING and said hit the freaking ball. It worked even though we did not strive for perfection via video analysis. Not enough time and pitch location and hand set were enough given the time

Leave a comment:

• dougmac
    replied
    Originally posted by Ohfor
    .....clip time.

Strike one.

Same at bat. Strike two.

Same at bat.......triple over the center fielders left shoulder.........to the wall.

Here's one of the most important things I can tell you about our venture.

His swing is greatly improved. Yes, there is a ways to go. But swinging is just part of it.

You also have to learn to hit. The great difficulty he has is deciding "why" when he doesn't hit. Was the swing wrong? Should I change something? Did I miss that ball because of the swing....or was my timing off? Did I do something wrong or did the pitcher just get me out? When do I make a change? Next at bat? Or go with the same swing plan the entire night?

These questions may seem obvious and simple. But, when you don't have a history of success, you're always guessing.

We've been guessing for several days/weeks. What is wrong when he doesn't hit.

Well, tonight we learned a helpful lesson......Make sure that when you swing you cut it loose. Make the best decision you can make regarding pitch speed and location. Then, cut it loose. Take your hack. Make sure you give full effort. No delay in decision making. No delay in launch. No worrying about what to do. Is my plan right? Should I load like this? Should I load like that? Should I just no stride? Etc etc.

Until you give the best effort (in both decision making and swing effort) you'll always question your swing. And until you give your best effort, you'll never know the answer.

Brandon has a way of making the video look good, yet, not hit consistently. And, self doubt lies at the center of that.

Tonight, after his first at bat, and after a dugout discussion, he decided to cut it loose for the first time. He separted the mental from the physical. He didn't doubt anything. He stopped worrying. Just saw it and trusted that the work he's done would carry him through.

And, the three clips you see is what we got.

I have to wonder, how many times have we changed this or that because he didn't produce when the entire time it was simply doubt and worry standing in the way.

For the first time in a while.......I trust the video. I believe he gave himself a fair chance mentally.

If you pay attention to this story, you will save yourself and incredible amount of heart ache and trial and error.

Your paragraph about Brandon trusting what he has learned is very good. There comes a time when you just step in the box and say "I am going to rip his ass" and then the old saying about see ball hit ball will make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Mark H
    replied
    What was it I said about the swing being good and it was time to just go use it? Something about sooner or later you learn to drive the car fast by going out and driving the car fast? Can't tune the motor forever. A career is a fleeting thing. I'd let him take the wheel and enjoy that fast car/efficient swing you have helped him tune up and build. Enjoy the fruits.

Leave a comment:

• LClifton
    replied
    Originally posted by Ohfor
    Same at bat.......triple over the center fielders left shoulder.........to the wall.
    Atta boy Brandon.

Sincerely,
    LClifton

Leave a comment:

• swingbuster
    replied
    Some good thoughts..

We talked a lot about " what are we looking for" not" be selective or lay off the high FB." I want them to look for a pitch, expect it, and hit it if it is there.

We looked FB down at the thigh and one ball out on the first pitch. We set our load and posture there and hit the hell out of it.

Leave a comment:

• Ohfor
    replied
    It's Thursday....

.....clip time.

Strike one.

Same at bat. Strike two.

Here's one of the most important things I can tell you about our venture.

His swing is greatly improved. Yes, there is a ways to go. But swinging is just part of it.

You also have to learn to hit. The great difficulty he has is deciding "why" when he doesn't hit. Was the swing wrong? Should I change something? Did I miss that ball because of the swing....or was my timing off? Did I do something wrong or did the pitcher just get me out? When do I make a change? Next at bat? Or go with the same swing plan the entire night?

These questions may seem obvious and simple. But, when you don't have a history of success, you're always guessing.

We've been guessing for several days/weeks. What is wrong when he doesn't hit.

Well, tonight we learned a helpful lesson......Make sure that when you swing you cut it loose. Make the best decision you can make regarding pitch speed and location. Then, cut it loose. Take your hack. Make sure you give full effort. No delay in decision making. No delay in launch. No worrying about what to do. Is my plan right? Should I load like this? Should I load like that? Should I just no stride? Etc etc.

Until you give the best effort (in both decision making and swing effort) you'll always question your swing. And until you give your best effort, you'll never know the answer.

Brandon has a way of making the video look good, yet, not hit consistently. And, self doubt lies at the center of that.

Tonight, after his first at bat, and after a dugout discussion, he decided to cut it loose for the first time. He separted the mental from the physical. He didn't doubt anything. He stopped worrying. Just saw it and trusted that the work he's done would carry him through.

And, the three clips you see is what we got.

I have to wonder, how many times have we changed this or that because he didn't produce when the entire time it was simply doubt and worry standing in the way.

For the first time in a while.......I trust the video. I believe he gave himself a fair chance mentally.

If you pay attention to this story, you will save yourself and incredible amount of heart ache and trial and error.
    Last edited by Ohfor; 07-13-2006, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fungo22
    replied
    Originally posted by chesspirate
    It's all in Steve's DVD's, and there are plenty who have watched them and know what Ohfor is talking about.

Let's see, son with barely any baseball experience, starting in highschool and turns him into a college player??? Sounds like decent succes to me.

It's called adjustments, improving upon things if you will. All do it, it's just that it's harder to see the pro's do it, but that's the basis of any article on a struggling player: them trying to figure out the lost part of thier swing.

Again, son playing college ball, way ahead of many others.
    Also, you see things in the MLB swing, and so does Ohfor, it is a matter of him seeing something in it and you seeing the same something and the key is trying to explain it, so, we'll end up with people teaching what they "see" and the outcome could end up being somewhat similar.

Ohfor is totally at odds with TomG, but didn't Tom recently say that Brandon is close?

Swingbuster, you must also take into consideration the father teaching son dynamic. The two of them on on a road together with the father trying to teach the son. The son may not agree with everything, or the son may agree and have a hard time executing it, we know he's not a world class athlete (admitted by Ohfor) so you must look at overally improvement. And there is the big, big key. Ohfor has video showing almost all of Brandon's steps along the way, right from the beginning.

If nothing less, they should be commended for the large amount of work and progress they've made. A suggestion here and there would do a lot more than negative criticism of the entire situation.
    Good post, Eric.

Leave a comment:

• Ohfor
    replied
    I don't believe it's from the lack of a camera.

I believe it's from that lack of students.

Leave a comment:

• Mark H
    replied
    Originally posted by chesspirate
    Ohfor has video showing almost all of Brandon's steps along the way, right from the beginning.

This is what I was hoping for from Swingbuster. Maybe not from the beginning but at least a before, during and after the BHUT 10 swing magic move mechanics fix.

Leave a comment:

• Ohfor
    replied
    Ofher ...you life revolves around this weird idea of being the sole pocessor of some secret and vital information that you want to hold out as a carrot and skillfully dangle so that nobody can have any of it but you.
    You're mistaken. That is Paul Nyman. I offer more advice than anyone on this site. Nothing held back. Alll you and tom can offer is BHUT and Inward turn. Not hard to beat that. Those don't work (see your students video).

Until you have some notable level of success
    See Chesspirates post. YOU can't have success because no one gives you the time of day. Even your players. By your own admission you had little time with any of the kids on your team. Logic tells me, that if you had anything to offer, the bottom of the lineup or the bench players, someone, may have afforded you a little time. But.......my guess is they see what we know.

...OBTW ..when you do have it this time you will doing many of the things we have told you to do...so we know more about the carrot than you think. Quit fooling yourself as your not fooling anybody else.
    Don't wait up for us. We will never BHUT and we will never inward turn. So, it aint' going to happen. We won't be doing anything you've said.

We will do things under the uniform that you have no clue about though. Things disquised by the uniform and things disquised by the arms and hands; things outside the uniform. You know....the things that really make the difference.....the things you can' afford for anyone to find out about.
    Last edited by Ohfor; 07-09-2006, 07:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chesspirate
    replied
    I really don't think he needs my help, but...

Ofher ...you(r) life revolves around this weird idea of being the sole pocessor of some secret and vital information..(and)...nobody can have any of it but you.
    It's all in Steve's DVD's, and there are plenty who have watched them and know what Ohfor is talking about.

Util you have some notable level of success applying whatever is in the carrot you may keep it.
    Let's see, son with barely any baseball experience, starting in highschool and turns him into a college player??? Sounds like decent succes to me.

You have also had it figured out 3 other times but constant revisionism seems to be taking place and the carrot is changing constantly as developing carrots should.
    It's called adjustments, improving upon things if you will. All do it, it's just that it's harder to see the pro's do it, but that's the basis of any article on a struggling player: them trying to figure out the lost part of thier swing.

..when you do have it this time you will doing many of the things we have told you to do...so we know more about the carrot than you think. Quit fooling yourself as your not fooling anybody else.
    Again, son playing college ball, way ahead of many others.
    Also, you see things in the MLB swing, and so does Ohfor, it is a matter of him seeing something in it and you seeing the same something and the key is trying to explain it, so, we'll end up with people teaching what they "see" and the outcome could end up being somewhat similar.

Ohfor is totally at odds with TomG, but didn't Tom recently say that Brandon is close?

Swingbuster, you must also take into consideration the father teaching son dynamic. The two of them on on a road together with the father trying to teach the son. The son may not agree with everything, or the son may agree and have a hard time executing it, we know he's not a world class athlete (admitted by Ohfor) so you must look at overally improvement. And there is the big, big key. Ohfor has video showing almost all of Brandon's steps along the way, right from the beginning.

If nothing less, they should be commended for the large amount of work and progress they've made. A suggestion here and there would do a lot more than negative criticism of the entire situation.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X